How long will Parker successor wait at Broncos?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS young gun Jai Arrow is stuck behind one of the NRL’s most durable players but he is happy to bide his time.

Arrow will add another representative jersey to his cabinet when he turns out for the Queensland Residents against NSW Residents at Langlands Park on Sunday.

The 20-year-old has been a standout for Norths, playing 80 minutes regularly in his debut season in the Intrust Super Cup.

It is no surprise to see Arrow dominating against men given has been touted as a star of the future after representing Queensland at under-16, 18 and 20 levels and played for the Junior Kangaroos last year.

He was last season’s player of the year, forward of the year and players’ player for the Broncos under-20s.

At 187cm and 101kg, Arrow cuts a similar figure to the man he has been earmarked to one day replace, Broncos captain Corey Parker (188cm, 101kg).

Just when that day comes is the million-dollar question.

Parker, who turned 34 on Thursday, is the most-capped forward in NRL history with 331 appearances and on Friday night was set to play his 13th Test match.

He is likely to break Darren Lockyer’s NRL record (355 games) next year and could play on in 2018 if he maintains his form.

Like Parker, Arrow is a hard-working middle forward renowned for his tireless ethic rather than exuberant plays.

There is no place for both of them in the same team but Arrow is not worried about that for now.

“I’ve played lock since I was 11,” he said.

“I really like it in the middle. I like the heavy contact and tackling.

“Long-term I definitely want to play there but I’m happy just biding my time and playing good footy.

“He is the best lock in the game and to learn off him is something kids dream of. Every now and then he gives me a few little tips.

“He’s a good guy to have at the club. He’s very approachable if you need some tips.’’

Arrow, who is contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season, came through Gold Coast league nursery Keebra Park, making his under-20s debut in 2012 while he was in Year 12.

Physically, the Intrust Super Cup has been a step up from what he has played for the past three years and that is exactly what Arrow was looking for.

“It’s a lot more physical than the under-20s which is a good thing,” he said.

“I want to be up to playing against men. I’m not where I want to be physically yet but I’m starting to get used to it.

“It’s definitely a big step up from the under-20s and QCup to NRL.

“I want to physically get myself right first. If the day comes to play NRL then it does.

“If it doesn’t, I’ve done all I can and that’s all I can ask from myself.’’

The Residents on Friday ran a slick opposed session against the Gold Coast Titans and will finalise their preparations on Saturday.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/75154d9f644e0f227f45316540173db3

Great attitude, future rep player for sure. Wouldn't put it past Parker to take one for the team like Hodgo did last year and retire a year premature to help keep our best young players at the club.

Great attitude, future rep player for sure. Wouldn't put it past Parker to take one for the team like Hodgo did last year and retire a year premature to help keep our best young players at the club.

I don't know if I see Parker doing that. I see him stick around at least another year and I reckon he'd more likely to tell arrow to toughen up and take force him into retirement rather than just stepping aside for him.

Parker can absolutely stay for as long as he likes. He is the best player we have had since Locky retired. He was the only shining light from 2012 to 2014, he's our captain, 300+ games etc. There's a million reasons why Arrow can wait.

If arrow can goal kick then Corey needs to step aside.

Bring him into the team in Thaiday's spot. That's how Parker started.

Been terrific this week in camp. He will be player of the match tomorrow.

Last edited:
Any chance he follows the Jake Trbojevic route? bench-prop-lock.

I can't see Parker playing beyond next year, at some point his form will fall off a cliff.

I haven't seen him at all, but he sounds like pure workhorse, no impact. So either plays 80 or not at all. Remember when the Bulldogs used to play Stagg off the bench?

Is anyone watching Offa play for Tonga at 13? What a player

I haven't seen him at all, but he sounds like pure workhorse, no impact. So either plays 80 or not at all. Remember when the Bulldogs used to play Stagg off the bench?

Yeah but he's not going to come into first grade and play 80 minutes. He could use a season coming off the bench getting used to the NRL.

He's got a fantastic motor, hit-ups gallore and tackles his butt off, less of a Ash Harrison type, more of a Parker/Gallen type.
Can't really recall how good he is in the offloads department though... would be awesome if he had that string to his bow as well!

He is ready in my opinion, put him in during origin and when he smashes it, leave him in off the bench.

Jai actually reminds me a lot of a younger Corey Parker. Granted, Parker debuted at a younger age, but he wasn't the most exciting player on the roster. The only difference between Jai and Corey is that Corey was a more versatile player. However, he didn't take the best care of himself, Cozza, leading Wayne to play him as a middle forward. It took Corey until 2003 to showcase he was more than just a meat-head, featuring in that memorable golden point try to beat Melbourne. With Jai, there's no mystery, he's a middle forward through and through. A player of his skill-set is better off plying his trade in reserve grade until a significant opportunity presents itself or until he physically matures. He's doing all the right things, if he keeps progressing like this, it's only a matter of time before he's given a fair shot.

As an aside, Stagg wasn't bad as a bench utility. By the time he got to Canterbury, he had worn out his welcome, but he was handy for Brisbane in that role during 06-08.

Arrow had one of the best offloads in the NYC.

He's in good company, Pangai Jr is the best in the biz.

Before he left, Timu was right up there.

Any chance he follows the Jake Trbojevic route? bench-prop-lock.

I can't see Parker playing beyond next year, at some point his form will fall off a cliff.

He has played 80 minutes every week this year, no point to him being on the bench.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • mitch222
  • eggstar10
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Johnny92
  • broncomax
  • Bish
  • lynx000
  • barker
  • Waynesaurus
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.