Indigenous vs Maori All Stars 2022

Kelly can be a good option at 6 if he slims down and Kevvie simplifies his role so he's just focusing on running the ball.

That's his strongest asset, his running game. He doesn't really offer much else.

But after today, he has no doubt dropped down the pecking order. I know it was against a Wynnum side that struggled to get into any kind of rhythm, but Mam was really good, and so was Gamble.
I think Gamble was good without being great. Played to his ceiling. He has quite a nice short kicking game but doesn’t offer heaps outside of that except for pure enthusiasm. Definitely won’t do you wrong if called upon but I think compared to other NRL 6s he’s clearly just a good depth option.

Kelly can be a good option at 6 if he slims down and Kevvie simplifies his role so he's just focusing on running the ball.

That's his strongest asset, his running game. He doesn't really offer much else.

But after today, he has no doubt dropped down the pecking order. I know it was against a Wynnum side that struggled to get into any kind of rhythm, but Mam was really good, and so was Gamble.

Sometimes I wonder if you and I watch different games. Kelly was very good in the All Stars game as was Mam in the Wynnum game. Both made a mistake each that stood out and both defended admirably.

I was super impressed with Mam as most of us were but Kelly didn’t do anything to drop himself down the list.

I think Gamble was good without being great. Played to his ceiling. He has quite a nice short kicking game but doesn’t offer heaps outside of that except for pure enthusiasm. Definitely won’t do you wrong if called upon but I think compared to other NRL 6s he’s clearly just a good depth option.
For mine, although he has worn the 6, he is actually a very good 7 and would be the first man up if Reynolds were out or when reynolds retires. When he got on the field you could see him shouting and directing players around the field and we looked a lot better as a team. He also likes to get into first receiver a lot to give our forwards runs two passes off the ruck or start backline movements with some clean passes.

If he can learn to improve his long kicking game under reynolds, he will be a very good 7.

Last night didn't make kev's choice for 6 much easier, with Kelly playing pretty well albeit out of position and each half getting at least 1 try assist (mam and gamble both getting 2 TA and 1 try).

I still believe billy walters is a better 9. He has a high footy IQ, scans the defensive line when waiting for the play the ball and chooses his moments pretty well.

Kevie has a lot of selection headaches.

For mine, although he has worn the 6, he is actually a very good 7 and would be the first man up if Reynolds were out or when reynolds retires. When he got on the field you could see him shouting and directing players around the field and we looked a lot better as a team. He also likes to get into first receiver a lot to give our forwards runs two passes off the ruck or start backline movements with some clean passes.

If he can learn to improve his long kicking game under reynolds, he will be a very good 7.

Last night didn't make kev's choice for 6 much easier, with Kelly playing pretty well albeit out of position and each half getting at least 1 try assist (mam and gamble both getting 2 TA and 1 try).

I still believe billy walters is a better 9. He has a high footy IQ, scans the defensive line when waiting for the play the ball and chooses his moments pretty well.

Kevie has a lot of selection headaches.
I pretty much agree except I don’t think Gamble is the right guy to replace Reynolds long term. He’s great as halves depth and plays both the 6 and 7 role reliably but I’d hope in 3 years time we have someone with a higher ceiling as our Reynolds replacement.

I pretty much agree except I don’t think Gamble is the right guy to replace Reynolds long term. He’s great as halves depth and plays both the 6 and 7 role reliably but I’d hope in 3 years time we have someone with a higher ceiling as our Reynolds replacement.
I hope we find someone with a higher ceiling too but I just dont see organising half candidates that will be mature enough in 3-4 years.

I hope we find someone with a higher ceiling too but I just dont see organising half candidates that will be mature enough in 3-4 years.
There isn’t heaps to choose from but a lot can happen in 3 years.

Pending extensions:
Sexton will be coming off contract and 24 years old.
Walker could be available and will be 23-24.
Hughes will be off contract at 30.
Tom Dearden (don’t laugh) will be off contract and 24.
Josh James would be 23 and may be a late bloomer.

Some other gun might come through and Mam could be 50+ games into his career.

Reynolds might still be good and get extended.

There isn’t heaps to choose from but a lot can happen in 3 years.

Pending extensions:
Sexton will be coming off contract and 24 years old.
Walker could be available and will be 23-24.
Hughes will be off contract at 30.
Tom Dearden (don’t laugh) will be off contract and 24.
Josh James would be 23 and may be a late bloomer.

Some other gun might come through and Mam could be 50+ games into his career.

Reynolds might still be good and get extended.
Might be nice to see Walker return

Paix has work to do with his passes .
He caused a knock on when he passed to the big prop`s outside shoulder and high . He shook his head as soon as it went to ground . He knew he fcked up . Billy the Kid was very smooth with his passing as a link and at dummy half .

Gamble as 7 will lead to no room for the outside men .
Why ? Because he doesn`t have the acceleration to threaten to break the line from a standing start . Reynolds is a gun 7 because he threatens the line then passes . Keeping the defence from sliding off him and out to the centres and wingers .

Good halves can show and go and really threaten to bust through . This keeps the defence tighter and creates room out wide .

Sometimes I wonder if you and I watch different games. Kelly was very good in the All Stars game as was Mam in the Wynnum game. Both made a mistake each that stood out and both defended admirably.

I was super impressed with Mam as most of us were but Kelly didn’t do anything to drop himself down the list.

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.

Kelly did do something to drop himself down the list. He didn't perform better than the other options in the running for the 5/8 spot. The 5/8 spot is going to whoever deserves it the most and Kelly didn't do himself any favours.

He defended decently but he's playing for a 5/8 spot. That's not good enough. He had a pretty good chance to put himself ahead in the race against stronger opposition, but he didn't do that.

He came up with a huge play kicking that 40/20, then he undoes all of that a couple of tackles later. Apart from kicking that 40/20, he didn't really do anything else. Meanwhile Mam, Walters and Gamble did.

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.

Kelly did do something to drop himself down the list. He didn't perform better than the other options in the running for the 5/8 spot. The 5/8 spot is going to whoever deserves it the most and Kelly didn't do himself any favours.

He defended decently but he's playing for a 5/8 spot. That's not good enough. He had a pretty good chance to put himself ahead in the race against stronger opposition, but he didn't do that.

He came up with a huge play kicking that 40/20, then he undoes all of that a couple of tackles later. Apart from kicking that 40/20, he didn't really do anything else. Meanwhile Mam, Walters and Gamble did.

You are aware Kelly wasn’t playing 6 for the vast majority of the game right?

Active Now

• Pablo
  • mitch222
  • Midean
  • Fatboy
  • marw
  • Brotherdu
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.