I fucking hate the 7 tackle rule

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
People will assume I am blowing up about this now because Milf kicked the ball dead which turned the game against us, but that's exactly the fucking problem with it. Not only does it have a dramatic impact on the game, it also punishes what otherwise could have been perfectly good kicks give or take a metre worth of bounce. That is a harsh price to pay for what ultimately adds up to rotten luck that the ball decides to barely trickle over the line.

It's a shit rule change that once again demonstrates the NRL trying to paint over the real problems in the game. I'm looking at you, Melbourne.

It's punishing tactical kicking and we're also seeing less tries from kicks as a result of teams opting to not go for the cross field kick/chip kick/bomb as much anymore.

The 7 tackle restart was one of the worst rules brought in, especially bringing it in for golden point as well.

Wasn’t it brought in because everyone was disgusted it could take Slater etc kick returns out of the game?

Wasn’t it brought in because everyone was disgusted it could take Slater etc kick returns out of the game?

Yeah pretty much. Teams would purposely kick it dead to limit the impact a fullback could have.

The NRL also said they wanted to "open up the game" more and keep the ball in play, while ignoring the bigger issue which is the wrestle and the crap teams get away with in the ruck.

They should have made the rule just for catching it in goal on the full,not rolling dead from an attacking grubber. however kicking it dead if you’re inside your own half should also be 7 tackles. Or am I just making that way to complicated?

They should have made the rule just for catching it in goal on the full,not rolling dead from an attacking grubber. however kicking it dead if you’re inside your own half should also be 7 tackles. Or am I just making that way to complicated?

Making it too complicated.

Just scrap the 7 tackle rule completely. I've never liked the idea of 7 tackle sets in anything, why should teams get an extra tackle? Their reward is getting the ball back.

Making it too complicated.

Just scrap the 7 tackle rule completely. I've never liked the idea of 7 tackle sets in anything, why should teams get an extra tackle? Their reward is getting the ball back.
Yeah, you’re right but they won’t unfortunately!

What happens when the ball is kicked dead, and then on the tap restart, the defending team concedes a penalty on the first tackle? Does the attacking team still get 7 tackles after the penalty or is this a loop hole to be manipulated?

What happens when the ball is kicked dead, and then on the tap restart, the defending team concedes a penalty on the first tackle? Does the attacking team still get 7 tackles after the penalty or is this a loop hole to be manipulated?

Well you don’t get 7 tackles after the penalty, but you get 1 tackle + metres from the kick for touch + 6 tackles, so it’s not a great loophole!

I've always reckoned it should only be a 7 tackle set if you kick it dead from outside the attacking 40m line. Anything inside that is generally an attacking kick and shouldn't be penalised if it doesn't come off.

Well you don’t get 7 tackles after the penalty, but you get 1 tackle + metres from the kick for touch + 6 tackles, so it’s not a great loophole!

Dang. Was hoping it’d be 5 tackles after a penalty.

Maybe if we had a half/s or 9 that could kick we would be ok, like most other teams.

We cant blame the rule, we’re just shit.

They need to tweak the rule. It was bought in because teams would rather boot the ball dead then have dangerous fullbacks run back at a scattered line of defence. I think an attacking kick in the 20 shouldn't be punished with a 7 tackle set

Make it a 7 tackle set from a drop out then. Why does one team get punished and not the other...

Opposition teams shouldn't get something for nothing. The rule should only be in place if the ball is caught on the full in goal, but it's a bullshit rule at the best of times.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Spooky1013
  • Old Mate
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.