If you were coach what would be your 2023 spine?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
If all players were fit what spine would you personally select for the 2023 season? I’ll also allow development or train and trial players.

Eg:

Here is a reminder curiously of McHunt:

Hooker
Paix, Smoothy, Walters, Hetherington, Mozer

Half
Reynolds, Mam, Walters, Paix, Madden, Rogers, Sailor, Staggs

Fullback
Farnworth, Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor

For me personally there isn’t much splitting the hooker as none at the moment are the complete package. I would like Mozer to play at least 10-20 games of Q Cup so I won’t include him at the start of the season. I think Smoothy is the biggest point of difference of the remaining three as he is an out and out hooker with great service and compliments the style of the remaining options best. So 9 Smoothy and 14 either Billy or Paix. I personally feel Paix offers more than Bill and both can cover the halves.

Reynolds and Walsh are obvious locks at 1 and 7 for me, and I’d be surprised if anyone says differently. Though some may want Walsh at 6 to make way for another option at 1. I could be convinced with the right argument.

As for 6, I am a massive fan of Mam and think he has a very high ceiling. He sees things in the game that not many others do. As an example, he is amazing at earning penalties and 6 agains - really the best I’ve seen doing this at the moment. His decision making is poor at times though, in both attack and defence and he may be better of in cup a bit longer, with the added bonus of forming a partnership with Mozer. Arguments could be made for Madden or even Rogers to be the 6 if you wanted a more conservative option. Both would just get the job done without too much flair and with Reynolds and Walsh, and all the X factor out wide, it may be the right move. This is actually a harder decision than I expected. Because I think Mam’s development may be best served by returning to cup. Especially if Rogers gets first shot and Mam will be playing in the spine with Mozer and Madden each week.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Smoothy
14. Paix

Mozer to push his way in after round 11 and forcing out the lesser performer of Paix and Smoothy. Mam to be backed openly but coaching staff having one eye on q cup if his form isn’t there.

3 of the spine positions pick themselves.

In regards of the hooker, none can play 80 so wee need to go with a tag team. in which case i think a Billy/Paix are our best combination.

I think Paix is just in front of Bill as the better hooker, however I think he can be best utilised on the bench coming on against a tiring defence.

Mozer is 10000% our future, but we should take a leaf out of our book from most of our history, and the Storm's book for the last decade and not rush (and ruin) his development. we need to let him bake longer in the QLD Cup.

so for that reason my 2023 spine would be:

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. ARey
9. Walters
14. Paix

For me personally there isn’t much splitting the hooker as none at the moment are the complete package. I would like Mozer to play at least 10-20 games of Q Cup so I won’t include him at the start of the season. I think Smoothy is the biggest point of difference of the remaining three as he is an out and out hooker with great service and compliments the style of the remaining options best. So 9 Smoothy and 14 either Billy or Paix. I personally feel Paix offers more than Bill and both can cover the halves.

Reynolds and Walsh are obvious locks at 1 and 7 for me, and I’d be surprised if anyone says differently. Though some may want Walsh at 6 to make way for another option at 1. I could be convinced with the right argument.

As for 6, I am a massive fan of Mam and think he has a very high ceiling. He sees things in the game that not many others do. As an example, he is amazing at earning penalties and 6 agains - really the best I’ve seen doing this at the moment. His decision making is poor at times though, in both attack and defence and he may be better of in cup a bit longer, with the added bonus of forming a partnership with Mozer. Arguments could be made for Madden or even Rogers to be the 6 if you wanted a more conservative option. Both would just get the job done without too much flair and with Reynolds and Walsh, and all the X factor out wide, it may be the right move. This is actually a harder decision than I expected. Because I think Mam’s development may be best served by returning to cup. Especially if Rogers gets first shot and Mam will be playing in the spine with Mozer and Madden each week.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Smoothy
14. Paix

Mozer to push his way in after round 11 and forcing out the lesser performer of Paix and Smoothy. Mam to be backed openly but coaching staff having one eye on q cup if his form isn’t there.
Mines about the same but im not going to lose any sleep over a walters/paix 9/14 rotation i think the eggs are in the mozer basket atm and we are in a holding pattetn till we know if he can step up just my .0000000002 bitcoin

In regards of the hooker, none can play 80 so wee need to go with a tag team. in which case i think a Billy/Paix are our best combination.

I think Paix is just in front of Bill as the better hooker, however I think he can be best utilised on the bench coming on against a tiring defence.

Mozer is 10000% our future, but we should take a leaf out of our book from most of our history, and the Storm's book for the last decade and not rush (and ruin) his development. we need to let him bake longer in the QLD Cup.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. ARey
9. Walters
14. Paix
agree with this.

I suspect the 9/14 combo that start the season won't be the 9/14 combo who finish it. We know we have an absolute gun in the making coming through and he is going to be ready for NRL at some point this season, even if only at 14 but the key will be to get the timing right and once Mozer comes in, also getting his minute progression right too. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point this year, dependent on injuries of course, we see 9. Paix, 14. Mozer and I suspect a combination of those two is the way forward.

In the mean time, Billy is fine and eventually, will likely be a solid back up IF Mozer and Paix continue to develop.

The future is obviously not Walters/Paix but I think that's the best option currently, with close to an even split minutes-wise.

Mozer is clearly the intended future, and I hope he starts to get some minutes off the bench towards the end of the year.

Walsh, Mam and Reynolds pick themselves, really.

