How do we look now if we won the 2011 gf?

Haha. Dud thread? I always get nervous before I click the "post thread" button.

Nah mate......just a wise crack about (would the extra patients pay off or waste even more time before rebuilding?)

Extra patients .....Nurse !

:noidea:

Sorry....I guess you had to be there. Lets move on.

Nah mate......just a wise crack about (would the extra patients pay off or waste even more time before rebuilding?)

Extra patients .....Nurse !

:noidea:

Sorry....I guess you had to be there. Lets move on.

I thought it was funny... But I've got a shit sense of humour lol

I actually have no idea what would have happened but do remember the games well as l was on my honeymoon and watched the first game in Munich (missing the Octoberfest opening) but did have a fucken awsome day. Second game when Locky did not play l watched in Florence and l had a shit day. Did pump some nice wine to down my sorrows.
Fucken Beale

Good thread idea, theshed. As you say it probably has been discussed ad nauseum but it's always fun to ponder what if...

A few of my thoughts:

- I don't think we would have won the premiership in 2011 even if Lockyer was uninjured. We would have been very tough to beat, no doubts there, but Manly were primed and if you do a re-watch of our game against the Dragons, rather than rely on the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, it's easy to see the cracks were appearing and we were starting to run out of steam. We had A LOT of possession in that game and were camped on the Dragon's line multiple times only to come up with two tries. As WB once said, you never hear about the heroes in a losing side, but some of the Dragons were absolutely immense in that game.

- I feel for Gerard Beale. He's had a lot **** hung on him but what some of you blokes seem to forget is that if he doesn't take that ball, the Dragons most likely regain possession and we struggle to hold them out so we lose anyway. At that point in the game, I think they had the upper hand.

- Not sure about Griffin. If we had won or not, I don't believe we ever really looked like a genuine premiership threat over the last few years so I doubt he would be our coach heading into 2015 regardless if we had a premiership or not.

- I think Beale is a better fullback than Hoffman and would have been happy to give him a genuine crack at number 1. We looked a lot more dangerous in attack, he's a good support player and safe under the high ball. I think the club should have hung onto him.

Did Beale need to jump almost a metre into the air to catch that ball? Those "flashy" takes always annoy me in Rugby League. Slater often did it too (and often used to drop the ball because of it).

Did Beale need to jump almost a metre into the air to catch that ball? Those "flashy" takes always annoy me in Rugby League. Slater often did it too (and often used to drop the ball because of it).

I think it's just to make sure no one touches them. The pressure of taking the ball mid-air is less because of the rules.

If he stayed on the ground, the Dragons would have had every right to smash the shit out of him.

I didn't think it was necessary. If I recall, there wasn't really any Dragons player contesting for the ball.

Last edited:
Not much changes IMO. Lockyer was always leaving and therefore we were destined to struggle anyway.

It's not as if winning a premiership would've made Wallace go up a level or whatever, he tried his best, he just wasn't good enough to be what we needed him to be.

I think we would've taken it out if Lockyer stayed fit, I don't think we were running out of steam, the Dragons were a bloody good side back then, remember they were the reigning premiers and the game was a hell of an arm wrestle. We were getting in our groove of grinding out results which is the quintessential Bennett finals strategy.

As a fan I could have probably lived on the 2011 premiership with Lockyer bowing out a champion, in exchange for 10 years of Griffin-bore mediocracy. There's not many stories that end better than that.

It would have also been a great **** you to Greg Inglis.

We've had 3 genuine title opportunities and each have been cruelled in dramatic circumstances since 2006 (2008, 2009 and 2011). Which kind of sucks.

I think 2009 was the better chance for us. Dave Taylor was in a rare form streak and Lockyer/K.Hunt were at the peak of their powers, with great service from Wallace and rookie McCullough. That and we had genuine finishers with Folau and Yow Yeh, let alone a fit Hodges.

As far as our chances go, I'd probably would have ranked then 11 >> 08 >>> 09

Don't think we were anywhere close to being a real chance in 09, especially with all those rookies. The team was very much a WIP, and you can't win premierships when you get smashed by 50 by Canberra.

We probably would have been killed by Manly in 08, just like the Storm.

11 was the best chance. A very tough match against Manly (even with Lockyer) and it pretty much would have been ours.

Last edited:
As far as our chances go, I'd probably would have ranked then 11 >> 08 >>> 09

Don't think we were anywhere close to being a real chance in 09, especially with all those rookies. The team was very much a WIP, and you can't win premierships when you get smashed by 50 by Canberra.

We probably would have been killed by Manly in 08, just like the Storm.

11 was the best chance. A very tough match against Manly (even with Lockyer) and it pretty much would have been ours.

What do you think of Melbourne? I have a theory that if we would have beat Manly then the Storm would have beaten the Warriors.
Storm were probably guilty of looking a week ahead, with the Warriors pulling off a major upset.

I think if they knew Broncos were there they would have a genuine shot of payback for the 2006 upset, probably would have motivated them a bit more.

What do you think of Melbourne? I have a theory that if we would have beat Manly then the Storm would have beaten the Warriors.
Storm were probably guilty of looking a week ahead, with the Warriors pulling off a major upset.

I think if they knew Broncos were there they would have a genuine shot of payback for the 2006 upset, probably would have motivated them a bit more.

If that were the case, they'd still be guilty of looking a week ahead though.

They had just as much reason to pay Manly back too, when they smashed them 40 - 0 in 2008.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Skyblues87
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Howie
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.