Is RL dying in QLD

I wouldn't be so sure. AFL is spending truckloads at the grassroots level, our kids' school (which only opened this year) is being built with a shiny new AFL field, there is another one 20 minutes away due to open next year that is doing the same. League may still walk away king but it won't be from lack of trying (or dollars) by the AFL. Another reason why the "independent commission" is a joke, it's the same self-serving corrupt scum calling the shots.
This. It is intentional by the afl

Why do you think Microsoft sells office for $15 to school kids and their parents? Preseeding future loyalty

The AFL fails on an international level
It can't even get all the states involved within the one country its played in, to like the game......

Its room for growth is severely limited....... not the horse in the race to be backing IMO..

No wonder the government is spending money on it.

Fuckwits.

The AFL fails on an international level
It can't even get all the states involved within the one country its played in, to like the game......

Its room for growth is severely limited....... not the horse in the race to be backing IMO..

No wonder the government is spending money on it.

Fuckwits.

You are right, a national code that few other countries play will never catch on. I mean as three examples off the top of my head, the NFL has totally fallen over in the US, Kabbadi is basically dead and buried in India. Dragon boat racing is unheard of in China.

Both Rugby codes are becoming dominated by Pacific Islanders and Maoris, who collectively form an ethnic minority in this region. Most teams have at least 50%, but usually higher of this group, while they comprise less than 2% of the rugby catchment population. Given that racial subjects like this are best avoided lest you get branded with some kind of terminal insult, which requires a bloodletting that's never enough, it's not a topic many feel comfortable addressing.

The reality is this means the majority of parents are not sending their kids to play the Rugby codes, or the kids are invariably not good enough to make the team. The complaint you most commonly hear is these Pacifika kids are too big, and it's not fair. Well of course it's fair, and the Pacifika deserve their success but it's not healthy for growth of the the sport within the wider population.

No one has a final solution for this because it's a matter of natural selection. The dominant ethnic group in the region is not the master race in this sport and never will be.

The complaint you most commonly hear is these Pacifika kids are too big, and it's not fair. Well of course it's fair, and the Pacifika deserve their success but it's not healthy for growth of the the sport within the wider population.

Its funny, some of the big clubs I mentioned earlier will split their teams into Islanders v's the rest. My boys have mates at those clubs and they hate that that happens (and personally think its wrong). But, there's a switch that happens roughly around U14's which is about where the kids become parity with the exception of where the really talented players start to stand out, and the islander numbers start to drop away a bit. I don't have any evidence of the fact, other than observation but the numbers of indigenous kids seem to be on the up aswell.

Its funny, some of the big clubs I mentioned earlier will split their teams into Islanders v's the rest. My boys have mates at those clubs and they hate that that happens (and personally think its wrong). But, there's a switch that happens roughly around U14's which is about where the kids become parity with the exception of where the really talented players start to stand out, and the islander numbers start to drop away a bit. I don't have any evidence of the fact, other than observation but the numbers of indigenous kids seem to be on the up aswell.
I used to have a league scout living down the road from me who told me more than ten years ago he'd been asked to find Anglo kids, because the clubs were worried what might happen to the junior sport if it became dominated by Polynesians. This was well before I noticed it becoming a thing. And then it started to snowball.

They were talking about reverting the grades to weight divisions rather than age, like the old days. I don't know if that ever happened anywhere.

Rugby league has always been healthy in the indigenous communities. I don't think it's under threat there. Except they seem to churn out more backs than forwards.

They were talking about reverting the grades to weight divisions rather than age, like the old days. I don't know if that ever happened anywhere.
Not that I'm aware of, there are some dispensations but mostly seem to be around skill rather than size. And for the most part, the "big" kids below u14's don't have as much impact as people might think as the smaller kids will just run around them with ease. The bigger good kids should probably get moved up an age group, more for their own development than anything, but rarely happens cos parents like the lolz on facebook when they post their kids one amazing run.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.