I agree that Mam would have benefitted from more time in QCup before starting first grade, but unfortunately that ship has sailed. He's now, for better or worse, sinking or swimming at NRL level and there's no value in taking a backwards step and demoting him. That's the problem with blooding these young rookies so early - it's a bell that can't be un-rung... Not only would it potentially deflate and shatter his confidence and harm his game, but he's now got the expectation that he's a first grade player and if he doesn't get playing time he will just go somewhere else.

Having said all that, Mam is very impressive for such a young guy. His defence is exceptional given his age and size and while his decision making can be erratic, that's to be expected of such a young half... It will come with time, age and experience. Even Cleary was no different when he first started. While Mam can make poor decisions sometimes, the one thing that's really impressive for such a young player is that he doesn't often try too hard or overplay his hand - he seems calm and composed and that's a fantastic quality for a half that you can't teach. I think he's going to come on alot this year.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. ARey
9. Walters
14. Paix
I find it hard to argue with any of the above too strongly. I do personally feel that Walters and Paix are fairly similar styles of players and that’s why I would prefer Smoothy for some variation, without strong feelings about who should get the 14 out of Walters or Paix.

That being said, Smoothy comes with his own short comings or risks so I won’t lose sleep if we continue with Paix and Walters. I think Kev got the rotation best when Billy played the opening 20-25 minutes before bringing Paix on who would play until signs of fatigue creep in and then bring Billy back on to close out the game.

1. Walsh
6. Madden
7. Reynolds
9. Paix
14. Smoothy

At fullback, i can't see anyone but Walsh there. He's the x factor we need with his speed and elusiveness and I don't think we have a viable alternative..

I've gone for Madden over Mam in a close one. I think he will be a good foil for Reyno and although Mam probably has a higher ceiling, I think he would benefit with a bit more time in qcup to improve his decision making. His front on defence is good but sometimes his choices leave a bit to be desired. I haven't seen a lot of Madden but his defence seems sound and his game reading ability seems ok. At the end of the day Reyno will be running the show so we just need someone solid to take some pressure off him as needed..

Half back, well Reyno is the man and if he gets injured I can see Madden taking over with Mam slotting in at five eighth.

Hooker..I've gone for Paix here as long as he stays injury free . He seems to have a bit more to his game at the moment and seems to get the forwards rolling forward a bit better. His defence still has me a bit worried with starting the game but hopefully it'll be adequate. Have no real problems with Billy except that he seems to have the knack of making our attack look disjointed. As someone said earlier he seems to be in 2 minds in what to do. By the time he makes up his mind , the attack seems to be stifled. His defence is adequate..

The 14 I'd like to go with Smoothy. Haven't seen that much of him but enough to think that he offers plenty in attack. His defence seems adequate but his fitness needs to improve. Mozer will be thereabouts aftet he serves time in qcup as he looks A very good prospect. Don't want to see him rushed though..

That being said, Smoothy comes with his own short comings or risks so I won’t lose sleep if we continue with Paix and Walters. I think Kev got the rotation best when Billy played the opening 20-25 minutes before bringing Paix on who would play until signs of fatigue creep in and then bring Billy back on to close out the game.

This is the rotation I'd go for. I think Paix is the better player, but I don't necessarily think he has the ability to start just yet and would rather Walters cop the opening assaults and then have Paix come on looking to be creative. That often worked well in the first half of last year, and if they can recapture that form we'll be fine at hooker for the time being, I think.

That's assuming Reynolds stays healthy and in form - if he goes down for a long period or has a significant drop in form, we're going to be far more impacted than other teams might be in the same situation due to the inexperience (Mam, Walsh) and the averageness (Walters, Paix) of the rest of the spine. Walsh alone might be able to spark us to some victories, but our overall season prospects could be grim...

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Paix
14. Walters/Mozer

I assume the real question your asking is what to do with the Hookers as the others are set in stone.

Walters 9 and Paix 14 is the best we got for the moment, I would increase Paix minutes to doing around 50 mins though.

If Billy's performances drop put Smoothy in as Starter, and Mozer to be injury Cover if we lose two Hookers and or bring him in after half season if he is lighting up Qcup.

As for backups with our other spine players from what I've seen, Sailor to Cover Walsh and Reyno and Madden to cover Mam.

What is the contract situation with smoothy and sailor?

What is the contract situation with smoothy and sailor?
One of them is going to be top 30, is what I would think if we lose Herbie early then probably both.

I think from our backup stocks we have to put Smoothy ahead of Sailor, any injury to our Hooker rotation and we are putting Mozer out which is completely unfair to the kid at this stage, I get he is only in the top 30 so we can secure him on a proper contract but we need 4 hookers in our top 30 because of it.

If all players were fit what spine would you personally select for the 2023 season? I’ll also allow development or train and trial players.

Eg:

Here is a reminder curiously of McHunt:

Hooker
Paix, Smoothy, Walters, Hetherington, Mozer

Half
Reynolds, Mam, Walters, Paix, Madden, Rogers, Sailor, Staggs

Fullback
Farnworth, Cobbo, Walsh, Arthars, Sailor
Curiously?

Might have jumped the gun on Sailor there. What is his current status?

Also remove Farnworth from fullback. He's a winger.

One of them is going to be top 30, is what I would think if we lose Herbie early then probably both.

I think from our backup stocks we have to put Smoothy ahead of Sailor, any injury to our Hooker rotation and we are putting Mozer out which is completely unfair to the kid at this stage, I get he is only in the top 30 so we can secure him on a proper contract but we need 4 hookers in our top 30 because of it.

If Robati gets sacked as expected, both of them can be signed.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • bazza
  • Stix
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • cento
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • jd87
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.