Jack Reed

I second that 100%, Danoz. The assumption that if you're too slow or heavy to play in the backs but you can make a go of it in the forwards is a very flawed assumption, imo.

Who said that?

This year he came off the bench in the 2nd row, had absolutely no impact what so ever.

IMO his position is centre or nothing.

It is problematic to just take one game and say he is no good. On that logic, he was motm when he played second row during origin period last year or the year before so you could take to show the opposite. I do think he could be a very good second rower as he can create, hit holes, drag defenders and defends well. What else would he need to be a good second rower?

He's talking the talk..... Makes one wonder if Bennett has pulled him aside and told him he needs to lift his game if he wants to keep his spot ?

It is problematic to just take one game and say he is no good. On that logic, he was motm when he played second row during origin period last year or the year before so you could take to show the opposite. I do think he could be a very good second rower as he can create, hit holes, drag defenders and defends well. What else would he need to be a good second rower?

It was at least two games, maybe three.

As I said, I just can't see him being effective off the bench or in the back row.

Although I haven't seen him really hitting any holes off a decent half, so he could be a little more effective than I have seen so far.

Last edited:
Who said that?

Jack Reed - I was referring to the article. If you read it carefully he talks about wanting to work on his speed and losing a few kilos in order to remain at center. He then goes on to say that if Bennett asked him to move into the forwards, he'd do it. I agreed with Danoz's post. It's center or nothing, imo.

I'm a bit skeptical as I don't think a positional switch is that simple or easy. The best positional changes I can think of mainly involved guys that would have been successful if they had stayed in that position or not (Lockyer, Carroll etc).

I thought you made a good point though about having a full pre-season with that goal in mind could work wonders. It's very hard to judge him as a forward after only a handful of games. It takes time. I also don't really agree with the notion that he's "the kind of player Bennett loves" either. Time will tell, am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind Copley and Reed swapping in attack and defense. Reed made his mark as a winger didn't he? Pretty sure that's what he was playing when we were all singing his praises to begin with.

He will be on the outer next year with Hodges and Copley but he is worth keeping as he will provide valuable cover during the origin period and when there's an injury.

Wouldn't mind Copley and Reed swapping in attack and defense. Reed made his mark as a winger didn't he? Pretty sure that's what he was playing when we were all singing his praises to begin with.

He made his mark as a centre. He came in after we lost Folau.

He played right centre until Hodges was back from injury, then shifted to the left.

Last edited:
It was at least two games, maybe three.

As I said, I just can't see him being effective off the bench or in the back row.

Although I haven't seen him really hitting any holes off a decent half, so he could be a little more effective than I have seen so far.

Yeah all fair points. He looked much better in the backend of the year when Hoffman wasn't killing every play on the left.

I'm kind of in the centre or nothing group. Where Reed has shown in the past that he is fast has been between the ears. When on his game he can be very good and in fairness, giving him a shot at some stage in the back row would the right thing to do. It's a puzzle I'm glad I don't have to figure out. With Rod Griffin also looming as a back rower I think we have plenty to choose from.

Already posted this in the 2015 thread.. But seeming as though it's far more on topic, I'll repost:

Guys, reed is in the side. You're all idiots for thinking he won't be or that he doesn't deserve to be. I agree Copley is good at centre but he's not a creative centre.. He is actually just a great finisher of someone else's play. Reed struck a lethal combination with hoffman in 2013. To which you all replied "that was mostly hoffman being a revelation on the wing"

Bullshit..

A good winger needs a Centre creating space for him. . (Ala darius boyd) everyone on here bags his origin try record saying "its all inglis" now all of a sudden you think reed had little to do with the tries Hoffman finished? Yes, finished. . It's all about running the play and a cut out to a winger in position. Reed has every right to claim credit even positionally. But his draw and pass, short kicking game and defensive ability contributes a LOT to our game.*

Copley will get his chance in a couple of years after hodgo moves on, not to mention through origin.

And speaking of origin. . Who is our fullback during this time? Hmmmmm

Last edited:
Just my two cents...

Tunza was a great backrow/centre in his day, then ended up being the perfect defensive foil for Lockyer when he made the switch to 5/8th...

Cant Reed do the same? Switched on between the ears, good reader of the play and defensive sound, he could guard Milford in the line and then be a hole runner off him or Boyd on the edge of the ruck. If you placing Copley in the centres then he and Vidot can be counted on to contribute metre gains in the ruck on kick returns etc, that could leave Reed to inject himself onto a short ball on the edge rather than be a metre gainer..?

Feel free to shot down.discuss at lesiure...?

Or tell me to get stuffed..?

Reed is one of the best defensive centres in the game. No one gets around him.

In attack, great on the kick chase and under the high ball (moreso in earlier seasons than 2013 or 2014).

He also used to have an awesome offload and could break tackles (remember that 50 metre effort against the Storm?). I don't know where the offload disappeared to.

Maybe, like a lot of the squad, he's gotten complacent or sluggish.

That's the one thing a shake up of the squad and a new coach (let alone Wayne Bennett) will whip out of this team

I like the idea of Reed on left wing next to Copley and Kahu outside of Hodges. Those wondering about the 110 kilo Vidot.... put him in at prop. He drags people along nicely.:takdir:

Copley and Reed both offer two different things. Copley is faster, has better footwork, and arguably stronger, but has been shown up numerous times in defence. Reed is slower and not as elusive, but is great at drawing in both his opposing centre & winger and putting his own winger away with a round-the-corner. And is a rock in defence, probably the best defensive centre since Matt Cooper.

I'm comfortable that Bennett will choose whoever best fits the style of play that the Broncos employ in 2015.

Active Now

• Jason Simmons
  • jarro65
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.