NEWS Hodges buckets Seibold

They don't have the contact. Apparently if you catch the ball on the full the other team isn't allowed to come within 10 metres of you, otherwise your mum gets to ring up their mum and get the other guy in trouble.

Sounds like the broncos defence.

........lets throw in a "six again rule...to make the game even faster"

Fuckwits....

That's not true, we know that it hasn't made the ruck faster- if you compare the average play the ball speed from a round this year to last year- 3.43 seconds was the average last year- 0.04 of a second faster this year with the rule and one ref. Not even of note.

What it has done is increase the amount of play the balls- 32.3 extra a game, if you get on the wrong side of that you might be doing 5 extra sets the ball is in play more- that's where teams are lagging if you can't compete with extra ball in play.

It's not faster, there is just more of it.

The net effect is the same. Much greater demands on fitness which then points to the specific ways in which teams train to adapt

The net effect is the same. Much greater demands on fitness which then points to the specific ways in which teams train to adapt

It will be interesting to see the difference in penalties at the end of the season- last year was 5 ruck infringements a game at 22 seconds a stoppage.

If they get that five down and time in play up from 54 minutes that will have an impact on players and the type of players you want.

Lodge has one of the quickest PTB at the Broncos, he was 2.98 sec last year (av 3.5 sec). But he's struggled this year with impact and looked sluggish.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the difference in penalties at the end of the season- last year was 5 ruck infringements a game at 22 seconds a stoppage.

If they get that five down and time in play up from 54 minutes that will have an impact on players and the type of players you want.

Lodge has one of the quickest PTB at the Broncos, he was 2.98 sec last year (av 3.5 sec). But he's struggled this year with impact and looked sluggish.

Those sort of stats are important. They need to be part of training and fitness strategy. Also, what you say about the changed game having an impact on players puts into sharper focus the key point of getting "... the players you want".

Lodge I think is a case in point. Body shapes, body types, resilience and adaptability to the type of training and fitness routines required to cope with a faster game, and as you say, one where there is simply more football, more contact, possibly more aggressive, and the absolute need to form and reform structures so much more quickly. Now, how much you can bench press is no longer as relevant as it was once was. Lean and mean is better, which is not Lodge, nor maybe Offa. It certainly wasn't Flegler although he looks to have adapted well which is a good sign.

I think our slowness to form and reform in attack and defence is a major failure. It largely accounts for why we don't score much and let in so many points. We are just too slow as a team.

Related to this, to the speed and intensity of the game, simply more football, the need for clever kicking is never more important, to constantly build pressure, maintain momentum, keep the opposition on the back foot, simply, to tire them out. That's what the Storm in particular are so good at doing and it makes possible good results without their stars.

Our kicking game needs to improve big time. That's one area Dearden and Croft need to focus - strategic kicking rather than just kicking it anywhere, because that's what you do on the 5th tackle.

Last edited:
Those sort of stats are important. They need to be part of training and fitness strategy. Also, what you say about the changed game having an impact on players puts into sharper focus the key point of getting "... the players you want".

Lodge I think is a case in point. Body shapes, body types, resilience and adaptability to the type of training and fitness routines required to cope with a faster game, and as you say, one where there is simply more football, more contact, possibly more aggressive, and the absolute need to form and reform structures so much more quickly. Now, how much you can bench press is no longer as relevant as it was once was. Lean and mean is better, which is not Lodge, nor maybe Offa. It certainly wasn't Flegler although he looks to have adapted well which is a good sign.

I think our slowness to form and reform in attack and defence is a major failure. It largely accounts for why we don't score much and let in so many points. We are just too slow as a team.
Matt Lodge, on one knee, injured since the 18th Feb, that's your example ?? Really??? Sometimes you get a notion in your head and away you go, finding evidence to support the contention!!

Haas is bigger and less lean but he's not having the problems you've created in your mind. A fully functional Lodge would have absolutely no issue with the rule tweak and looks just like dozens of other props and secondrowers. You must stop making a claim then looking for evidence!

Terrible example. You even KNOW he was on one leg, you know he didn't have surgery, you know he publicly stated he came back too early. How the hell can you expect him to adapt to the new rule when he's never played injury free under the new rule?

