NEWS Hull KR begin search for new hooker with concerns over Matt Parcell's future

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I've remained constant, I'd be going Berrell without thinking twice but we had the chance to get him this year and didn't do it, so I doubt he is on the radar unfortunately. So in that case, Purcell is a decent option, he's worth a punt.

Berrell is going to be one of those players that is a good park footy player, but just isn't going to be successful in first grade.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
Berrell is going to be one of those players that is a good park footy player, but just isn't going to be successful in first grade.
What is he lacking in his game that makes it hard for him to crack first grade? Why hasn't it happened for him so far?

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
If we were going for a SL Hooker I would want Kruise Leeming, the clear best hooker in the competition and a certainty for England's 9 in the WC.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Our saviour is… ex barely nrl player who played for Hull.
Meanwhile we passed over Granville.

fml

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I've remained constant, I'd be going Berrell without thinking twice but we had the chance to get him this year and didn't do it, so I doubt he is on the radar unfortunately. So in that case, Purcell is a decent option, he's worth a punt.
I think we had 3 hookers on the books already (Turps, Paix and Billy) and didn't want to use up another spot for another untried option (untried at NRL).

If Turps goes next year they will need to be in the market as Mozer isn't ready and Paix + Walters cant survive 80 viably

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Verrills would be a good pickup, and he could be obtainable if he wants a starting hooker position. With Smith going to the Roosters, Verrills most likely will be stuck playing second fiddle. I'd imagine there are a few other clubs looking for a hooker, so we'd have to be quick if we want him.
I dont really like Verrils as an option... not that he's not good, but he's somewhat unproven in NRL, has spent a lot of time on the sidelines and roosters just recruited another hooker to replace him (two if you include Watson).

He's a young guy as well so if you invest in him, he's not really a stop gap he's more like someone you're planning to invest time in... we've already got Paix and Mozer as ones we decided to invest in.

We need a proven NRL performer that we can pick every week and have the other two fill in around him, until they can replace him.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
If we were going for a SL Hooker I would want Kruise Leeming, the clear best hooker in the competition and a certainty for England's 9 in the WC.

He's been ok for Leeds in a poor side, but his defence isnt great, he misses a lot of tackles, and he hasnt been running much ( although way more than ours ! ).

James Roby is still easily the best English hooker, and the best hooker overall in Superleague Followed by Darryl Clark. Then you have a group of 3 or 4 like Leeming, Dwyer, Mcshane and Powell who are a clear tier below those 2.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
LOL
"Former Rabbitohs and Broncos coach Anthony Seibold could be making a return to rugby league - with English club Hull KR. Currently a member of Eddie Jones' England rugby union coaching team, Seibold is on a list of possible coaches for the Super League club. Fellow Aussie Tony Smith is coming off contract at the end of the season and Hull KR officials are considering a change of direction, with Seibold high on their wish list."​
"Seibold has had a roller coaster ride in his brief time in the NRL. He was named Dally M coach of the year in his debut season in 2018 but then switched to Brisbane, where things went pear-shaped and his contract was terminated mid-way through his second season. Seibold has done good work with Jones and the England rugby team but may be tempted to make a return to league."​

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • phoenix
  • bazza
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Fatboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.