NEWS Hodges buckets Seibold

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Pies has been overtraining the team, claims Justin Hodges:

“They’ve brought a bit of fun back in this week and that’s what they need. All that structural stuff and the week-to-week grind has taken a toll on them. They look mentally fatigued from too much training and information. They’re struggling at the moment and everything looks a little bit too hard. They are finding ways to lose games and when you do that it becomes a habit, just like winning. Whatever team they get on the paddock has to come together as a group and play for each other. That’s all they can do. Rugby league is a simple game. You’ve got to give every player a different challenge and bringing some fun back will hopefully change something for them.”

A simple game

“At the moment there are a few players being a little bit selfish doing their own thing when they need to knuckle down and do what the team requires. It shows that the team is not united when you’ve got certain players doing different things. We have never been in this situation where you’re in a bubble and your freedom is taken away. But that’s the position they’re in at the moment and they have to sacrifice their off-field stuff. Everyone is going through it. They’ve got to do the right thing and do what the team requires you to do.”

Gentle says he's trying to undo Seibold's damage:

“At training we have got plenty of energy and we are trying to make it a bit lighter, too, to try and get the best out of them. It is a long haul with this 20-week (season) we’ve got, but morale does seem OK. We have tried to take everything else away and just concentrate on Saturday night.”

McHunt

Last edited:
That there is why Hodges has no place as a coach. Yes you can over coach, but the more you train the more natural responses are to certain situations. Defending against a crash ball on your line needs to be one of those reactions. Player attitudes to training should be more worry than training to hard. Unless its the Milford I don't train hard because if I trained hard, I'd be hardly training.

I think by over coached he means filling their heads with utter nonsense and lots of it and just confusing the shit out of them.

Last week against rabbits in the pre game, I was watching him talk to flegler and he just looked fucking confused the whole time 😂. Mate he’s a prop it’s not rocket science “hold ball tight and run hard”....

That there is why Hodges has no place as a coach. Yes you can over coach, but the more you train the more natural responses are to certain situations. Defending against a crash ball on your line needs to be one of those reactions. Player attitudes to training should be more worry than training to hard. Unless its the Milford I don't train hard because if I trained hard, I'd be hardly training.
Well you can certainly "over train" muscles, but you'd have to think the trainers are across that.

Yes tiredness does play a factor, but we are failing at the skills, the stuff that training is built to enhance. Look at Parramatta and the Panthers tonight, terrible wet weather conditions, but their skills were golden all evening. Mahanoey kicks in the second half very perfect wet or dry and that show he is putting in at training. We don't even have that.

Yes tiredness does play a factor, but we are failing at the skills, the stuff that training is built to enhance. Look at Parramatta and the Panthers tonight, terrible wet weather conditions, but their skills were golden all evening. Mahanoey kicks in the second half very perfect wet or dry and that show he is putting in at training. We don't even have that.

I think our overall fitness is not where it should be, and that is playing a large part in our demise. As soon as we have to defend consecutive sets, we are all out on our feet and that's when we start to get blown out of the water. Other teams are just fitter. Until we get fitter as a collective, we will continue to struggle.

Last edited:
I could go plenty into the psychological component of training, but let's keep it to the physical for a moment. From the outside it looks like the Broncos are significantly under and over trained concurrently. What? Let it me put it this way. You look at the amount of injuries during practice and you start to think they over train in the space of contact. There have WAY to many structural injuries during non game situations. Hell they have had far more injuries in practice than during the games themselves. You then look at the fitness in the last 20 minutes of a game and you see they are cooked. Part of this is due to poor discipline leading to penalties and an inefficient offence but part of this is just lack of cardio in comparison to other sides. As a dude that has been training people for more years than I want to admit, it is painfully obvious.

So what is the solution? More drills, possibly more weight room work, without question more running and less full on game simulated contact. You would think any professional caliber trainer would pick up on this without hesitation but I am starting to think that professional and Broncos atm don't belong in the same sentence.

I could go plenty into the psychological component of training, but let's keep it to the physical for a moment. From the outside it looks like the Broncos are significantly under and over trained concurrently. What? Let it me put it this way. You look at the amount of injuries during practice and you start to think they over train in the space of contact. There have WAY to many structural injuries during non game situations. Hell they have had far more injuries in practice than during the games themselves. You then look at the fitness in the last 20 minutes of a game and you see they are cooked. Part of this is due to poor discipline leading to penalties and an inefficient offence but part of this is just lack of cardio in comparison to other sides. As a dude that has been training people for more years than I want to admit, it is painfully obvious.

So what is the solution? More drills, possibly more weight room work, without question more running and less full on game simulated contact. You would think any professional caliber trainer would pick up on this without hesitation but I am starting to think that professional and Broncos atm don't belong in the same sentence.

Don’t the roosters have a long list of injuries to their main playing squad as well? Having a mid season break, not allowing teams to train and then a somewhat quick restart to the season was always going to add greater risk of injuries to players. You are right though, the broncos look more cooked than every other team since the bubble began.

Don’t the roosters have a long list of injuries to their main playing squad as well? Having a mid season break, not allowing teams to train and then a somewhat quick restart to the season was always going to add greater risk of injuries to players. You are right though, the broncos look more cooked than every other team since the bubble began.
I could be wrong but it seems like more of the Roosters injuries have happened in game situations. Hell, they lost three on Thursday alone. The restart, no weeks off, etc haven't helped but that said, we look the worst of the lot.

I could be wrong but it seems like more of the Roosters injuries have happened in game situations. Hell, they lost three on Thursday alone. The restart, no weeks off, etc haven't helped but that said, we look the worst of the lot.
Not surprising when we have the worst coach in the game

Again some perspective about injuries.

What Robinson and Bellamy said :

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-14/nrl-mash-sydney-roosters-melbourne-storm/12557924

"Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has never experienced a worse injury crisis,....
"And now, with more fatigue in the game through rule changes and a relentless draw, injuries have taken their toll."
"Not having byes and the rule changes obviously increased the intensity by about 10 or 15 per cent in the game.
"There are consequences for that, a better game and more injuries at the moment."

Bellamy:
"You look at the Roosters' list, and we've probably got two of our most influential players out.

"It's not just about fatigue and soft tissue injuries, it's about when people get fatigue they start putting their bodies in the wrong places to make tackles or absorb the contact and you get injured from there.

"It's something we need to look at because it was like a M*A*S*H unit tonight, there was blokes getting hurt left, right and centre."

Last edited:
Surprised the players union hasn’t come out up in arms yet. Imagine if this was a construction site, it’d get shut down

What’s the AFL injury toll been like in comparison? The lions are playing something like 3 games in 9 days. I’m sure they played two games in 4 days last week.

What’s the AFL injury toll been like in comparison? The lions are playing something like 3 games in 9 days. I’m sure they played two games in 4 days last week.

They don't have the contact. Apparently if you catch the ball on the full the other team isn't allowed to come within 10 metres of you, otherwise your mum gets to ring up their mum and get the other guy in trouble.

Not a good comparison, AFL is soft :happy:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.