James Gavet's Amazing Story

Good read, thanks for posting it actually. In some ways I feel I've read it before only it was African American and it was the Nbl or Nfl or some such thing. It's a familiar enough story. It takes pressure to make a diamond. Hopefully he keeps his head up and takes this chance.

Good luck too him sounds like he had a pretty rough time there for a while. Not to take anything away from him, but if he is an alcoholic i struggle to think the notion he can now control it is true, id imagine its in his best interest to be completely sober, thats my opinion anyway.

Hopefully we as a club can help this guy

Good luck too him sounds like he had a pretty rough time there for a while. Not to take anything away from him, but if he is an alcoholic i struggle to think the notion he can now control it is true, id imagine its in his best interest to be completely sober, thats my opinion anyway.
You're right of course, once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. Perhaps he isn't one and the alcohol abuse was just a symptom of his depression. With a clear mind and a sense of purpose he may be able to exercise the control required. I wish him well even if his career path doesn't involve football.

You're right of course, once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. Perhaps he isn't one and the alcohol abuse was just a symptom of his depression. With a clear mind and a sense of purpose he may be able to exercise the control required. I wish him well even if his career path doesn't involve football.
Lets hope thats the case! Has destroyed too many lives so hopefully he has it all under control.

I like Gavet's candour, and I really hope he makes it and prospers in life, as he has already suffered more in his young life, than most people in their entire lives.

I don't think having a couple is the right way to go... with alcohol, you're either in or out, there's no middle term.

Wish him all the best and hope he can settle down here for the foreseeable future.

A bit of stability in life should help, as does a family of your own.

"Perhaps he isn't one" ....would be most likely the case IMO. Once again the labelers in society are quick to throw a stamp on someone and wrap them into a diagnosis and cure situation.

"Perhaps he isn't one" ....would be most likely the case IMO. Once again the labelers in society are quick to throw a stamp on someone and wrap them into a diagnosis and cure situation.
I disagree with that. A lot more people have a problem with alcohol than are willing to admit, acknowledge or be aware of. The fact that a teenager was getting drunk and passing out would imo spell a problem with alcohol. Maybe he isn't one but from reading between the lines of that article and through experience i would say he has a problem with the drink.

Yeah, he acknowledges an addiction to alcohol... and unless we're going to argue semantics, that normally implies alcoholism.

There is so many variables when it comes to this stuff, it's not as straight forward as 'you have had problems with alcohol, you can never have a drop again'

By the sounds of the article he has been working with a professional to gain control and whilst none of us know the exact details, it would be safe to say if he has been told that you can't ever drink again he wouldn't be telling a national paper that he has the occasional drink

Exactly ......he had a few problems and was using alcohol to self medicate. Doesn't make him an alcoholic that should never drink again.

I'd be depressed if I drank apple juice....I can't stand the stuff.

Not drinking any alcohol ever sounds depressing.

Haven't had a drink in seven months, don't really miss it a whole lot.

All about perspective, before I couldn't envisage how people do it but now I realise it's easier to say no than get rip roaring and have an entire day wiped out afterwards.

Depends on your habits too, if you're a casual drinker that has one every now and then you might miss it more than someone who is over binging.

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Browny
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Harry Sack
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Justwin
  • bb_gun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • mrtij
  • Scdeac
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.