How I'll turn Brisbane Broncos into warhorses, reveals performance boss Alex Corvo

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
BRISBANE performance boss Alex Corvo, one of the coaches behind Melbourne Storm's decade of dominance, is on a mission to turn the Broncos into warhorses.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/how-ill-turn-brisbane-broncos-into-warhorses-reveals-performance-boss-alex-corvo/story-e6freon6-1226811524646

Having noted the evolution of the NRL's superstars into 80-minute performers and Brisbane's sequence of second-half collapses last year, the Broncos' pre-season focus has been on preparing stayers.

Head coach Anthony Griffin and Corvo have made it painfully clear during conditioning sessions they are less concerned with size of players' biceps than they are in big-hearted finishers who can use their superior fitness to execute matchwinning plays.
The emphasis, according to the head of performance, is on preparing combinations who can deliver repeat power efforts until the death.
"You don't want them just going through the motions. You want a group in those (last) five minutes who are capable of an extraordinary effort," Corvo said.
"If that effort's below your best it's probably not going to be a matchwinning one.
"More and more games are going to be in the balance up until the very end.
"The teams who win those close games, it's not a coincidence.
"They're the ones who are better prepared, better structured and have a plan for those minutes."

"We look for backrowers capable of playing halves of footy, not needing to be interchanged.
"And there's an expectation, if you're a middle forward, of playing (at least) 20 minutes.
"If you're not capable of 20 minutes of high intensity footy you're a bit of a passenger.
"It means some one else has to play more minutes."
The Broncos have been enduring more running and longer sessions over summer as they gallop towards next month's trials and the season-opener against the Bulldogs on March 7.
There is, however, some comfort for the less athletic footballers in the squad.
"There's also room for pure footballers," Corvo said.
"If you recruited purely on physical capabilities, Cameron Smith, the best player in the competition, probably wouldn't be an NRL player
"If he was at the Magic Millions you probably wouldn't have bought him as a colt, but he has other qualities."

Last edited:
Re: How I'll turn Brisbane Broncos into warhorses, reveals performance boss Alex Corv

do work, Alex ...

Re: How I'll turn Brisbane Broncos into warhorses, reveals performance boss Alex Corv

This is in stark contrast to the last few seasons that's consistently been "player X had added 4kg of bulk to his frame and is the strongest he's ever been". Which coincided with our decline in form and most importantly laziness in defence.

Yeah, I remember every Broncos article used to be about bulk and muscle. Hopefully we finally catch up to the rest of the competition with fitness and skill.

From what I've seen, he has been doing well. The boys look fitter. Hopefully all the hard work pays off and we see results.

You only need to look at what he did at Storm to see that this guy knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Holy shit. Sounds like we have someone at the club who knows how to play footy!

its been said before but other than potentially barba its the best signing the club has made in years.

i think the bit about the props playing 20 mins of high intensity footy might suggest they will be better rotated this year.

i think the bit about the props playing 20 mins of high intensity footy might suggest they will be better rotated this year.

I think so too, it is interesting that they said that.

This article has me really excited for this season. It's really great to be reading pre season articles that are focused around fitness and stamina instead of 'player x is the biggest he has ever been'

As has already been said I feel that time will show corvo to be one of one greatest signings.

I'm excited, hope he really does get install some stamina in the players. Blind freddy could see we've been lacking in stamina for ages.

Camp from tomorrow for three days.

Camp from tomorrow for three days.

Where's it at 1910

I loved reading this, it's the type of leadership we require from our coaching staff to not let mediocrity thrive like it has for us the last 2 seasons! Well done Corvo, sounds like we needed you mate. C'mon boys, let's make 2014 our best season in a long time!!!!

Wasn't sure where else to put this.
Interesting.

From League Talk Facebook page

The name of Warriors new Head Trainer Alex Corvo has been linked with their early season success & so it seems,team success does follow Him.
The Alex Corvo Effect:
* Left Storm at end of 2013 Season after 5 Grand Finals
* Next year Storm missed Top 4.Had made Top 4 in 6/7 previous seasons.
* Joined Broncos 2014 after they missed finals in ‘13. Made finals all 4yrs including Grand Final in 2015.
* So far in 2018 Warriors ✅ ✅

At the time he was very well known, and he certainly did good work. I wonder if the new off field cap screwed this for us, or if Wayne was just an idiot for letting him head to Kiwi.

Surely though his systems should still be in place ?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • jarro65
  • Reds2011
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • jd87
  • Purple Pills
  • NSW stables
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • Redfern_1980
  • Dazza 92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Skyblues87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.