NEWS Ikin jump puddles

Broncos Head of Football, Ben Ikin fires a shot across the bows. The Broncos are back, baby:

“Next year, the goal is for the Broncos to be playing finals football again. It would be great to play finals footy next year and it would be very disappointing if we missed again. More than anything, what you want to see is that the club is moving closer to the ultimate goal, and that is contending for a premiership."

“The great clubs always put themselves thereabouts and every season, they turn up. That’s what we want to keep moving towards at the Broncos. We took a big step away from that in the last few seasons, but we finished last season stronger than we started it and that is a sign we are improving. If we improve to the level I expect us to, then the Broncos will play finals football next season.”

“There is a genuine optimism about Adam Reynolds, Kurt Capewell and Ryan James coming here. Reynolds is a huge signing. Cameron Smith was the brains behind the Melbourne Storm and the Broncos had Darren Lockyer at five-eighth. Adam is among players of that ilk who can manage a game. He is one of the best brains in the game and he is an extension of the coaching staff out on the field, which is what you want out there. He knows what it takes to win footy games and beyond the things he has to do himself as an individual, he also has the capacity to get what he needs out of his teammates week to week."

“Watching Souths this year, you just knew the Rabbitohs were going to be doing most of what they needed to do because Adam Reynolds would make it happen. The side will be better managed just because of the experience in the halves that Adam Reynolds brings. It’s a better balanced squad and one that should be aiming to make the finals.”

Screencoreyoates   CUZuujWlk8z

A good energy

“Clearly it’s been a rough couple of years, but since ‘Kevvie’ has arrived, prior to me getting here, we all wanted the footy program to be better and we have accepted that responsibility. There is a good energy around the place. The guys are turning up to work excited to be here. In the past, there was an unsettled work environment. That has changed. There is more stability. The staff are energised and it’s finding its way to the playing group."

“Our young guys will be returning to a club that is more stable, has more senior players and a coach who will be better for his first year of NRL coaching. All those little improvements across the footy program will have a compounding effect on how the team plays."

“The Broncos were built on all those premierships in the 1990s and 2000s and there are some lessons from that time that can be dragged into the present. The most important thing I’m seeing here is we all want the same thing. All the players want to be better."

“There is this desire at the Broncos and the core of the club when they were at their best in the 1990s, you can talk how they played and how they did their business and how Wayne coached, but the truth of it is everybody was on the same page. Everyone at the Broncos in those premiership years wanted the same thing. And if there is one thing I am starting to see here that is slowly evolving, it’s that we are all connected and aligned."

“How we get it done in 2022 will be different from how Wayne Bennett’s Broncos got it done in 1992. Kevvie was part of that premiership team. Kevvie is different from Wayne Bennett. He coaches differently, he is a different person, but Kevvie’s authentic personal style is finding its way into this footy team.

“Adam Reynolds is different from Allan Langer and Payne Haas is different from Glenn Lazarus … but this group wants to be top of the pile, which is great to see.”

McHunt

It's still just words... Kevvie was saying the same thing last year (ie. The Broncos goal every year is to make the top 8... he may have even said top 4)... but they are just empty words if not backed up.

I would say having significant portions of your salary cap playing elsewhere for the foreseeable future and having your coach on an open ended contract are actions that arent backing up your words. It suggests short term pain (resolving salary cap issues) and concerns about the caoching (short term contract for your coach).

Saying we want to make the 8, but having a reserve grade squad on the field is pointless.... I'm sure the dogs wanted to make the 8 last year as well.
I'm sure a replacement captain of the Titanic would've said he could save the ship too, within the first 30 minutes of the iceberg.

As Kevvie's has found out, perhaps its better to wait a while before making statements.

We're the Brisbane Broncos. We should always be saying we are going for the premiership. We still are that team. If we fail, we will be ridiculed, but we would be ridiculed anyway. People hate us. It's time we got that swagger back and the first step in that is believing that we are the best.

Doesn’t read as complacency at all to me. Is overhauling your football program and making massive changes to not only your list how you go about structuring your list complacent? It seems to me that both DD and BI know exactly how much work is required. Confidence is not a bad thing.

The team kind of reminds me of the 2014 Penrith Panthers. They’d missed 3 finals in a row and finished 12th, 15th, 10th respectively

They pushed out a lot of big name players that weren’t performing. I’m pretty sure all the below left at the end of 2012 season:
- Michael Jennings
- Luke Lewis
- Michael Gordon

They also offloaded the following before the 2014 season kick off:
- Lachlan Coote
- Luke Walsh
Amongst others.

Their coach Ivan Cleary was in his second year at the club and had pretty average results in his first season.

signed
- 30 year old halfback with the best kicking game in the comp, Jamie Soward.
- 32 year old prop Brent Kite
-an aging Peter Wallace

and immediately put them all in the leadership group.

They had a group of young talented players entering their 2nd-3rd seasons of first grade, including Matt Moylan entering his sophomore year at fullback.

