International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Broncos prop Payne Haas set to join list
of most inexperienced Kangaroos

October 4, 2019 7:06pm
  • by Steve Zemek
  • Source: AAP
Payne Haas is on the verge of a Kangaroos call-up.

Payne Haas is on the verge of a Kangaroos call-up.Source: AAP

Like everything he has done during his breakout NRL season, Payne Haas is embracing the challenge as he looks to become the fourth-least experienced Kangaroo in over two decades. Despite having just 24 first-grade appearances under his belt, the Brisbane phenom’s name is expected to be read out when Australian coach Mal Meninga names his squad for upcoming Tests against New Zealand and Tonga on Monday.

Haas and Canberra’s Josh Papalii are the leading contenders to force their way into the Kangaroos’ front row while the likes of Jack Wighton, Cameron Murray and Josh Addo-Carr are also pushing for Test debuts.
An international call up would cap a remarkable season for Haas, 19, who has already made his State of Origin debut for NSW in 2019.

Earlier this week he was crowned the Dally M rookie and prop of the year, recognition for a NRL campaign where he made the most metres by any forward (3,694m). If Haas does receive a Test jumper, he will surpass Braith Anasta (25 games) into fourth on the list of least-experienced players to debut for Australia since the NRL era began in 1988. Only Sione Mata’utia (seven), Brent Tate (16) and David Williams (20) were blooded earlier in their careers. “That’s the highest honour you can get in the game of rugby league,” Haas said of a possible Australian debut.

“If I can get that opportunity, I’ll take it with both hands. It would be a real privilege. I wouldn’t know what to say, words wouldn’t be able to explain it.” Meninga will get a close-up look at the 194cm, 119kg giant after selecting him for the Prime Minister’s XIII against Fiji later this month. In an indication that he is very much in the Test frame, he has been picked in a pack alongside the likes of Jake Trbojevic, Wade Graham and Tyson Frizell.

Payne Haas was named prop and rookie of the year at the Dally M Medal night.

Payne Haas was named prop and rookie of the year at the Dally M Medal night.Source: AAP

“I’m real blessed, I didn’t expect it,” Haas said. “It’s pretty crazy, especially with the year (Brisbane) had, I didn’t expect it. “I’ve been training ever since, just trying to stay fit.” Asked if he would be overawed to receive a Kangaroos call-up, Haas said he would approach it with his typical unflappable self-confidence. “I back myself in any team I’m in,” Haas said. “I feel like I’ll be 100 per cent ready if I get the call up.”

Last edited:
Easily the most exciting bronco to debut in decades. I really hope all the pressure and hype doesn’t get to him, and that he isn’t being rushed to quickly into positions he isn’t mentally ready for.

Easily the most exciting bronco to debut in decades. I really hope all the pressure and hype doesn’t get to him, and that he isn’t being rushed to quickly into positions he isn’t mentally ready for.
I don't follow his faith but I have friends who do and they all seem to have that humble and down to earth trait in common. I'm sure his faith will help keep his feet firmly on the ground.

He's a special once in a lifetime player and we are all lucky to be able to follow his career with the reassurance that he's playing for us.

I hope he starts if he plays. Origin showed he’s not a bench player.

I don't follow his faith but I have friends who do and they all seem to have that humble and down to earth trait in common. I'm sure his faith will help keep his feet firmly on the ground.

He's a special once in a lifetime player and we are all lucky to be able to follow his career with the reassurance that he's playing for us.

One thing I really like about Haas is that he is not a grubby player. Opposition fowards are constantly trying to wind him up but he doesn't react, he just goes about his business.

One thing I really like about Haas is that he is not a grubby player. Opposition fowards are constantly trying to wind him up but he doesn't react, he just goes about his business.
For sure, his sort of comeback to the niggle is an extra 10metres in his next hit-up. He's a joy to behold.

I think you've confused character with faith here. Choc was always a bit of a loud moth dick even before he adopted the Islamic faith.
Was Haas raised Muslim? He's a recent convert. I know he has Pinoy ancestory. Mindanao isn't exactly laid back about faith.

Last edited:

I live in western Sydney and at this point I know, work, dated, and are friends with more Muslims than not. Like all people they run the full spectrum from some amazing people to some total fuckwits. I don’t really put too much weight in his faith as a reflection of character one way or another. Though if it actually is keeping him off the drink, and away from drugs (for many young Muslim Australian men it doesn’t), then that’s half the battle won.

Last edited:
Haas is very, very good and will undoubtedly be great if he keeps it up, there is no doubt.

But I think it’s too early to claim him the best debutant of the last couple of decades as I truly reckon Fifita is going to be right there with him. He showed what he can do this year without decent halves, imagine what he’ll be like when he gets some halves that can give him decent ball.

Different types of players, sure, but I do believe they’ll duke it out for the net 10 years as to who is the most dynamic forward in the game.

But more importantly, who cares! After all, they both play for us.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Gaz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.