How will you remember this series?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Now that Game III is done and dusted, what was your final impression of all three games and the stories surrounding the series?

How do you think this series will be remembered in five years time?

NSW talking themselves up, and failing to deliver... Again.

I just wasn't as interested this year.

Last year, I was, because of getting revenge on NSW. But this year, the series as a whole was a bit meh.

NSW doing what they have been doing for the past 11 years blowing opportunity after opportunity, and QLD doing enough to win the series. I honestly think QLD were toying with them at stages.

It's just been the same old thing this year.

Last edited:
For some reason this series lacked something until game 3. Can't put my finger on what it was. While they are relaxing the rules in origin for offside they should do the same for throwing a punch. Bring some spice back into the game, get some real hatred going again. Ch9 news just told me game 2 in 2019 will be played in Perth.

For some reason this series lacked something until game 3. Can't put my finger on what it was. While they are relaxing the rules in origin for offside they should do the same for throwing a punch. Bring some spice back into the game, get some real hatred going again. Ch9 news just told me game 2 in 2019 will be played in Perth.

Yeah, it's a mistake to take it to Perth.

It won't have the same atmosphere, and it's unlikely it would sell out because the airliners will just do what they did for the Grand Final, drastically increase the prices.

It will lack the rivalry that you see up here and in NSW. It just won't have the same feel.

Kind of like how Origin feels a bit different when it's in Melbourne. It just isn't the same.

This series more than series past has really show cased Cam Smith's extraordinary ability to control the speed of the game!

I will also remember it as Darius Boyd's finest origin.

And how pleasing it is to send out Bird & Gallen as the Blosers they were born to become

As the series I just couldn't get into or care about.

I'm going to need a shower after saying this, but a small part of me hopes NSW gets back to being a great side and we can see some better matches.

Bring some life back into Origin.

Sure most of the games have been close contests, but if you were to look at them, QLD were well in control of the vast majority of them.

Last edited:
I'm going to need a shower after saying this, but a small part of me hopes NSW gets back to being a great side and we can see some better matches.

Sure most of the games have been close contests, but if you were to look at them, QLD were well in control of the vast majority of them.

The best thing that could have happened to NSW was to lose game 3. Instead the cracks have been papered over.

We won fairly comfortably with a weaker squad than last year, and i dont think we played as well as we can either.

Even though QLD have had an amazing run I don't think they have been superiorly dominant. It hasn't been like the Wallabies and All Blacks were the All Blacks win without a challenge every year and will hold it for decades to come.

In the 8 straight run NSW took it to a decider 5 times. 2009 and 2010 were the only series imo were the Blues were swept away on the spot. They weren't even that far away in this year's series, remember QLD only just scraped home in Game 1 and were pushed to the limit at Lang Park. NSW have great young guns coming through. Frizell and Bird will shine in Origin for the next decade.

QLD have just simply had an amazing team built around some of the greatest players off all time. When Smith and Thurston stand down the Maroons will not be as strong as they are. Take those guys away and the Maroons will not have gotten anywhere 8 straight.

They are not the All Blacks so their dominance will not live for enternity.

It hasn't been like the Wallabies and All Blacks were the All Blacks win without a challenge every year and will hold it for decades to come.

Distorted generalisation aside, it isn't an apt comparison. NZRU is a lot healthier than the ARU across the board, whereas NSWRL has more resources than the QRL. The fact Queensland have been so dominant in spite of having less to choose from speaks volumes. Does the Maroons future look as bright compared to the All Blacks? No, but that's a ridiculous standard to hold it to. NSW aren't going to go close to reaching 10 from 11, not under the current administration.

QLD have just simply had an amazing team built around some of the greatest players off all time. When Smith and Thurston stand down the Maroons will not be as strong as they are. Take those guys away and the Maroons will not have gotten anywhere 8 straight.

You make it sound like the QRL had nothing to do with their development and they happened to get lucky.

They put in the hard yards and got the rewards. So much so, the NSWRL had to begin taking notes.

Distorted generalisation aside, it isn't an apt comparison. NZRU is a lot healthier than the ARU across the board, whereas NSWRL has more resources than the QRL. The fact Queensland have been so dominant in spite of having less to choose from speaks volumes. Does the Maroons future look as bright compared to the All Blacks? No, but that's a ridiculous standard to hold it to. NSW aren't going to go close to reaching 10 from 11, not under the current

You make it sound like the QRL had nothing to do with their development and they happened to get lucky.

They put in the hard yards and got the rewards. So much so, the NSWRL had to begin taking notes.

