Hayden Retires

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Word out that Haydos has decided (and rightly so IMHO) to call it a day. (can't find a link to confirm yet)

Kudos to Hayden for having the courage to make the biggest call of his career and go out as the champion he is on his own terms. Thanks for all the memories Matt it has a pleasure to watch your career unfold over the years, the highs and the lows and I ish you all the best in your future endeavours.

He will leave another big pair of shoes for the Australian team to fill. [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 12,00.html

What a sensational career. It's amazing how he went from such a hesitant, cautious opener at Test level early on (still remember that shocking leave against the Windies like it was yesterday), to a player that bowlers around the world shat themselves at the prospect of being handed the new ball against him.

Sad to see him fall away over the past year but he's had long reign at the top and will be remembered as one of our best ever openers.

All the best to him.

Good on ya Matt. Probably 6 months too late, but that's better than 12 months if you'd gone to England.

Wonderful career. I still remember his debut for Queensland when he flogged a century against Tasmania. I thought at the time he was a Test star of the future. Took him longer than I expected it to but he got there.

A legend of Australian cricket. The owner of Boxing Day.

Thanks Haydos, you've been (and still are) a champion !!!!

Good luck in your retirement ... and i'm especially looking forward to you producing more cookbooks icon_thumbs_u [icon_lol1.

Definitely 6 months too late. Love watching him play but his best days were well behind him. I think he was pretty selfish to play in Sydney. He should have retired before then and allowed Hughes or another up and comer to take his place. A dead rubber is the absolute ideal time to blood a youngster.

Anyway he fought his way back into the team and then went on with Langer to become the dominant opening batsmen in the modern era. Good on him for a great career.

It wasn't really a dead rubber. The Aussies didn't want to lose their #1 on the ICC Test Rankings, so there was plenty to play for. Definitely agree with you though Steve. He fought so hard to get back into the National Squad, let alone the team, that it was almost perfect when he played his first game back after averaging 28 or so after his first stint in test cricket.

Thank you Haydos for all that you have done for Australian Cricket, and Cricket in general, and I wish you a pleasant and fulfilling retirement. Please don't release too many cook books though.

I'm proud to say that I will always be a Matt Hayden fan!

Sad news but it had to come one day. I have been a supporter of Matty ever since I started following cricket as a youngster! He will go down in the history books as one of the best openers of all time and probably the best Australia has had.

Good luck to him in whatever the future may hold.

There are going to be some interesting times ahead now for the Australian cricket team, lets hope they can get through them!

What a legend of the game haydos is !!!!!!! Full credit to him for entertaining the cricket world over many years. I think he went on a series too many but he had an awesome career and will be sorely missed..

Great career. Great Queenslander. [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

Definetly one of the best openers I've ever seen.

I'm sad that he went that last 6 months, much like The King, all he did was tarnish the trademark that is Haydos.

All we need now is Pointless and Lee to follow and the team can start to rebuild.

Matty Hayden, what a legend.

Matt certainly a Bat.

Thanks haydos.

I salute the career of a great player and a great Queenslander

Well Done Haydos [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

What a big blow to Australian cricket. hayden (despite his poor form recently) was a fantastic player throughout his career and one of my all time favourites. I'll be sad to see him leave

Good luck to him.... is one of my all time favorite players.

Came into the squad far far too late IMO but had a fantastic career nonetheless.

Thanks for the memories Haydos!!!

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.