How do we look now if we won the 2011 gf?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I'm sure the what ifs about the 2011 season have been spoken about to death but it's the off season so I thought it would be interesting to look at this hypothetical from a slightly different point of view.

So let's say Lockyer isn't injured, we go on to beat manly thanks to his leadership (we beat them in round 26), and we went on to thump the worriers (who barely showed up to the gf and were steamrolled by us earlier in the finals)...How would the 2015 broncos look had we gone all the way that year?

How do you think that changes the narritive for the Broncos between 2012-2015?

- Firstly, Hook wins a premiership in his first season as head coach. That would buy him a huge amount of good faith, and possibly be talked about as one of the elite coaches despite his short comings (think a more competent Ricky Stuart). It's hard to imagine he wouldn't still be our 2015 coach.

- Peter Wallace is a premiership winning half. Does he get a life contract? Does Hunt think his chances are too slim under a half who has locked up the starting spot for the foreseeable future and move on?

- Despite such a young roster, does the salary cap burden of winning a primership cause us to lose a lot of our rising talent, and would you consider the loss of players like Gillett a huge loss or blessing in disguise?

- Does winning on such a huge stage give our young team the confidence and experience to survive in a Hook coached post-Lockyer era? Do we live up to the huge potential that was being hyped about in 2011?

Interesting to see how you guys think the last few years would've panned out and how we'd be looking going into 2015 if we had won that year.

Would we be a stronger team for it now? Would we have been more willing to give Hook, Wallace, Hannent, Norman, Hoffman, etc a few more seasons before saying enough is enough? (would the extra patients pay off or waste even more time before rebuilding?).

Haha. Dud thread? I always get nervous before I click the "post thread" button.

My heart bleeds for 2011. Lockyer's name would've been written in the stars

It just makes you wonder doesn't it. We were one of the best and most consistent teams that year and it was an opportunity lost but a good year overall. From memory the media called us a club in crisis and didn't give us much chance before that season.

It would certainly have satisfied enough to make the last 3 years a lot more bearable.

Haha. Dud thread? I always get nervous before I click the "post thread" button.

Great discussion point. I'll respond when I've had a good think about it.

I certainly wouldn't have been sharpening a knife for the past 3 years while thinking of Gerard Beale's spine....but you wanted to talk about the Broncos so I digress

We'd likely be in a shitter position today because Griffin would have got more of what he wanted. I mean, Tim Sheens won a premiership and he's still riding those coat tails.

But, we'd have won a premiership. And they are all that count. So I guess we're still worse off for it until we've won another premiership, and even then, you'd think that'd have to happen in the next 2 or 3 years for it to count as a trade off, as I'm sure after 2017 we'd have recovered from post premiership winning Hook finally getting the hook.

But either way we'd have Milford at the club. At least with WB instead of Griffin he's not here putting on 100kg of muscle.

Premierships are more important than Griffin. I still remember 2006 fondly, though it's been a while now.

We'd likely be in a shitter position today because Griffin would have got more of what he wanted. I mean, Tim Sheens won a premiership and he's still riding those coat tails.

But, we'd have won a premiership. And they are all that count. So I guess we're still worse off for it until we've won another premiership, and even then, you'd think that'd have to happen in the next 2 or 3 years for it to count as a trade off, as I'm sure after 2017 we'd have recovered from post premiership winning Hook finally getting the hook.

But either way we'd have Milford at the club. At least with WB instead of Griffin he's not here putting on 100kg of muscle.

That's the thing tho right, as long as we have won, who cares? Thats what i hear when bennet brings blair and boyd and cops criticism from myself and others. Its a tough question. Do you sacrifice long term consistency for short term success?

That's the thing tho right, as long as we have won, who cares? Thats what i hear when bennet brings blair and boyd and cops criticism from myself and others. Its a tough question. Do you sacrifice long term consistency for short term success?
And entering the room we have agenda...

Here is my take,

If not for Gerard Beale's knee breaking the jaw of our inspirational captain, future immortal and all-around champion, then I think the following happens

1. We have a 7th premiership in our trophy cabinet

2. Griffin keeps his job

3. We likely lose several of our younger players, which IMO would have been a blessing for Hook. I think one of his biggest problems was he wasn't able to make the tough calls when it came to the players that pkayed for him in the NYC. Many of whom, he developed into NRL regulars.

I imagine Hoffman would've had a longer run at fullback and Norman would've had a hold on the number 6 jersey for the same reason. I don't think Norman would still be here though.

Hook still as coach...blergh.

I imagine Hoffman would've had a longer run at fullback and Norman would've had a hold on the number 6 jersey for the same reason. I don't think Norman would still be here though.

Hook still as coach...blergh.

On Hoffman it would have been interesting what happened there. If we had won the premiership it would have been with Beale as our fullback, so does that mean the club tries to hold on to him more?

Norman would be gone regardless thank god.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Cavalo
  • Lurker
  • IceWorks
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.