NEWS He’s been lauded the Broncos’ slumbering talent. Is now the time to test Mozer?

BHQArticleImageLarge99

So much hype surrounds Blake Mozer, it is difficult to believe he has just three NRL appearances to his name.

But based on his efforts for the Broncos in his last outing, the time has come to ask whether he needs to be parachuted into the side full-time.

The 20-year-old hooker rose through the junior ranks as one of the elite schoolboys players at Keebra Park State High School.

Lauded in some circles as a young man similar to the great Cameron Smith in terms of game style, Mozer has been largely kept back and given time to develop his craft in the Queensland Cup.

But on his return in the recent defeat to the Dragons, Mozer demonstrated he was up to the task of regular first-grade.

His side trailed 28-6 when he joined the fray with half an hour remaining. The Broncos would score the next four tries, desperately close to a remarkable comeback.

Mozer’s service for Ezra Mam to score was perfect – a wide ball straight into his hands on the run to allow the five-eighth to hit the defensive line at speed and charge over.

He then showed great strength to claim his first NRL try at close range, while his ability to engage ruck defenders opened space out wide for Kotoni Staggs to get the Broncos within four points at the death.

Mozer finished with a try, two linebreaks, 36 metres and 23 tackles, leading coach Kevin Walters to admit the time had come to consider handing him more responsibility.

“We’ll look at that, but Blake’s just one player. Blake was really good [in that game], so that was pleasing for him, and I’m really happy for him because he’s been waiting for an opportunity,” Walters said after the loss to the Red V.

“He certainly grabbed it really well, so well done to him.”

Mozer has been named to take the field again against the Bulldogs on Saturday, after Brendan Piakura suffered a quad complaint. But he will do so from the interchange bench.

While Mozer has been stuck behind starting rake Billy Walters and interchange dummy-half Tyson Smoothy, the reality is Brisbane looked a much greater attacking threat when the youngster was on the field.

Smoothy was moved to lock for the Dragons clash to cover the absence of State of Origin middles Pat Carrigan and Payne Haas, finishing with 88 metres and 51 tackles for just one miss.

Whether that is a long-term ploy, which would involve moving Carrigan up front with Haas, remains to be seen.

Walters’ men will need to win five of their final six games just to remain in the finals reckoning, so they will need to keep rival sides guessing.

Billy Walters admits the idea of moving Smoothy to the forward rotation might not be a consistent ploy, and was designed out of necessity.

But he said Mozer’s presence kept him on his toes, and the youngster’s chance to cement his place would beckon should one of the starting dummy-halves falter.

“Although it was in a losing side, he was one of our best players,” Billy Walters said. “It’s definitely putting the pressure on me and Tyson to hold our spots, but that’s what you need to be playing your best footy.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Billy puts in 110% every game but he looks like a half trying to play hooker. His passing game from dummy half is often not accurate and he oddly for an ex half seems to struggle with passing long. The other thing that hurts our attack is when he stands before passing causing the runners to pull up slightly so they don't over run him. Most hookers (besides Cam Smith) pass directly from the ground for a reason.
If he looked like a half playing half he could play half, but he only looks half that.

Put it this way would any other team swap their 9 for either Billy or Smoothy?
I don't think so. And Paix doesn't seem in high demand either.

I'm pretty sure Mozer would have no trouble getting another gig. What's that tell you?

Reynolds doesn't look happy to me. Maybe he was brought back too early to try to save the season. Cobbo looks broken.

The Dogs played like they really wanted this. We on the other hand were passive. So many dumb plays, looks ad hoc. Line speed crap. So many free metres given away.

We look aimless, tired, unmotivated. The lack of self belief is back. Kevvie really needs to stand up and kick ass.
The things is that Kevvie can’t be the solution to the problem because he is the problem.

Great response

I too don't know if mozer is the answer. Billy has been serviceable

As for Kevin. Thoroughly outclassed by Ciraldo tonight. Kevin was forlorn. He knew it.
What about Billy performance yesterday was serviceable?

I am far from a Billy hater, but he just isn't the answer at hooker.

Why not ... that's what everyone else was doing while fapping over Mozer's performance in his last game against the Dragons
I'm not "everyone else" and I wasn't doing that last week, so...irrelevant. I explained my opinion, you disagree, so be it.

That's exactly what was happening last week. It's been happening a lot longer than that too, only when is suits the Billy haters however.
Sure, but I've not been a part of those conversations at all so it has no relation to my comments.

Unread

Active Now

• barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.