Interesting

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
CHAMPION Maroons captain Darren Lockyer was sensationally told by coach Mal Meninga he stood one loss away from the State of Origin scrapheap as Queensland confronted its darkest hour.

Branded "Dad's Army" and on the brink of a fourth straight series loss after a Game One defeat in 2006, Meninga informed Lockyer, and veteran props Steve Price and Petero Civoniceva, that their Origin careers lay on a knife-edge.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5880106067

Was Mal being serious or was it just a masterstroke of motivation?

I reckon it was the latter.

I reckon it was a bit of both, ning. I think the reality is if QLD lost the 2006 series that serious questions would've been asked, particularly about Price and Civoniceva. I doubt Lockyer was really under threat, although Prince and Thurston shaped as a good alternative combination.

But rather than waiting until after the series to drop the bomb, Mal figured it was a chance to motivate them by telling them after game 1. Good idea.

Compare it to NSW who tell players the second they're selected "lose and you're gone".

12 different halves combinations in 14 games proves that.

I guess we're the only two who found that interesting then. [icon_lol1.

Mal fired up Locky up for the whole season!

Active Now

• PETERN
  • lynx000
  • cento
  • mystico
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Gaz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.