They would go on to finish the season at 4th place, defeating the Minor Prems (roosters) in week 1 of the finals, eventually losing in the prelims to the bulldogs (who would lose the GF the next week to Adam Reynold’s Rabbitohs).

That was my best attempt at a @Big Pete post. Maybe he can flesh it out some more with his monster knowledge.
Well done mate.

The most important development Penrith made was their focus on junior development. It was an area that had waned considerably in 2008 when they started promoting their best juniors before they were ready. On the plus side it did lead to a surprisingly strong 2010 season where they finished second thanks largely to their gameplan of kicking a mid-field bomb for Coote who'd bat it back and they'd score off of that. However they were bundled out in straight sets and had a disastrous start to 2011 which saw them bring in Gus.

Gus identified that the cap was completely imbalanced and made moves to get it back in order. Senior players like Petero Civoniceiva were released from their contract and replaced by more affordable options like Matt Robinson and Clint Newton. These players weren't considered 'like for like' but they would allow Penrith to get their cap in order.

The first year was about making sensible signings. The only blue chip signing I can recall was Josh Mansour who for whatever reason was looked over at South Sydney despite being one of the stand-out backs in U-20s.

The second year they went after more 'blue-chip' players like James Segeyaro, Sika Manu, Dean Whare, Adam Docker and James Roberts. Roberts may have actually come earlier but I wanted to highlight his signing because it represented a change at the club. Instead of signing him to play NRL, they actually had him go back to NYC where he played a big role in their 2013 NYC premiership side. The goal was to breed a culture of success into the club and slowly but surely trickle it through to the NRL side. It's worth noting that not a lot of players survived from 2013 but Isaah Yeo who has matured into one of the best forwards in the game has become a leader at the club.

Things didn't go to plan at Penrith. They were going to build the club from the ground up with a view that they'd snare a big fish for 2014. That was supposed to be Johnathan Thurston and for all intents and purposes they had him. However, JT had a change of heart and so they went with the much maligned Soward who enjoyed a renaissance in his first year but became a liability by his second and third.

However Penrith had a strong development program by that point and they'd keep complimenting their system with blue chip signings like Viliame Kikau, Api Koroisau, Te Maire Martin who were stand-outs but needed some more seasoning before they could become bonafide NRL stars. They won the 2015 NYC premiership, should have won 2016 but fell victim to a big second half comeback by Sydney but a lot of those players got their revenge in the 2017 NSW Cup Grand Final against Newtown (aka the Roosters feeder).

Gus' influence was key but it's also worth stressing that he had to be moved on as well. For while he made the right decision to move on past players who were on inflated deals, he fell victim to the same mistakes and had players like Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Josh Mansour, Dean Whare, Reagan Campbell-Gillard etc. on inflated deals.

Anything outside the 8 in 2022 is a failure. I think genuinely we will sit anywhere from 6-8th. Then in 2023 we should be pushing for a top 4 finish.
There is still too much raw talent to go deep inside the finals for 2022 imo. I still don’t think we are settled as to who our 1, 6 or 9 will be in rd 1.
A big post Christmas off-season should hopefully see some guys nail those spots down.
I know 2022 will be our best in a long time 🤞

As Kevvie's has found out, perhaps its better to wait a while before making statements.

the problem is that he is the coach of the Brisbane Broncos, not the Tigers or some other Sydney club no one gives a shit about.

he can't say "no comment"
he can't avoid doing media interviews
he can't be realistic and say they are "rebuilding" and making the finals would be great but not mandatory.

he says any of those things and he would get crucified by the clubs members, fans, sponsors and the media.

The team kind of reminds me of the 2014 Penrith Panthers. They’d missed 3 finals in a row and finished 12th, 15th, 10th respectively

They pushed out a lot of big name players that weren’t performing. I’m pretty sure all the below left at the end of 2012 season:
- Michael Jennings
- Luke Lewis
- Michael Gordon

They also offloaded the following before the 2014 season kick off:
- Lachlan Coote
- Luke Walsh
Amongst others.

Their coach Ivan Cleary was in his second year at the club and had pretty average results in his first season.

signed
- 30 year old halfback with the best kicking game in the comp, Jamie Soward.
- 32 year old prop Brent Kite
-an aging Peter Wallace

and immediately put them all in the leadership group.

They had a group of young talented players entering their 2nd-3rd seasons of first grade, including Matt Moylan entering his sophomore year at fullback.

They would go on to finish the season at 4th place, defeating the Minor Prems (roosters) in week 1 of the finals, eventually losing in the prelims to the bulldogs (who would lose the GF the next week to Adam Reynold’s Rabbitohs).

That was my best attempt at a @Big Pete post. Maybe he can flesh it out some more with his monster knowledge.
I thought it might an interesting moment to revisit this post.

We’ve even got our own Josh Mansour situation happening with Oates and the father / son combo

Active Now

• Fozz
  • johnny plath
  • marw
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • lynx000
  • Brocko
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kiwi2
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Jazza
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.