Jamayne Isaako is the Dally M Rookie of the Year

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/bb8e1b969c6ff622ee48d5b304c722c7

JAMAYNE Isaako has been crowned the 2018 Dally M Rookie of the Year.

The Broncos excitement machine has had such a blistering start to his NRL career that he temporarily forced club captain and former representative star Darius Boyd into the centres.
Between rounds 19-21, the 22-year-old was shifted to fullback and the Broncos won two of those three games, before Wayne Bennett reinstated Boyd.
Get ready for cricket like never before. FREE Sport HD + Entertainment until the first 4K cricket ball as part of 2 months free on a 12 month plan. SIGN UP TODAY. T&Cs apply.
Grand Final
700426_640x360_large_20180926192050.jpg

Isaako's sublime debut year
1:02
But it was a clear indication that Brisbane sees him as their long-term custodian, despite having only played 19 games (including his debut in 2017) at the top level.
So excited is the club about his potential, it locked him up until the end of 2024.
It’s no surprise the club is pinning its hopes on the flashy youngster.
He finished the season as the competition’s highest pointscorer (239), including 11 tries, 97 goals and a field goal, and secured his first Test cap for the Kiwis against England in June.
Fox League expert Justin Hodges says pure determination is behind Isaako’s sharp rise to one of Red Hill’s key men.
“I see him on his days off, he comes in and practices his kicking and his field goals all that kind of stuff, so obviously it’s well deserved,” he said.
Isaako will be hoping he can emulate the heady heights of the likes of Jarryd Hayne, Israel Folau, Steve Menzies, Greg Alexander and Paul Sironen, who have all claimed the rookie gong in the past.

It wasn't stolen from him. Good. He had an incredible debut year. I have high hopes for him. Well done kid.

Last edited:
Can't imagine how he'll improve on dedication for next year as by all accounts this kid already puts in so many extra hours doing kicking practice. Hope we get to see heaps more of that wicked step he has. This kid could be anything over the coming years.

Wouldn't have known if you only read NRL.com. Not one mention of it.

And when did the leading point scorer for the season no longer make the team of the year?

Eat a dick NRL.

Can't imagine how he'll improve on dedication for next year as by all accounts this kid already puts in so many extra hours doing kicking practice. Hope we get to see heaps more of that wicked step he has. This kid could be anything over the coming years.
Extra hours for his fullback play ;-)

Whilst its great brisbane got recognition this year the dally m’s have become an absolute joke.7/10 players came from teams below the broncos. Ash taylor was in the top 10! Hahahaha. He was lucky to be in the top 10 at the titans, a terrible team! Then you had dce getting halfback of the year ahead of hunt in 15(?) when hunt finished ahead of him in the votes, the rule they have now appeared to scrap AFTER that decision.. the system is massively flawed, it gets the top gong right about 50% of the time, but youd pick the names out of a hat sometimes and get better a “team of the year” most years. You have to be a media favourite or play for a shit team to get anywhere near the top of voting.

The fact Lockyer never won Dally M player of the year tells you all you need to know about this joke of a concept.

I mean, he’s the only bloke to win Golden Boot awards playing 2 different positions (Thurston at 6 and 7 doesn’t really count in my eyes as he played the exact same way regardless of the number on his back. Lockyer on the other hand, at 1 and 6, were vastly different positions).

In fact, the only Bronco to ever win Dally M was Alf in 1996. In 30 years, particularly through the dominance of the 90’s and early to mid 2000’s, the fact only one Bronco has won is almost criminal.

Last edited:
The fact Lockyer never won Dally M player of the year tells you all you need to know about this joke of a concept.

I mean, he’s the only bloke to win Golden Boot awards playing 2 different positions (Thurston at 6 and 7 doesn’t really count in my eyes as he played the exact same way regardless of the number on his back. Lockyer on the other hand, at 1 and 6, were vastly different positions).

In fact, the only Bronco to ever win Dally M was Alf in 1996. In 30 years, particularly through the dominance of the 90’s and early to mid 2000’s, the fact only one Bronco has won is almost criminal.

It wasn’t the offical best and fairest until 1998. It was just an award the Mirror gave. The Rothmans in Brisbane and Sydney ran from 68.

Alf won the Rothmans Medal in 1992 and that was the main award voted by the referees.

It’s always harder to win awards sometimes if you’re in very good teams because you take votes off each other.

Parramatta didn’t win a Rothmans until after their domination of the 80’s then Sterling won two, Broncos and Raiders through the 90’s only had one each.

Wally never won one- although refs picking it didn’t help.

Souths five grand finals in a row- one winner with Phelan in 81.

[Q...

Souths five grand finals in a row- one winner with Phelan in 81.[/QUOTE]

Now there was a great, tough, old school player, Chris Phelan.

It's been hit and miss for a while but 2015 and the Hunt thing did it for me. I get they've changed the rules now, but why it was that way to begin with I can't understand. 1910 nailed it, playing in a successful team will generally disadvantage you when it comes to awards like this

[Q...

Souths five grand finals in a row- one winner with Phelan in 81.

Now there was a great, tough, old school player, Chris Phelan.[/QUOTE]

Winner no matter where he went. Played in seven grand finals in a row- Souths 79, 80, 81 and 85. Parra 82, 83 and 84.

You know you’re going well when Bennett and Gibson need you.

Best nickname ever Howya Phelan!

Winner no matter where he went. Played in seven grand finals in a row- Souths 79, 80, 81 and 85. Parra 82, 83 and 84.

Best nickname ever Howya Phelan![/QUOTE]

Waltzing Matt Hilder will always make me giggle.

Best nickname ever Howya Phelan![/QUOTE]

Remember him well 1910, not the biggest bloke, but hit hard, uncompromising, just a tough nut.

That's good. He should mix it up with some passes between the goal posts too.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • Skyblues87
  • jd87
  • Gympie devil
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • MrRobot
  • Mr Fourex
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • RolledOates
  • mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.