How do you rate our players

R

Rookie Alan

QCup Player
Apr 9, 2019
For the past several seasons, We’ve been told the club is full of great talents, but is that right? I find it hard to believe but IMO our team is full of average players. So how do you rate our players compared to their counterparts through the comp.

Bench means they can’t find any other 15 team give them a Top 13 position, I know some of the kids might have great potential, but I only judge based on the performance so far.

1. Jamayne Isaako - Bench
2. Corey Oates – Bench
3. Jesse Arthars – Bench
4. Darius Boyd – Reserve Grade or Retire
5. Herbie Farnworth – Bench
6. Anthony Milford – Barely starter or Bench utility
7. Brodie Croft – Starter
8. Tom Flegler – Bench
9. Cory Paix – Reserve Grade
10. Payne Haas – Top 5 of the league
11. Ethan Bullemor – Reserve Grade
12. Jamil Hopoate – Reserve Grade
13. Pat Carrigan – Starter
14. Tesi Niu – Reserve Grade
15. Joe Ofahengaue – Reserve Grade

16. Rhys Kennedy – Reserve Grade
17. Matt Lodge – Barely started or Bench

———————

18. David Fifita - Top 5 of the league
19, TPJ - Top 15 of the league
20, Alex Glenn - Bench
21, Jack Bird - Top 15 of the league ( full back or center )
22, Jake Turpin - Starter
23, Kotoni Staggs - Top 10 of the league
24, Dearden - Bench or Reserve Grade

For the past several seasons, We’ve been told the club is full of great talents, but is that right? I find it hard to believe but IMO our team is full of average players. So how do you rate our players compared to their counterparts through the comp.

Bench means they can’t find any other 15 team give them a Top 13 position, I know some of the kids might have great potential, but I only judge based on the performance so far.

1. Jamayne Isaako - Bench
2. Corey Oates – Bench
3. Jesse Arthars – Bench
4. Darius Boyd – Reserve Grade or Retire
5. Herbie Farnworth – Bench
6. Anthony Milford – Barely starter or Bench utility
7. Brodie Croft – Starter
8. Tom Flegler – Bench
9. Cory Paix – Reserve Grade
10. Payne Haas – Top 5 of the league
11. Ethan Bullemor – Reserve Grade
12. Jamil Hopoate – Reserve Grade
13. Pat Carrigan – Starter
14. Tesi Niu – Reserve Grade
15. Joe Ofahengaue – Reserve Grade

16. Rhys Kennedy – Reserve Grade
17. Matt Lodge – Barely started or Bench

———————

18. David Fifita - Top 5 of the league
19, TPJ - Top 15 of the league
20, Alex Glenn - Bench
21, Jack Bird - Top 15 of the league ( full back or center )
22, Jake Turpin - Starter
23, Kotoni Staggs - Top 10 of the league
24, Dearden - Bench or Reserve Grade

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying that Isaako, Oates, Arthars, Farnworth, Flegler, Glenn, Ofahengaue and Dearden couldn't land a starting gig anywhere else in the NRL?

Is that a piss take?

I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I am adamant there is almost no-one in our club besides Fifita, Haas and maybe Carrigan, that I wouldn’t swap for their counter-part in another club.

My honest belief is that most of our group, really just aren’t that great and for years, perhaps a decade or so we haven’t been anywhere near ruthless enough with our playing group to be a consistent top 4 team.

Which is why we haven’t been a consistent top 4 team. We want to be the welfare club. Great. Continue to enjoy watching other teams win comps then...

Only haas, Fifita, tpj and staggs would get a run at another top ranked club. Maybe Croft as well. So basically our backline is shithouse and it’s no wonder we can’t score a point.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying that Isaako, Oates, Arthars, Farnworth, Flegler, Glenn, Ofahengaue and Dearden couldn't land a starting gig anywhere else in the NRL?

Is that a piss take?
Base on this season performance, I’d say Isaako, Oates, Glenn, Ofa don’t deserve a starting gig for sure, and apparently Dearden needs more time in Reserve Grade to develop.

Arthars, Farnworth and Flegler is more like barely Starter but bench for sure, and tbh we’d just look at titan or warriors or bulldogs, arguably you can say they are better than their starters

Base on this season performance, I’d say Isaako, Oates, Glenn, Ofa don’t deserve a starting gig for sure, and apparently Dearden needs more time in Reserve Grade to develop.

