How would you manage our bench?

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Apr 23, 2013
It’s been pointed out quite a bit on BHQ that Griffin’s use of the bench is sometimes questionable so I’ve decided to start a thread dedicated to everyone’s opinions on how they would make better use of our bench players.

I’m certainly no expert on the matter and I doubt I have the answers but after watching the previous match vs the Cowboys it appears as though Griffin’s bench rotation is pre-planned. IMO he should never have swapped Macca for Wallace while Macca was just starting to impress, I also think he favoured Thaiday by not subbing him off sooner which resulted in the Bowen try and the knock on (oops sorry, I meant cramp) in the final minutes.

Shoulders back and down, chest high, lats wrapped around the bench and feet firmly planted.
Oh the Broncos bench... Depends on who is injured/available. In a perfect world where everyone is healthy bench would probably
Tsai, and Dodds for the grunt work. Granville as a utility and perhaps Lui. With Granville in the utility you have someone who can play pretty much 1,6,7,9.

I would sure as hell not let Thaiday go for 80 until he is respectably fit and as a trainer for the last 20+ years I can tell you he is NOT fit enough. Hell if you watched Wynnum Manly over the weekend, you saw that neither was Corey Norman. Extra folds of fat under the jumper which leads me to believe that fitness needs to be better addressed as I think that is plaguing the side and why they never play for 80.

Shoulders back and down, chest high, lats wrapped around the bench and feet firmly planted.
Oh the Broncos bench... Depends on who is injured/available. In a perfect world where everyone is healthy bench would probably
Tsai, and Dodds for the grunt work. Granville as a utility and perhaps Lui. With Granville in the utility you have someone who can play pretty much 1,6,7,9.

I would sure as hell not let Thaiday go for 80 until he is respectably fit and as a trainer for the last 20+ years I can tell you he is NOT fit enough. Hell if you watched Wynnum Manly over the weekend, you saw that neither was Corey Norman. Extra folds of fat under the jumper which leads me to believe that fitness needs to be better addressed as I think that is plaguing the side and why they never play for 80.

I agree, now that Hunt is in the halves I think Granville is a better choice for utility as he can play anywhere in the spine. He also shits all over Wallace so there's that too.

So we would be able to field a team for 1/3rd of the season, what about the rest?

Well, You'd just keep replacing the injured Hodgeses with more clones but the catch is, each clone is slightly weaker than the last. By round 20 they will start blowing out hamstrings just by stepping on a crooked blade of grass.

Well, You'd just keep replacing the injured Hodgeses with more clones but the catch is, each clone is slightly weaker than the last. By round 20 they will start blowing out hamstrings just by stepping on a crooked blade of grass.

I wonder what 34 hamstrings snapping in unity sounds like?

If the bench was Granvillle, Stagg, Dodds, Tasi

1st Half

~Dodds on for Hannant at the 20 minute mark
~Stagg on for Thaiday at the 20 minute mark
~Tasi on for McGuire at the 30 minute mark
~Granville on for McCullough at the 30 minute mark

2nd Half

~Hannant on for Dodds at the 50 minute mark
~Thaiday on for Stagg at the 50 minute mark
~McGuire on for Tasi at the 50 minute mark
~McCullough on for Granville at the 55 minute mark
~Tasi on for Hannant at the 65 minute mark
~Dodds on for Thaiday at he 65 minute mark
~Hannant on for Tasi at the 75 minute mark
~Thaiday on for Dodds at the 75 minute mark

12/12 Interchange, finishing the game with Hannant, Thaiday, McGuire, McCullough.

Minutes:

Hannant: 40 minutes
McGuire: 60 minutes
Thaiday: 40 minutes
McCullough: 55 minutes

Dodds: 40 minutes
Tasi: 30 minutes
Stagg: 30 minutes
Granville: 25 minutes

Something along those lines.

I think you'd want 1-2 interchanges spare incase of emergency..

Dodds on for Hannant @ 20mins
Stagg on for Thaiday @ 25min
Tasi on for McGuire @30min
Granville/Baptiste on for Macca @ 30min

Hannant on for Dodds @ 50min
McGuire on for Tasi @ 50min
Macca on for Granville/Baptiste @ 55min
Thaiday on for Stagg @ 60min
Dodds on for Hannant @ 70min
Tasi on for McGuire @ 75min

10/12 leaving 2 for situational changes.

Hannant - 40
McGuire - 55
Dodds - 40
Tasi - 25
Thaiday - 45
Stagg - 35
Macca - 55
Baptiste/Granville -25

I like Tasi/Dodds/Thaiday as hard running forwards, best used for start/end of halves, McGuire/Hannant/Stagg for the hard yards in the middle.

Last edited:

Sounds good in theory but then the salary cap would blow out something cronic.

Ordinarily you play it by ear but as a general guide this is what I'd like to see...

Dodds 40 minutes
McCullough 60 minutes
McGuire 70 minutes
Gillett 70 minutes
Thaiday 60 minutes
Parker 80 minutes

Wallace 20 minutes
Stagg 40 minutes
Tasi - 40 minutes (absolutely maximum)
Lui - Would only bring him on if I had to. Would rather Molo in this role.

Give or take ten minutes. However, our depth is being tested to the point where we can't afford to be without our senior forwards for long spurts.

Last edited:
6 positions with 10 players to go into. 480mins total

(480)
Parker - 80 mins
(400)
McCullough - 80 mins
(320)
McGuire - 65 mins
(255)
Dodds - 45 mins
(210)
Gillett - 70 mins
(140)
Thaiday - 50 mins
(90)

Tasi - 30 mins
(60)

The other 3 - 20 each
(0)

I still maintain Macca plays 80. the 15 minutes before and after halftime is generally when we concede points which is when he's pulled for Hunt/Wallace/Granville. Maybe the solution is just not have a halfback playing bench hooker

In general:

For mine, the overall bench strategy should be based on momentum. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Like, you don't pull key players when the team is firing.

Specific strategy is based around the known fitness levels of the players - when it slackens off, you rotate.

It should never be based simply on some pre-planned formula. Each game is unique

Last edited:
10/12 leaving 2 for situational changes.

i believe there are only 10 interchange spots total now mate

I still maintain Macca plays 80. the 15 minutes before and after halftime is generally when we concede points which is when he's pulled for Hunt/Wallace/Granville. Maybe the solution is just not have a halfback playing bench hooker

It will be interesting this game to see when Macca is hooked and what happens while he is off field

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • Fozz
  • Manifesto
  • john1420
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • mrslong
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mrtij
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Stix
  • Redux
  • Alec
  • Maroon4life
  • thenry
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.