It's time to look to the top

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Yep, I'm going there.

I respect Wayne as much as any Broncos supporter. His influence on this club, its culture and its history is written in the stars and there's nothing I can type here that will ever change that.

Despite that, he has been showing a level of arrogant stubbornness over certain things in recent times that is harming the team. Boyd's captaincy is frankly an abject failure. He can barely conduct himself with any sort of conviction or mongrel, let alone 16 other blokes. When the going gets tough, he either throws his hands up at the ref or turns his back on the play and skulks away off screen. The article about his fitness and retirement recently doesn't speak well to his current head space when it comes to footy either. This coupled with Wayne's well documented close knit relationship with him and it starts to look a bit like favoritism from the coach.

How the likes of Thaiday and Sims are still getting a run in this side has turned into an incredible mystery. They're washed up husks with zero net benefit to the side as a whole. Thaiday in particular can't go one game without stupid errors or trying to beat his chest like some brash toolbag as if watching his fat ass get in the oppositions face is gonna fire the team up.

And then you look at how Hunt is traveling next to Widdop down at the Drags as compared to our halves and you have got to wonder what it is Bennett is trying to achieve with them. They're both running players who don't run. Milford is a shadow of his former self. It is looking scarily like he doesn't want to be here at all anymore. Nikorima always had question marks hanging over his head regarding his place in the starting lineup and so far, he has well and truly left wanting.

Yeah yeah sure it's all doom and gloom isn't it but 4 rounds into season 2018 and we are not looking good at all. We barely beat the Cowboys who are playing like shit as well and the refs practically gifted us the 2 points against the Tigers. People are right when they say we could easily be in the same boat as the Raiders right now. Bennett knocking shoulders with Ricky Stuart, does THAT sit right with anyone here? I bet it doesn't, and yet he's lucky that he's not.

Sims was like our best player last week

Honestly, the best thing I can see Boyd doing for this team is retiring by the end of 2018. He's the least dangerous fullback in the comp, he doesn't seem interested when we're down or revving up the boys to give that extra %. All while getting big $ that could be spent elsewhere.

Boyd is solid, but he's not a star anymore.

I’ve got to ask the question
Has Wayne Newcastled us ?
Not in the same way but in ways that are really costing this side
Signing Bird
Re-signing Boyd for 4 years
Not Signing A Hb capable of owning this side ( Milf needs someone to help him ) and I know he is playing like shit rn

Wayne has to shoulder some of the blame, but it’s hard to keep players around when clubs like the tits are going around offering stupid money to juniors. Arrow and Taylor are really good, but having them on your books for like 1.5-1.7 mil between the two of them is a huge hit for two kids who won’t win you a comp.

Hunt on 1.2 mil is obviously over the top as well: we couldn’t and shouldn’t have matched that, and we lost Taylor because we went all in on him after the gf when we should have given ash a go. That dragons squad looks very suspect cap wise in my opinion, but if it’s legal they’ve done well.

Wayne has to shoulder some of the blame, but it’s hard to keep players around when clubs like the tits are going around offering stupid money to juniors. Arrow and Taylor are really good, but having them on your books for like 1.5-1.7 mil between the two of them is a huge hit for two kids who won’t win you a comp.

Hunt on 1.2 mil is obviously over the top as well: we couldn’t and shouldn’t have matched that, and we lost Taylor because we went all in on him after the gf when we should have given ash a go. That dragons squad looks very suspect cap wise in my opinion, but if it’s legal they’ve done well.

How does the dragons cap look suspect? Besides Hunt they got Graham from the dogs because he wasn’t wanted and they picked up a few outside back who would be on dirt cheap contracts (McDonald is a guy who would be getting paid minimum wage and playing out of his skin) and they lost a few players in the off season.

Besides Hunt and probably Widdop all their other guys were pretty much no names before going to the dragons. Frizzel, Debelin and Vaungh have all only come good the past two years and are probably on average contracts. I’d say they are easily under the cap.

I actually think Wayne was happy to let Hunt go and chase his payday, Hunt was playing like a shadow of himself after the GF loss, Taylor was the plan, Niko to interchange, there does not seem to have been a backup plan.

Maybe Hunt never wanted to stay and used us for $$$ bargaining?

