How many players have retired at the broncos having never won a GF?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This is a bit of a weird question and I suspect it will be a dumb question once I have hundreds of examples thrown at me.

But have many established players played their final season as a professional athlete at the broncos with out ever winning a premiership (either with us or with a previous club)? Lets add the criteria that they must have played at least 100 games. I imagine a million player played one or two games before never getting another shot.

For example JYY (sad face) never won a GF during his career and retired from sport as a bronco. So he would count as an example. As would Jack Reed.

Scott Prince retired a bronco while never winning a premiership with the club, but won the big dance at the tigers. So he would does not count.

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs would not count because although he never won a GF, he retired at the storm.

This offseason shitpost was inspired by Alex Glenn's comments about wanting to win a title before he retires, and it dawning on me that our 2010 crop of hyped talent are all coming toward the end of their career never achieving a championship.

Last edited:
Does going overseas to play in the english competition after playing for the Broncos and then retiring disqualify them?

Jack Reed tops the count for most games for the club at 128 to not have won a premiership after retiring with the club.

Does going overseas to play in the english competition after playing for the Broncos and then retiring disqualify them?
Yeah. Essentially what I'm imagining is a time when our club 'legends' start to retire and weren't around for the last premiership. Hodges, and Parker (and possibly Thaiday) could at least say they won premierships in their youth. But time is running out for guys like Gillo, and Glenn, and it will be a new phenomenon of Broncos being a club that sees guys go their whole career without a ring.

Not to be doom and gloom though, I believe we are very capable of winning one in the next few years. It just got me curious.

Do we count in total all games played in the same competition or just at the Broncos cause I got to say there aren't a lot of Broncos racking up 100+ with the club that retired at the club without a premiership.

Looking at it now the only other retired Bronco to have racked up 100+ games with the club and not a won a premireship is Brad Meyers and he didn't retire at the Broncos.

Do we count in total all games played in the same competition or just at the Broncos cause I got to say there aren't a lot of Broncos racking up 100+ with the club that retired at the club without a premiership.

Looking at it now the only other retired Bronco to have racked up 100+ games with the club and not a won a premireship is Brad Meyers and he didn't retire at the Broncos.

100 games total in the NRL, at any club. But they must have retired while at the Broncos.

100 may be too high though. I just wanted to exclude the guys who I wouldn't count as "established" who come and go.

Ok starting a list, this is turning out to be a lot harder then you would think lol. Trust me I have done well to get this many so far.

Jack Reed - 128 Bronco games
Stuart Kelly - 182 games (83 Bronco games)
PJ Marsh - 158 games (15 Bronco games)
Shane Tronc - 147 games (22 Bronco games)
Sam Backo 132 games (20 Bronco games)
Paul Green 162 (5 Bronco games)

Last edited:
Ok starting a list, this is turning out to be a lot harder then you would think lol.

Jack Reed - 128 Bronco games
Stuart Kelly - 182 games (83 Bronco games)
PJ Marsh - 158 games (15 Bronco games)
Mate, you're giving 110%. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'm finding your findings very interesting. I never realised Marsh played so few games for us.

I added Richard Swain but realised he won premiership with the storm in 1999.

if Glenn sticks around and doesn't win a prem before retirement, this makes it seem even the more embarrassing.

Not that the stat means much but it's a sad reminder that it's been almost an entire career since our last title.

I can’t believe someone as bog average as reed played that many games

That's an impossible to read list of players who never won premierships with us or elsewhere (I didn't check before 1988 though).

Unread

Active Now

• lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • pennywisealfie
  • UP DA BRIZZY BRONX
  • Scorchie
  • barker
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
  • broncoscope
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.