NEWS Ikin to Broncos: sign Reynolds

Wayne Bennett's estranged son-in-law Ben Ikin has some free advice for the Brisbane Broncos. It involves trying to pair yet another halfback with Anthony Milford:

“The Broncos should absolutely sign Adam Reynolds. Reynolds is on the market and he might be keen to come to Brisbane and could potentially form a great halves combination with Anthony Milford. Given the state of the Broncos, they should be considering signing any quality player at the moment.”

H001 Adam Reynolds

Calm

“I like his calmness. I like the detail in his game, he is a first-class goalkicker and excellent general-play kicker. Reynolds hasn’t got as many brilliant moments in him as some of the other playmakers in the competition, but the gap between his best and worst performance is pretty small and he knows how to manage a team. He has played in a lot of big games at the Rabbitohs, he has won a comp, he has been in a stack of preliminary finals. I know it has been a criticism the last few years that he hasn’t been able to take them to the next level, but there is a whole lot of tools that Reynolds has got that would be very useful at the Broncos right now.”

Reynolds’ manager Steve Gillis says:

“Adam is open to all offers. Adam has made it clear he won’t be accepting a one-year term and if things don’t change I don’t expect him to be at Souths. That’s the bottom line. In a perfect world, Adam’s preference is to stay exactly where he is. He is the captain, he has won premierships there and has mates and family there, but if things don’t evolve from Souths’ end, he will have to step up the process with other suitors. Adam will investigations all options. I believe he has another three years in him. If he signed a three-year deal, he would be 34. Benji Marshall (fellow Souths playmaker) is 36 this year, so there’s no reason Adam can’t play on beyond another 12 months.”

McHunt

Last edited:
It involves trying to pair yet another halfback with Anthony Milford:
This would be funny if it weren’t pathetically true.

I don’t doubt Milford has the potential to be a good 6 again, but honestly, I just don’t see it happening at the Broncos.

For all parties involved, he needs to take a hike. Hitting restart at another club could do him wonders, whilst at the same time allowing us the opportunity to start fresh and move on from the disaster of trying to manufacture him into anything more than a ball-running 6. Win win.

Last edited:
He’s one head knock, shoulder, knee from retirement. Nah.

In saying that, we're in the age of Medical Retirements now. As long as he's checked out properly by those who are required to (in order to confirm that there are no pre-existing conditions that would rule him out of being eligible), there is that to fall back on.

I've never really rated him outside of his kicking, but there are so many shit halves running around that he's probably right up there among the best by default.

There is jack all decent Playmaking halves in the game and imo Reynolds has probably got the best kicking game in the compeition, something we massively lack as while Milford can kick he often does stupid shit and Croft is worse then useless while dearden is probably a few seasons away from where we need him to be.

Playmaking 7s are worth their weight in Gold and we badly need one. I watch most games every week and watching Souths games I can clearly see Reynolds is a massive key to their success.

This doesn't mean Toss Dearden though, we could have him at 6 or 13 with Staggs if we go that direction, the speed of the game is pushing towards 3 Halves anyway.
A good kicking game is the least of the Broncos problems.

In saying that, we're in the age of Medical Retirements now. As long as he's checked out properly by those who are required to (in order to confirm that there are no pre-existing conditions that would rule him out of being eligible), there is that to fall back on.
A lot of these things like medical retirements only apply to Souths or the roosters.

Punt Milford

Sign Reynolds on a 2 year, 700k deal, with a PO for a 3rd year @400k which he can re-negotiate if he is still playing good footy

run with a halves pairing of:

6. Dearden
7. Reynolds

Croft as bench utility or back up

Punt Milford

Sign Reynolds on a 2 year, 700k deal, with a PO for a 3rd year @400k which he can re-negotiate if he is still playing good footy

run with a halves pairing of:

6. Dearden
7. Reynolds

Croft as bench utility or back up
Kevvie can't make his plans known though until he gets Staggs' signature in the bag. Otherwise he might baulk thinking the halves position is being closed off to him.

Kevvie can't make his plans known though until he gets Staggs' signature in the bag. Otherwise he might baulk thinking the halves position is being closed off to him.

If we sign Reynolds staggs isnt going to 6 imo.

If we were to sign Reynolds Deardon would be our 6.
Really? You're kidding aren't you. I thought Dearden was meant to be our great halfback saviour. How the hell is he a 5/8. He looks pretty slow to me on the field and not your typical 5/8 at all. Look at Sam Walker last night, now that is what a 5/8 plays like.

Dearden is too meek, always looks so hesitant and as nervous as a 16 year old virgin on prom night.

Really? You're kidding aren't you. I thought Dearden was meant to be our great halfback saviour. How the hell is he a 5/8. He looks pretty slow to me on the field and not your typical 5/8 at all. Look at Sam Walker last night, now that is what a 5/8 plays like.

Dearden is too meek, always looks so hesitant and as nervous as a 16 year old virgin on prom night.
Well it’s him or Milf. Who do you think they’d put in there. I never said Deardon would be there because he’s a natural 5/8. Im saying he’s played there in ISC so that’s where he’d end up.

For what it’s worth I don’t think he’s ready for either position or even NRL footy. But our whole system presently resembles a V8 running on two cylinders, badly in need of an oil change, running on low grade petrol and being driven by an eighty year old with severe dementia, with three brain dead passenger.

Kevvie’s been given the keys but he can’t seem to get the old bastard out of the car nor can he get the dead weight passengers to get so that he can fully service the thing.

We’re a fekkin shambles and according to @Smokin' Joe the insurance is due and it looks like not many companies want to touch us.

Apparently Cowboys have pulled the offer after finding out Reynolds has been on light duties in training since 2019, TBH after hearing that I would bail, even though he would be an excellent signing if he doesn't get injured sounds like he is already 1 foot into medical retirement.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.