I don't get it. Wayne made very bad decision on which player should let go. For example Adam Blair and arrow were similar type of player. They both good defenders and had good off loaders. Wayne should kept arrow. The biggest problem with these day are players. They need to be passionate to play for broncos. I hate how last year Milford went to Melbourne to meet with storm before re-sign with broncos on **** million dollars. So far this season he show nothing to deserve million dollars. I got bad feeling for this year.

The decision makers have made tactical retention errors in the #1 & #7 position, that’s clear as day. Milford’s form is horrible, diabolical even but he has shown he CAN be worth the money he’s on and he’s worth every cent.

Seems like the Broncs are like the Australian cricket side - harder to get out of it then to get in.

I don't get it. Wayne made very bad decision on which player should let go. For example Adam Blair and arrow were similar type of player. They both good defenders and had good off loaders. Wayne should kept arrow. The biggest problem with these day are players. They need to be passionate to play for broncos. I hate how last year Milford went to Melbourne to meet with storm before re-sign with broncos on **** million dollars. So far this season he show nothing to deserve million dollars. I got bad feeling for this year.

The storm bluffed us a beauty and I don’t think they were ever seriously in for him at the price. I think we could have got him for $800k a season (let’s face it not worth a dollar more) and could have kept arrow or Herman.

Still fired up about Sunday night. I've never been one to blame the coach but in light of the thread topic, It's the first time I've thought that Wayne's judgement is going. From his rot about our fullback being a great leader to his persistence with a couple of the worst bench forwards I've seen since the Griffin era (I wont bang on about the recruitment issues, its all over BHQ) .

Am I right in thinking our first 15 mins against the knights away will define our season? I think the knights are a little over hyped and media favourites but capable of beating us, overlay that with a Warriors defeat away and our obligatory home thrashing by the Storm.. the season will be gone and should that be the case, so should Wayne.

I don't want to go rogue / EPL style with a 'Wayne out' banner in the 3rd home game but this would be my breaking point should the above eventuate. I know I'm looking into something that hasn't happened but I think most of us have to think its a very real possibility. With the investment that has been made in the training facilities, a stinker season be enough to see him off at years end .....surely.

Still fired up about Sunday night. I've never been one to blame the coach but in light of the thread topic, It's the first time I've thought that Wayne's judgement is going. From his rot about our fullback being a great leader to his persistence with a couple of the worst bench forwards I've seen since the Griffin era (I wont bang on about the recruitment issues, its all over BHQ) .

Am I right in thinking our first 15 mins against the knights away will define our season? I think the knights are a little over hyped and media favourites but capable of beating us, overlay that with a Warriors defeat away and our obligatory home thrashing by the Storm.. the season will be gone and should that be the case, so should Wayne.

I don't want to go rogue / EPL style with a 'Wayne out' banner in the 3rd home game but this would be my breaking point should the above eventuate. I know I'm looking into something that hasn't happened but I think most of us have to think its a very real possibility. With the investment that has been made in the training facilities, a stinker season be enough to see him off at years end .....surely.

I understand where you are coming from. The best judge will be his reaction and the players ability to react also, we don't have terrible cattle, in fact we have a top 4 roster. So if Wayne cannot make the correct decisions over the next few weeks with starting sides and also getting the team to respond at training, then possibly we do need to look at whats stale. We will never be given a public discussion on what is wrong with the roster from WB, so even if he knows there are player issues - it will all be discussed behind closed doors.

However the following issues present itself if WB was to be chopped publicly:

1) We suddenly look like a club in dissaray and unprofessional
2) We don't have another coaching option
3) We need to settle player contracts before this can be thought of. A club with no coach, especially sacking WB would not be appealing to any player. Its also would serve as a big history marker - the year WB was cut. How will that affect the club long term?
4) It would let the players off the hook and delay future roster changes, when potentially the problem is both roster AND strategy.

It is my opinion that if Wayne is to go - another coach has to be moved in alongside Wayne and the chat has to be had as a "transition" period. Any other way would not end well.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Redfern_1980
  • Reds2011
  • Skyblues87
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • lynx000
  • porouian
  • johnny plath
  • jarro65
  • Waynesaurus
  • Alec
  • bert_lifts
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.