Fair enough, I know that rugby here is daylight behind New Zealand. I was referring to the competitiveness of the Bledisloe cup where Australia have never gotten close to winning it back since they lost it.

They did the hard work and are reaping the awards. The great St George, Roosters, Australian cricket team which is the greatest sports team I've ever seen weren't made by accident. They were made by a good feeder system. They weren't great forever though

Last edited:
Fair enough, I know that rugby here is daylight behind New Zealand. I was referring to the competitiveness of the Bledisloe cup where Australia have never gotten close to winning it back since they lost it.

But that's a generalisation since a lot of series have been decided by narrow margins, or a series has been decided 1-1.

Ultimately it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Until NSW produce some players that are every bit as good as Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Inglis etc. then I see any reason to be optimistic.

But that's a generalisation since a lot of series have been decided by narrow margins, or a series has been decided 1-1.

Ultimately it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Until NSW produce some players that are every bit as good as Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Inglis etc. then I see any reason to be optimistic.

That's the irony. Had Qld had more options, and chopped and changed with every momentary fluctuation, would those players be as good as they are now? Chicken and egg. Are Qld benefitting from having a generation of superstars, or has the Qld culture and confidence given by playing for the Maroons been the making of Thurston, Smith etc? You could argue that Slater and Cronk were near their peak before they got to play for Qld, but even Lockyer was struggling at 5/8 in danger of losing his rep spot until that '06 decider victory that literally changed the course of history.

Are their players from NSW that, had NSW won '06, could have gone on to become dominant?

That's the irony. Had Qld had more options, and chopped and changed with every momentary fluctuation, would those players be as good as they are now? Chicken and egg. Are Qld benefitting from having a generation of superstars, or has the Qld culture and confidence given by playing for the Maroons been the making of Thurston, Smith etc? You could argue that Slater and Cronk were near their peak before they got to play for Qld, but even Lockyer was struggling at 5/8 in danger of losing his rep spot until that '06 decider victory that literally changed the course of history.

Are their players from NSW that, had NSW won '06, could have gone on to become dominant?

So much this. Of course there's been a healthy dose of luck as well with a lack of injuries etc - Thurston has played how many straight?? And that these guys have played together at rep levels for so many years, they're practically a club combination now. But that wayward pass in 2006 was the maker of the dynasty, I have no doubt. Qld's culture and the professionalism of the players themselves certainly helped, and I am firmly of the opinion that Qld's origin run has both been a cause and a benefactor of the ultimate skill of those key players.

I'll remember this series as the first one I have ever fallen asleep in. No spark, no excitement and barely much media build up.

When I initially made this thread, I thought it was one of the more forgettable series.

While the games were close, it didn't seem like either side brought their A game and ultimately it was just another comfortable Origin victory.

I decided to let it stew for awhile.

Where did it all begin?

You'd have to go all the way back to December when Mal was appointed the Kangaroos coach. It was a well deserved honour, but it put the Queensland side in a bind. Who could possibly replace the most successful Origin coach of all-time?

The premiership winning coach? Nope, Green like what he had at the Cowboys and wasn't willing to give that up.

Kevie was like that kid in class who keeps his hand up, begging for the teacher to pick him. After the QRL had surveyed the scene, they eventually went with the former Broncos great.

Kevie had been apart of the cause before, he was next in-line, but without any NRL experience to point to and a less than stellar stint over in Les Catalans there were plenty of question marks.

Plenty more arose after the Emerging Origin camp. In what may have been the worst start to an Origin coach's career, eight emerging Origin players were suspended from this year's series.

A weaker coach would have relented and fined the boys, but Kevie made a firm decision that would define his tenure as Origin coach.

If nothing else, I'll remember the series for Kevie weathering the storm and ensuring this current crop of champions didn't miss a beat.

The New Faces
Corey Oates, Justin O'Neil, Gavin Cooper, Matt Moylan, Josh Mansour, Adam Reynolds, Wade Graham, Tyson Frizell, Dylan Walker, Jack Bird, James Tedesco...in a lot of ways this series reminded me of 89 with a bunch of new faces making a name for themselves in the Origin arena.

On top of that Darius Boyd, Dane Gagai, Josh Papalii, Josh McGuire, Matt Gillett, James Maloney, Blake Ferguson, Andrew Fifita all had big moments that may go down in Origin folklore.

All in all, it was a transitional year. Kevie kept the Maroons on track while the Blues took some positives steps forward.

As a distraction from the club comp.
i am really getting amongst it this year, and have finally seen how the weekly competition suffers from these 3 games.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lozza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.