Matt Lodge, on one knee, injured since the 18th Feb, that's your example ?? Really??? Sometimes you get a notion in your head and away you go, finding evidence to support the contention!!

Haas is bigger and less lean but he's not having the problems you've created in your mind. A fully functional Lodge would have absolutely no issue with the rule tweak and looks just like dozens of other props and secondrowers. You must stop making a claim then looking for evidence!

Terrible example. You even KNOW he was on one leg, you know he didn't have surgery, you know he publicly stated he came back too early. How the hell can you expect him to adapt to the new rule when he's never played injury free under the new rule?

Your argument dispels itself! What a mass of contradictions. Do you argue for the sake of it?

"Matt Lodge, on one knee, injured since the 18th Feb" ... then why the **** is he playing? The evidence is all there a posteriori. Bleeding obvious if you ask me.

The evidence is as clear as mud. It's on the field and not in my mind. The fact is simply that Lodge is NOT fully fit, never has been this year and shouldn't be playing at all until he is 100% recovered. It's stupid to play him when he is clearly not healed.

What I am also saying is that Lodge to me is carrying way too much weight to rehab his knee properly, he is unfit and shouldn't even be playing while carrying an unhealed injury and I don't think his body type suits the "new" game anyway.

Haas is different. He is genetically if you will, ideally suited to the game as it stands now, same as Fifita. And he is not injured or playing injured.

Your argument dispels itself! What a mass of contradictions. Do you argue for the sake of it?

"Matt Lodge, on one knee, injured since the 18th Feb" ... then why the **** is he playing? The evidence is all there a posteriori. Bleeding obvious if you ask me.

The evidence is as clear as mud. It's on the field and not in my mind. The fact is simply that Lodge is NOT fully fit, never has been this year and shouldn't be playing at all until he is 100% recovered. It's stupid to play him when he is clearly not healed.

What I am also saying is that Lodge to me is carrying way too much weight to rehab his knee properly, he is unfit and shouldn't even be playing while carrying an unhealed injury and I don't think his body type suits the "new" game anyway.

Haas is different. He is genetically if you will, ideally suited to the game as it stands now, same as Fifita. And he is not injured or playing injured.
Avoidance. There's no contradiction in my post. You single out Lodge as 'no longer the right type' to play under the new rules knowing full well you've not see him play fully fit under the new rule! Then how can you know ? A hunch?

Whether he should have played or not is irrelevant and has naught to do with your theory.

You do know that the saying 'clear as mud' means it's not clear? Right?

What's clear and evidenced on the field is that Lodge wasn't effective and we know why. It wasn't anything to do with your latest theory.

Avoidance. There's no contradiction in my post. You single out Lodge as 'no longer the right type' to play under the new rules knowing full well you've not see him play fully fit under the new rule! Then how can you know ? A hunch?

Whether he should have played or not is irrelevant and has naught to do with your theory.

You do know that the saying 'clear as mud' means it's not clear? Right?

What's clear and evidenced on the field is that Lodge wasn't effective and we know why. It wasn't anything to do with your latest theory.

I stand by what I posted. Again let's agree to disagree. The proof of this pudding will become evident when he returns from injury.

I stand corrected for my misuse of the term "clear as mud". Thanks for the correction. Appreciated.

I stand by what I posted. Again let's agree to disagree. The proof of this pudding will become evident when he returns from injury.

I stand corrected for my misuse of the term "clear as mud". Thanks for the correction. Appreciated.
Ok, we can disagree in a civil manner. That's as clear as day!👌 I do agree it would be better to judge Lodges suitability under the new rule after he's fully recovered and note, I'm not saying you're wrong, just perhaps there hasn't been a big enough sample size.

Ok, we can disagree in a civil manner. That's as clear as day!👌 I do agree it would be better to judge Lodges suitability under the new rule after he's fully recovered and note, I'm not saying you're wrong, just perhaps there hasn't been a big enough sample size.

That'll do me

That is such a relief, I thought we were going to have to get you two your own room. It would have been called `Angry old men who shout at clouds room'. I would flit in and out depending on whether it was a medication or non-medication day. :-)

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mpost
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.