Bulldogs
Souths
Broncos

In the "non-McIntyre" system, it would've been

Melbourne vs Warriors
Manly vs North Qld
Parramatta vs Broncos
Bulldogs vs Souths

Broncos still would've got a chance to progress by winning.

This year:

Melbourne vs Roosters
Manly vs Sharks
Broncos vs Warriors
Raiders vs Dragons

Top 4 still would've got a second chance should they be beaten, and still only come up against a team from 5-8. For argument's sake, let's assume:

Melbourne def Roosters
Manly def Sharks
Broncos def Warriors
Raiders def Dragons

This coming week, it would've been:
Broncos vs Sharks
Raiders vs Roosters

Manly and Melbourne through to GF qualifiers.

I still think that's better than the McIntyre system.

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
So....rewarding mediocrity is a good thing?

Lets just make it 16 rounds and have sudden death kock-out after that?

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
$$$$$s.

The top 8 allows for 9 finals matches.
The top 5 allows for 6 games.

A sudden death top 16 would allow for more games in the finals, but only 16 rounds. Not enough.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I don't understand why you think its rewarding mediocrity Hammo? A top 8 in the NRL should reward the top 4 sides because finishing first doesn't mean that side was the best, we don't have a proper home and away season.

The first side could well have played the easier sides twice and / or played the hard sides at home and only once.

So why should they get some massive advantage over the rest.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
The 1st week of the finals is a pure waste of time, giving 7th and 8th a CHANCE to defeat 1st and 2nd is not on, because its bound to happen now and then, basically, the whole point of it, we EXPECT 1st and 2nd to win all the time and thats how its meant to go according to plan, but of course 7th and 8th will find a win here and there eventually, which then sends the Mcintyre system out of whack imo, Winners get rewarded versing minor premiers and so forth, its ridiculus if you ask me.
I dont rate the AFL system that highly either, but I think some top 5 and top 6 scenarios people have come up with are pretty fair dinkum BUT we all know its abut the $$$$... thats the problem.
If $$$ wasn't an issue then I think the top 6 scenario is pretty fair go imo. I'd go as far as top 5, because that would reward 1st the way they deserve BUT for the sake of "play offs" to be exciting and so forth a top 6 scenario seems alright, with maybe more incentives for minor premiers, such as guaranteed home GF etc etc. (again $$$$)

H

HITMAN82

BRL Player
Jun 4, 2008
Hammo said:

Rewarding mediocrity would be giving another home game to a supposedly invincible team who dominate all year then get taken out in great fashion by the bottom-qualifying team at home in front of their loyal supporters [icon_lol1.

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
Hammo said:

Rewarding mediocrity is giving the warriors a home ground semi after they lost almost as many games as they won this year. One good game doesn't make up for a year of mediocrity!

S

Sabu_2008

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
Its all about the dollars. And with the Warriors at home, in a packed stadium, ratings for New Zealand league viewing, which already is a huge incentive for the NRL, will be through the roof. It makes a lot more sense to have the final over here.

F**k the "oh they dont deserve it", its all about the cash, and cash the NRL desperately needs.

Or, they could fly to Suydney, play the Roosters in a 1/3 packed stadium.

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
ALH said:
I am happy that Brisbane get the home semi but do people think that Melbourne and the Roosters should get the home finals as they finished higher on the ladder despite their losses.

Warriors beat Melbourne at Olympic Park. That alone should be enough to grant them a home semi.

Roosters blew a 14-point lead at home. That alone should be enough to cost them a home semi.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Agree Mick! Any advantage gained over the preliminary rounds is made null and void after the first week of the finals - why should you get a further reward for losing?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
so roosters won one game more than us yet they deserve 2 home games and we deserve none? what a ridiculous idea.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dee
  • Painin the Haas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.