Is Hayne's best position in the halves?

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I didn't watch Parra play last night but they ended their 10 match losing streak with a get out of jail win against the Tigers, coincidentally it conspired with the return of Jarryd Hayne. Hayne played in the halves and from what I've heard played quite well and guided the team around well.

To succeed in Rugby League you need to have a match winning five-eighth or half and Hayne can win you a game and is Parramatta's best player. He has got a great running and passing game and has good game-reading ability, imo he can play anywhere in the backline and do well.

What should the Eels do keep him at fullback or give him a halves spot and give Mullaney a permanent first-grade spot?

But wait, they have the great Corey Norman coming next year. Hayne will have to just settle for which ever position CN doesn't want.

I think he's a fullback, but he certainly has the skills to be a half too.

The fullback is more like a running 5/8th than an actual 5/8th is these days. He could arguably be better than Inglis if he had more heart (and a better side around him).

No, Hayne is definitely a fullback. A player of his speed, power and ability operates at their best when they have space. At five eigth, he wouldn't be afforded those opportunities and his front-line defence would come into question.

The question should be whether it's in the Eels best interests to play him at five eigth and I don't think it is, at least not in the long term.

To succeed in Rugby League you need to have a match winning five-eighth or half and Hayne can win you a game and is Parramatta's best player. He has got a great running and passing game and has good game-reading ability, imo he can play anywhere in the backline and do well.

I think the Bulldogs last year proved that what you have just said doesn't matter if you have a classy fullback like Hayne.

I think the Bulldogs last year proved that what you have just said doesn't matter if you have a classy fullback like Hayne.

They proved it until they reached the Grand Final, and their lack of quality halves was exposed. Still, can't help but respect the way they identified their weaknesses and tried to build around that. Almost worked out perfectly.

Hayne's definitely a superstar in a small pond.

If he had the luxury of feeding a pair of halves smashing it week in week out he'd be a premiership winner.

Sandow, Norman, Hayne and some no name 9... needs an epic coach to haul their egos into line and fit three "dynamic" playmakers into one squad.

Sandow is a write off - he's there on his terms or he's not.

Norman is an unknown quantity as to how he'll rise to the challenge out of cotton wool.

Hayne is a confidence player. If he pulls of 1 or 2 big plays early on in the game it's like a multiplier effect and he'll usually go on to have a big one.

It's not just the spine minus Hayne. I'd say the entire team except for him and Mannah is just so wrong. Dunno why they still stick around there.

Hayne to five-eighth to me is one of those dick-head decisions by people who put too much merit in stats and overthink things. Can't remember the coach before Kearney (Anderson?), but they were the first to try it. Basically looked at his phenomenal stats for assists (both try & LB) and thought "that's what you need from a half!", as well as the fact that a lot of the time he seems to fade in & out of games. "Let's throw him in the halves, that way he has to get involved". But it's a crock. And a mirage. It's the same reasoning as a few years ago the Cowboys were looking at Thurston - they looked at the stats and saw that one out of (for example) five times he touches the ball, he makes something happen, like a bust, a break, or points. So the brains trust decided, I kid you not, that they should give him the ball as often as possible. Twice the touches = twice the points. Genius. Of course it backfired. It simply wore him out, trying to make something from nothing.

It's the same scenario with both players. Thurston still gets involved 400% as much as Hayne, but the trick is, you give them the ball when they want it, not just for the sake of it. Those two have amazing vision, they know what the defence is doing and can crack it open like few others. You put Hayne at 5/8, force him to get involved when there is no reason to, and it'll just water down his brilliance. It is so stupid and counter-productive, not to mention over-thinking, that I just know that Ricky is frothing at the mouth at the thought of Hayne touching the ball twice as much.

It's not just the spine minus Hayne. I'd say the entire team except for him and Mannah is just so wrong. Dunno why they still stick around there.

and yet Mannah is one of the ones getting the ass from Parramatta next year ...

Last edited:
and yet Mannah is one of the ones getting ass from Parramatta next year ...

I don't really get it, because he's far better than any of their other forwards. I guess if you try to understand Ricky Stuart, you'll just end up as dumb as he is.

Has Mannah been told to look elsewhere? I would have liked him but obviously not anymore because we got Kennedy and our money should be towards Barba and possibly Milford.

Are you sure Mannah is being axed? Think you've got your forwards mixed up Sharkie.

The make-up of their 2014 squad will be interesting, should look like...

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Ken Sio
3. Jacob Loko
4. Will Hopoate
5. Justin Hunt
6. Corey Norman
7. Chris Sandow (?)
8. Tim Mannah
9. Nathan Peats
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Gareth Hock
12. Kelepi Tanginoa
13. Darcy Lussick

14. Kaysa Pritchard
15. Mitchell Allgood
16. Junior Paulo
17. Brendan Santi

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.