Arthars, Farnworth and Flegler is more like barely Starter but bench for sure, and tbh we’d just look at titan or warriors or bulldogs, arguably you can say they are better than their starters

Well I mean.. that's incorrect. Regardless of their form over the past 2 games, all of those players would start for other clubs.

Isaako walks in to a starting wing and primary goal kicker spot for the Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Cowboys, Knights and Dragons.

Oates would get a wing spot for all of those teams, and would push for a starting edge role at all of those clubs besides the Dragons.

Glenn would be a walk-in starting edge player for the Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Cowboys, Knights, Rabbitohs and possibly the Tigers.

Ofahengaue would comfortably get a starting prop/lock gig at the Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Knights, Sharks, Dragons and possibly the Raiders.

Dearden would get an opportunity to start at the Bulldogs, Titans and quite possibly the Dragons.

Well I mean.. that's incorrect. Regardless of their form over the past 2 games, all of those players would start for other clubs.

Isaako walks in to a starting wing and primary goal kicker spot for the Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Cowboys, Knights and Dragons.

Oates would get a wing spot for all of those teams, and would push for a starting edge role at all of those clubs besides the Dragons.

Glenn would be a walk-in starting edge player for the Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Cowboys, Knights, Rabbitohs and possibly the Tigers.

Ofahengaue would comfortably get a starting prop/lock gig at the Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Knights, Sharks, Dragons and possibly the Raiders.

Dearden would get an opportunity to start at the Bulldogs, Titans and quite possibly the Dragons.
The difference between our opinions is too big for me to bother arguing with you, if it makes you happier, I can say we have a world class players.

The difference between our opinions is too big for me to bother arguing with you, if it makes you happier, I can say we have a world class players.

You're really going to die on this hill huh?

The hill in which you're saying that Nick Meaney, Christian Crichton, Ben Hampton and Hymel Hunt are superior players to Jamayne Isaako and Corey Oates..

The hill in which you're saying that Dean Britt, Keegan Hipgrave, Isaiah Papali'i, Gavin Cooper, Sione Matu'utia, Ethan Lowe, Jaydn Su'A and Luke Garner are all superior edge back rowers to Alex Glenn..?

The hill in which you're saying that Sam Lisone, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Herman Ese'ese, Jack Williams, Korbin Sims, James Graham and Dunamis Lui are all good enough to keep Ofahengaue out of a starting 13?..

giphy.gif

Here we go, where players rank (being generous) at least behind:

1. Isaako - Tedesco, Tturbo, Ponga, Paps, Holmes, Nicole’s-Grandad, RTS
2. Oates - Ferguson, Gagai, Feldt, Morris, Tupou, Mansour, To’o, Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, others
3. Staggs - Mitchell, Jennings, Manu, Morris, Roberts (Staggs is up there)
4. Boyd - Every other backline player in the game
5. Arthars - Very low on the list
6. Milford - Munster, Morgan, Keary, Wighton, Walker, Brown, Foran, arguably not even the best six at his own club and he’s getting a million a year!
7. Croft - DCE, Cleary, Townsend, Pearce, the Pom in Canberra, Moses
8. Lodge - He’s second-tier behind Bromwich, Haas, Papalli, Paulo
, etc
9. Turpin - Smith, Hodgson, Friend, Brailey, McInness, Korisau, Cook
10. Haas - Already the best
11. Fifita - Cordner, Frizell (he’s up there)
12. TPJ - Second-tier, maybe third-tier
13. Carrigan - Jurbo, Murray, Radley, JT2, Finucane, Arrow

That’s appalling and they are being paid huge money to be mediocre.

You're really going to die on this hill huh?

The hill in which you're saying that Nick Meaney, Christian Crichton, Ben Hampton and Hymel Hunt are superior players to Jamayne Isaako and Corey Oates..

The hill in which you're saying that Dean Britt, Keegan Hipgrave, Isaiah Papali'i, Gavin Cooper, Sione Matu'utia, Ethan Lowe, Jaydn Su'A and Luke Garner are all superior edge back rowers to Alex Glenn..?

The hill in which you're saying that Sam Lisone, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Herman Ese'ese, Jack Williams, Korbin Sims, James Graham and Dunamis Lui are all good enough to keep Ofahengaue out of a starting 13?..

giphy.gif
Yes, I do rate Nick Miney better than Isaako even you comfortablely switch Isaako current position fullback to winger so he get a better chance to squeeze into top 30 wingers of the league?

