It begins....

Fingers crossed for a change in this match.

The sad thing is that even if we do change it up, it'll only be temporary. It's happened more than half a dozen times already, we go with an expansive and entertaining high energy attack for a week or two, and then back to Griffinball afterwards.

Welp...the man was fantastic tonight, it was so great to see. He really seemed to grow in confidence during the game - hope that ankle's OK, the way he was rolling around on the turf gave me chills... Great game Benny boy!!

and the "reports" about barba being in 'trouble' suddenly all just disappear.

was great to see him put in a good performance. big confidence builder. his goal line defense again was immense.

Barba is the least of our concerns.

and I'll tell you what else isn't

Brisbane's Halfback !!

.......and by-gun it's been awhile ...heh heh heh. :laugh:

I thought Ben Hunt showed us last night against the Knights that he is capable of controlling a lead and then riding it home nicely for a victory. In the last couple of matches we have been beaten in, if a Locky or Aflie had of been there, those lost games would have been won. Hunt can now hopefully steer us across the winning post when we need it the most ...more often.

Something Brisbane have sorely been missing from their halfback since Locky's retirement.

Brisbane's Halfback !!

I thought Ben Hunt showed us last night against the Knights that he is capable of controlling a lead and then riding it home nicely for a victory. In the last couple of matches we have been beaten in, if a Locky or Aflie had of been there, those lost games would have been won. Hunt can now hopefully steer us across the winning post when we need it the most ...more often.

Something Brisbane have sorely been missing from their halfback since Locky's retirement.

I can not agree more with all of that

Brisbane's 6 is still a concern. If only we had one of our capable halves from last year...

I agree...it's a shame Scott Prince retired.

So Hunt gets an entire pre-season with the 7 as "his" from the get go and low and behold, he's impressing and really settling into the position. Imagine that.

I thought Ben Hunt showed us last night against the Knights that he is capable of controlling a lead and then riding it home nicely for a victory.

Couldn't agree more. I was half expecting the score to end up 32-30 or something stupid like that. It was great to see after leading 16-6 we actually went on with the job and put the game beyond doubt (though I think Granville's injection into the game was the catalyst as well).

Brisbane's Halfback !!

Agree also, although against the best sides, for mine we need 2 halves in charge, for the best sides will pressure Hunt beyond belief. One half is not enough when the going gets really tough

Any news on his ankle..? We will need that Ben Barba against Souths!!

Any news on his ankle..? We will need that Ben Barba against Souths!!

No reports. Positive sign, I would've thought. If he was gone for weeks/months, it would be all over the press, Easter long weekend or not.

Having said that, if his ankle is still troubling him enough that he is unwilling to run at full pace in fear of re-injuring himself, he needs to be rested. We can go a few rounds without him out there. If we start losing without him, short term pain for long term gain. I don't want him still having this problem when we've got both Milf and Hunt creating options for him next year.

Last edited:
Absolutely, and this is my fear - if he's not 100% on the ankle yet, FFS rest him!! Let him get it to where he's confident!! Play Maranta back there, it's his natural position and he's been very solid in the games he's had this year.

he has been down on confidence but i think a lot of it is because of the following:

1. new city, new club, new combinations.

2. Playing a different role to what he did at the Bulldogs. we require him to be more of a play maker, while the Bulldogs used him solely as a ball runner. it will take him time to find the balance between the two.

3. still trying to get his head right, he did have some serious problems, the recovery process will take time, one off season was never going to do it, although you have to start from somewhere.

IMO, it could take Barba half (to all of) this season until he really starts to return to something near his best. we have to be patient with him. but by next season with Milford taking the pressure off him. we could see the real Barba back.

he has been down on confidence but i think a lot of it is because of the following:

1. new city, new club, new combinations.

2. Playing a different role to what he did at the Bulldogs. we require him to be more of a play maker, while the Bulldogs used him solely as a ball runner. it will take him time to find the balance between the two.

3. still trying to get his head right, he did have some serious problems, the recovery process will take time, one off season was never going to do it, although you have to start from somewhere.

IMO, it could take Barba half (to all of) this season until he really starts to return to something near his best. we have to be patient with him. but by next season with Milford taking the pressure off him. we could see the real Barba back.

IMO it's not that complicated. It's seriously just his ankle. Confidence doesn't effect how fast you can physically accelerate off the mark. It would effect timing, create apprehension, etc, but it's simply been that he can't accelerate like he normally could.

IMO it's not that complicated. It's seriously just his ankle. Confidence doesn't effect how fast you can physically accelerate off the mark. It would effect timing, create apprehension, etc, but it's simply been that he can't accelerate like he normally could.

I'd say it's they primary issue. Some of the other issues may be contributing factors, but judging from what I've seen, moving up here has been good for him.

The most telling factor has been his inability/reluctance to step /pivot. I've seen some decent speed of the mark from him, but very little in way of footwork.

Hence it was a good sign to see him trying to cut to the outside against the Knights, rather than concede an easy tackle. Hopefully he can beat the niggles is obviously causing him.

While I'd rather we have him on deck if fit, I'd be in favour of resting him for a couple of weeks. Maybe when Kahu returns, Hoffman goes to FB and Barba gets some time to rehab that ankle?

Or really utilise these bye rounds coming up to get him to 100%, that's what the raiders are doing with Milford's medial ligament problem

If only we had a real ⅝

Without Barba our spine is broken - headless or leg less and his contribution in the knights game was telling. I was reminded of Bowen or Slater.

If he needs time off, so be it. Trouble is, I can't see us winning a game against the best sides without him. Hope I'm wrong. Hope Barba is actually coming good and doesn't need time off. Nevertheless, our lack of a proper ⅝ will bite us on the bum sooner or later.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Astro
  • broncos4life
  • Manlyman
  • MrTickyMcG
  • sooticus
  • Tim K
  • Stix
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • Browny
  • Fatboy
  • Aldo
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
  • LittleDavey
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.