If the Broncos did a Storm, what would you do....

When I got sent the link about the breach, I was terrified that it was something about the Broncos, I don't know how I would react, heart broken and feeling personally cheated, but I'm a Broncos man through and through, them or nothing - if they were intentionally cheating to the level of the storm, there's a chance I'd prolly walk from the game.

I'll be gutted because the premierships would be tainted (just like Melb)

Still support the club of course but I would feel gutted for someone like Lockyer.

There are people out there waiting for the day to happen but... there is no doubt the top teams go over the cap but whether they have deliberate systems like the Storm... I highly doubt it. A few dodgy ones here and there but not a system IMO.

Apparently through the grape vine if melb wasnt caught out this year it would have been the Broncs. NRL is starting to decline and they needed a booster scandel so the storms were the obvious candidate.

showcaseofstars2010 said:
Apparently through the grape vine if melb wasnt caught out this year it would have been the Broncs. NRL is starting to decline and they needed a booster scandel so the storms were the obvious candidate.

Anyone that thinks the Broncos are cheating the cap this year need to see a doctor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos have gone over the cap this year. We've had to pay a lot more than our regular squad.

But anyway. Broncos are always cheating the cap. Just ask anyone south of the border.

Nashy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos have gone over the cap this year. We've had to pay a lot more than our regular squad.

But anyway. Broncos are always cheating the cap. Just ask anyone south of the border.

Or north. Or east. Or west.

Everyone thinks the Broncos cheat the cap because we always have so many rep players. They forget that many of our rep players get picked for QLD as rookies from the Broncos, while still on rookie contracts!

to be fair, we have cheated the cap in many years and been caught, so their claims arent exactly baseless.

We don't cheat. It's just simple errors which we own up to before the NRL even look for them, and minor errors.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Broncos were rorting the cap somehow. Hell, I would suspect all clubs do it.

most clubs tend to go over the cap at some stage, the main offenders tend to be teams that have many injuries during the year (thus having to promote players from outside the top 25 and going over the second tier cap) or teams that have more players than expected play rep footy thus having to pay out bonuses.

Yes we're paying bruno overs under the table

Well I reckon when we had those top shelf players all at once - maybe a little... but we lost everyone ANYWAY... which definitely meant we didn't have a "system" like Melbourne.

We only won 1 premiership to show for it as well - unless you count 98 but everyone's wallet was still fat from SL. Made it to the prelim in 01 and 02 though.

Jeba said:
We don't cheat. It's just simple errors which we own up to before the NRL even look for them, and minor errors.
i wouldnt call the following 'simple errors'. note they only 'owned up' to one of those 3.

"$118,314 over the cap. Included an undisclosed payment of $50,000."
"$115,067 over the cap. Fully disclosed."
"Undisclosed guarantee to player via 3rd Party Entity"

like i said, we've been over in the past and we'll do it again. nearly every team goes over every few years at LEAST, and even more would go over but not get caught.

*sigh* Once again a fundamental lack of understanding of cheating.

Cheating is absolutely no point if you own up to it, which the Broncos (and most other clubs) have done for their breaches over the years.

Are there (or were there) more systemic, sinister breaches that haven't been disclosed and found? Possibly, how could any of us know? But the ones that have been publicised are no big deal. If they were the NRL would've taken action against us other than fines.

the broncos didnt own up to all of those breaches though, thats what im saying. the NRL auditors found them, apart from the ones that say fully disclosed.

how is giving a player a third party sponsorship deal and not telling the NRL about it NOT cheating? for all we know that guarantee couldve been 'if you stay at the broncos we'll give you a house and car and boat and buy you all the chicken nuggets you want'. they didnt disclose it, the NRL found out about it by themselves. its cheating. no, its not the same as a few years of systematic cheating, but it IS cheating. using the old 'but sir, he cheated more than me' line didnt work in high school, and it sure doesnt work in real life.

Were you involved in the investigation? Do you know it was a case of Ian Schubert looking through the books and going "Ah HAH! Found this payment! What do you have to say for yourself?" with Bruno kicking at the floor going "oh bugger, you sprung me."

Or was it more like "Can you explain why this third party agreement isn't listed in the player's contract?" "Oh, shit, Ernie in the footy department stuffed up there!"

Obviously the payment was transparent enough to be easily found by the mediocre NRL auditing process, whereas the Storm, Bulldogs and Warriors were using methods that were completely undetectable by those audit processes.

It's just like a high tackle. 99% of them are accidental and so the player might cop a week or two suspension. Then occasionally there's the one where the player wanted to kill the other guy...they cop 16 weeks+.

Same thing. There are degrees of breaking the rules, and the penalties are designed to cater for the degree of breach.

You aren't seriously suggesting the Storm should've just copped a fine for their cheating are ya?

what do you have to say about the 2x$120k over the salary caps years? honest mistakes too? lol. id like to think in the entire financial department of the broncos there is at least 1 person who can use a calculator properly.....

i dont think the storm shouldve just copped a fine, no. i still dont and never will agree to losing their premierships though.

When the Broncos reveal that they have another book that's the day they get compared to the Storm.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.