And also bulldog’s winger Jayden Okunbor got stood down just before season open, and that’s why Christian Crichton starts, but I won’t call him a regular starter, do you agree? The same goes you compare Alex Glenn to Dean Britt, at that position it used to be Corey Harawira-Naera, so what do you think?

What I’m suggesting is they can’t get a regular starting gig, but you transfer that into they can’t find a spot in a shitty team full of suspension or injuries, that’s not how this supposed to play, right, Buddy?

2. Oates - Ferguson, Gagai, Feldt, Morris, Tupou, Mansour, To’o, Vunivalu, Addo-Carr, others
6. Milford - Munster, Morgan, Keary, Wighton, Walker, Brown, Foran, arguably not even the best six at his own club and he’s getting a million a year!
, etc

You’d pick Turpin ahead of Mahoney?

No I wouldn’t totally forgot him and to be fair, I was trying to be as generous as possible.
All good. I was genuinely curious. I really rate Mahoney. I’d have him as QLD hooker this season.

1. Jamayne Isaako - Tedesco, RTS, Ponga, Turbo, Mitchell, Holmes, Pap, CNK, Gutterson, DWZ, Doueihi, Moylan ( and other players who can play fullback: Jahrome Hughes, Zac Lomax, Alex Johnston......)
Probably he could compete with Brimson or Dylan Edward

2. Corey Oates – Tupou( 2 season ago I easily rate Oates over Tupou, but Oates just keeps putting on shitty shows while Tupou develop his ball handling etc) Morris, Vunivalu, Addo- Carr, Mansour, To’o, Gagai, Graham, Feldt, Cotric, Rapana, Ferguson, Sivo, and he’s really among 10 others I can’t decide who’s better, and tbh, I think Oates already pass his peak sadly.

3, Glenn - Tpj, Fifita, Bateman, KiKau, Graham, Nikora, Liam Martin, Mitchell Aubusson, Kaufusi, Bromwich, Frizell, Sims, Leilua, Whitehead, Matterson and others, IMO he’s probably at best Josh Jackson level atm. I thanks his contributions to the club, but it won’t change the fact he’d be barely staters or more likely a bench.

4, As for Ofa, I’m a bit bored with this game, is he in top 30 forward of the league? Highly doubtful, but he’s definitely top 30 paid forward

I don’t know if I’d go that far, but I am adamant there is almost no-one in our club besides Fifita, Haas and maybe Carrigan, that I wouldn’t swap for their counter-part in another club.

My honest belief is that most of our group, really just aren’t that great and for years, perhaps a decade or so we haven’t been anywhere near ruthless enough with our playing group to be a consistent top 4 team.

Which is why we haven’t been a consistent top 4 team. We want to be the welfare club. Great. Continue to enjoy watching other teams win comps then...

I really think we have a great core of talent here, but mainly its either blokes who are way too green or blokes coming to the end of their careers. We dont really have the players around in the area in between. Our depth is kids or players with very little NRL between them. The balance is all wrong and the squad make up is a poor mix imo.

, etc

Not to pile on, but you could probably replace current Darius with a lot of recently retired outside backs pretty comfortably too.

Hodges, Tate, Inglis, Gasnier, Matt King, Lyon for example.

Hard to imagine any of them would be worse.

Not to pile on, but you could probably replace current Darius with a lot of recently retired outside backs pretty comfortably too.

Hodges, Tate, Inglis, Gasnier, Matt King, Lyon for example.

Hard to imagine any of them would be worse.
Well, Titan beat Tigers after dropping Wallace and Peats, you’ll certainly start wonder what we could achieve if we drop Boyd

If I could cull players from our 'best' starting 13 I'd make the following calls:

1. Isaako - gone if we can secure a top tier FB, keep if not. He's been playing well at the back.
2. Oates - gone
3. Staggs - keep
4. Boyd - gone
5. Arthars - keep as depth. He's not on too much money.
6. Milf - gone
7. Croft - keep
8. Lodge - re-sign
9. Turpin - keep but aim to sign Grant or someone like Walters
10. Haas - re-sign
11. Fifita - re-sign
12. TPJ - re-sign
13. Carrigan - re-sign

EDIT: Bird - gone because of his salary

Last edited:

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Tristan1990
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • Dexter
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • mrtij
  • Howie
  • ozzball
  • The Strapper
  • bert_lifts
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
  • azza.79
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.