Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
  • Staff
GettyImages-1043264210.png

Back to back? New coach Kelvin Wright leads Broncos’ NRLW charge

May 13, 2019

The Broncos have pulled off a coaching coup to secure the services of former Kiwis and Warriors assistant Kelvin Wright to lead their NRLW side to back-to-back premierships.

Wright has been announced as the Broncos NRLW head coach after stints as New Zealand’s assistant coach under Stephen Kearney in 2014-15 and the Warriors’ second-in-command in 2015-16.

Most recently, Wright was in charge of New Zealand’s 2018 international women’s side, the Kiwi Ferns, and was head coach of the inaugural Tweed Seagulls female squad this year.

His appointment at the Broncos comes after premiership-winning coach Paul Dyer stepped aside this season to focus on his full-time role as the club’s Game Development Manager.

Wright said expectations would be high for the Broncos this season following their historic 34-12 NRLW premiership win over the Sydney Roosters last year.

“It was a bit surreal at first to be honest,” he said of being made the Broncos’ head coach.

“Just being the Broncos, they have such a rich history so I was really honoured and privileged. In saying that though, I’ve got to knuckle down and do the hard work and make sure I get the job done.

“I believe the other teams are going to come out better prepared (to what they were last year) and stronger as well.

“We’ve got to concentrate on our own performances and our own standards.

“Expectations will be really high. We’ll just be starting again.”

Last year’s Broncos women’s side included representative stars Ali Brigginshaw, Brittany Breayley, Meg Ward and Stephanie Hancock, who will each be hoping to re-sign with Brisbane again this year.

Wright said the first step in his new role was gaining contracts for “a majority” of last year’s squad.

“They had a fantastic squad last season and looking forward to hopefully having a majority of those players back,” he said.

“I’m really honoured to get to coach some of these players. They’re such an intelligent group and hopefully take them a step forward in their careers.

“Last year’s NRLW, I thought overall it was an absolute great success.

“It put women’s rugby league on the map, which has been a long time coming.

“It was a very entertaining competition. Again, we’ll be doing our part at the Broncos to take that to another step, in the quality of play, entertainment and making sure we put the best game on show.”

Wright has had a mixture of success in his coaching career, most notably assistant coach to New Zealand’s historic 2015 Anzac Test defeat of Australia at Suncorp Stadium.

Last year, his Kiwi Ferns side were narrowly defeated by Australia in the thrilling Trans-Tasman Test and he hopes to bring some of his experience to the Broncos.

“I’ll add my own touch to the team,” he said.

“Obviously challenging players to improve. We’ll be looking at all areas across the park to make some small improvements.

“We’ve got a great platform there from last season but we’re going to have to start again.”

Source: Courier Mail

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
No one else has replied so I'm going to.

GO THE GIRLS!

They bring a fantastic brand of footy that is great to watch & our girls are the defending champions!

They play with heart, passion & skill that is absolutely brilliant to watch.

BRING IT ON
Nobody will say why
And neither will I
The Odd Man out
Suffers a clout
Should he say why

Allo

NRL Captain
Hopefully Robbo’s injury isn’t too bad - looks like a broken leg? She’s such a gun. Hope we sign her for life

Jedhead

NRL Player
If sets stinks it up I'd happily take Brittany Breayley. I always thought it was Brayley though for some reason.

State of Origin Rep
Jamie-Lee Lewis is going well for Souths, good kicking game. Another second generation Bronco?

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Are they still doing a stupid 4 week season?

It's actually decent footy, it's like a throwback to the pre-westle bullshit. Just don't let Bellamy's wife coach a team and this competition might stay good.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
  • Staff
Are they still doing a stupid 4 week season?

It's actually decent footy, it's like a throwback to the pre-westle bullshit. Just don't let Bellamy's wife coach a team and this competition might stay good.
I'm pretty sure it's going to remain a 4 week competition for the time being.

There is talk of expanding the season, but I think they want to gain more support before they do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter