James Maloney

Just out of curiosity, how does this differ from our current 6?

The only difference I can think of is that Milford puts in no effort in every aspect, not just defence.

Milford puts in plenty of effort in defense, he's just not good at it. Very big difference.

With Hopoate leaving it would free up another spot

Just saw that on Twitter, where's that rumour come from?

I mean, it's understandable, he's zero chance of cracking first grade again with the troops returning.

Milford puts in plenty of effort in defense, he's just not good at it. Very big difference.
Like he did the other night when he and Boyd stood and watched the Titans score their second try?

Like he did the other night when he and Boyd stood and watched the Titans score their second try?

You could point out individual examples for every player in the NRL standing and watching if you want to, they all do it at some point.

All in all, Milf does try pretty hard in defense, at least in the conversation of "what's the difference between Maloney and Milford defensively", it's not even close.

Just saw that on Twitter, where's that rumour come from?

I mean, it's understandable, he's zero chance of cracking first grade again with the troops returning.

I heard it a few days ago from a bloke i know from Reddy. Heard he wants to move back closer to family in NSW.

You could point out individual examples for every player in the NRL standing and watching if you want to, they all do it at some point.

All in all, Milf does try pretty hard in defense, at least in the conversation of "what's the difference between Maloney and Milford defensively", it's not even close.
I could, but that wouldn’t be relevant.

What is most interesting is that I didn’t even need to stop and think to come up with an example of Milford not trying in defence.

And sure, Maloney is technically bad in defence, but that aside; I’m actually intrigued as to how you quantify Maloney not trying in defence?

Indeed, he comes across as a real competitor, which you couldn’t really say about Milford at the moment, in any facet of the game.

I heard it a few days ago from a bloke i know from Reddy. Heard he wants to move back closer to family in NSW.
GL to him hope he stays out of trouble when he moves back.
Wouldn't be a bad buy for the bulldogs

Last edited:
I could, but that wouldn’t be relevant.

What is most interesting is that I didn’t even need to stop and think to come up with an example of Milford not trying in defence.

And sure, Maloney is technically bad in defence, but that aside; I’m actually intrigued as to how you quantify Maloney not trying in defence?

Indeed, he comes across as a real competitor, which you couldn’t really say about Milford at the moment, in any facet of the game.

I'm really not sure what your argument is here. Are you arguing that Maloney tries hard defensively or that Milford doesn't?

You only need to watch some games of footy to formulate an opinion. Although it's always nice when the stats back up what the eyes tell you. Maloney was far and away the worst player in the NRL without the footy in his hands for consecutive years prior to him leaving, that's a statistical fact and an observation on my behalf.

I'm certainly not saying Milford is some defensive savant, but to even mention him in the same breath as Maloney in terms of being a complete liability defensively is just objectively false.

Would the kicking game and competitiveness of Maloney counteract all of his other enormous detrimental impacts on a team? I would say almost certainly no at age 34 with no recent footy under his belt, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.

Figured that would be the case.

Can't be this year though can it??

We're beyond June 30 now

Figured that would be the case.

Can't be this year though can it??

We're beyond June 30 now

I think it can be, but i'm not sure. I thought they were a bit more relaxed on players moving with all the covid stuff

I'm really not sure what your argument is here. Are you arguing that Maloney tries hard defensively or that Milford doesn't?

You only need to watch some games of footy to formulate an opinion. Although it's always nice when the stats back up what the eyes tell you. Maloney was far and away the worst player in the NRL without the footy in his hands for consecutive years prior to him leaving, that's a statistical fact and an observation on my behalf.

I'm certainly not saying Milford is some defensive savant, but to even mention him in the same breath as Maloney in terms of being a complete liability defensively is just objectively false.

Would the kicking game and competitiveness of Maloney counteract all of his other enormous detrimental impacts on a team? I would say almost certainly no at age 34 with no recent footy under his belt, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.
My point is pretty simple.

You stated Maloney doesn’t try in defence. I asked how that would be different to our current 6. Further, I stated Milford currently lacks effort across all facets of the game, not just defence.

You've then gone on to provide subjective opinion about Maloney not trying, but can only provide facts to back up that he is technically poor (which is absolutely right).

Simply, I don’t know how you can affirm that Maloney doesn’t try in defence. Particularly as Maloney has always been considered a competitor, whilst Milford has pretty much always been considered lazy.

To clarify, I absolutely agree Maloney is a poor defender, but I don’t know I would agree it’s because he “puts in zero effort” as you said.

EDIT: in the stats you supplied (missed tackles, penalties etc.), how many tackles did each player make that season? I’m not interested in using it to prove anything either, I’m just curious.

Last edited:
My point is pretty simple.

You stated Maloney doesn’t try in defence. I asked how that would be different to our current 6. Further, I stated Milford currently lacks effort across all facets of the game, not just defence.

You've then gone on to provide subjective opinion about Maloney not trying, but can only provide facts to back up that he is technically poor (which is absolutely right).

Simply, I don’t know how you can affirm that Maloney doesn’t try in defence. Particularly as Maloney has always been considered a competitor, whilst Milford has pretty much always been considered lazy.

To clarify, I absolutely agree Maloney is a poor defender, but I don’t know I would agree it’s because he “puts in zero effort” as you said.

EDIT: in the stats you supplied (missed tackles, penalties etc.), how many tackles did each player make that season? I’m not interested in using it to prove anything either, I’m just curious.
I honestly think the narrative that Milford doesn't try or put in effort in defense, is total bullshit. He is stuck between the worst centre/winger pairing in the comp and a revolving door of backrowers, who normally should support the half in defense, not the other way around...

He certainly needs to get more involved in attack, and his defensive technique is nothing to write home about, but I do believe the gaping holes left in our left side defense have him running ragged too, which limits his impact in attack.

in the stats you supplied (missed tackles, penalties etc.), how many tackles did each player make that season? I’m not interested in using it to prove anything either, I’m just curious.

Difficult to say because they scrubbed Maloney's stats from the NRL database, only leaving the records for most missed tackles, penalties conceded, etc. If someone else has another database where they can pull the numbers from I'd also be interested.

Based on a pure guess I would assume that Maloney made a lot more tackles (purely for the fact that Maloney missed nearly 3 times as many as Milford, you'd assume he's attempting at least twice as many tackles).

In regards to your extremely vague point. 'How can you affirm that Maloney doesn't try in defence', I literally explained my rationale in the last post. 1) I watch every game every week and can usually deduce which players are the ones who put in the most effort in the defensive line, and which players just grab with arms and 2) The stats, which verify my deduction.

I really don't know how else I can frame it for you. If you've watched Maloney over the last few years and believe he puts in a considerable effort defensively, you're welcome to have that opinion. Based on what I've seen I feel quite comfortable with the opinion that Milford puts his body on the line more and tries harder defensively than Maloney in the last few years (Note: Milford still sucks defensively, not claiming otherwise).

Difficult to say because they scrubbed Maloney's stats from the NRL database, only leaving the records for most missed tackles, penalties conceded, etc. If someone else has another database where they can pull the numbers from I'd also be interested.

Based on a pure guess I would assume that Maloney made a lot more tackles (purely for the fact that Maloney missed nearly 3 times as many as Milford, you'd assume he's attempting at least twice as many tackles).

In regards to your extremely vague point. 'How can you affirm that Maloney doesn't try in defence', I literally explained my rationale in the last post. 1) I watch every game every week and can usually deduce which players are the ones who put in the most effort in the defensive line, and which players just grab with arms and 2) The stats, which verify my deduction.

I really don't know how else I can frame it for you. If you've watched Maloney over the last few years and believe he puts in a considerable effort defensively, you're welcome to have that opinion. Based on what I've seen I feel quite comfortable with the opinion that Milford puts his body on the line more and tries harder defensively than Maloney in the last few years (Note: Milford still sucks defensively, not claiming otherwise).
I can see for the most part we either disagree or are on different pages, so I’m happy to leave it at that.

@Porthoz just like his attack, I don’t think anyone would argue that Milford can’t be very solid in defence (I think back to some of the try-saving one on one tackles he has made over the years as proof of this), but similarly, I think it’s fair to say he can be downright awful too (throwing nothing more than a hand out when he could have got his body in front, had he wanted).

So IMO, Milford's biggest problem (particularly of late) is effort (or perhaps a different way of looking at it is a lack of application / desire).

Anyway, this thread is about Maloney, so I don’t want to derail it any longer with talk about Milford.

Maloney re: NRL rumours

“I’m living the dream over here,’’

“There’s nothing any club could do to get me back there. I’m as happy as Larry.

“I was always comfortable when I made the decision that I was ready to go and that there would be no regrets.

“I woke up a few mornings ago and I had mates messaging me saying, ‘I’m not sure if it’s true you’re coming back because you look like you’re loving it over there’.

“I’m not sure where the talk has come from. It was also suggested the club may have been struggling, but we’ve actually been one of the luckier clubs over here because we’ve lost less than the NRL and other Super League teams with the French government [topping up] our contracts.’’

Great news, he's not what the club needs.

Maloney re: NRL rumours

Great news, he's not what the club needs.
The headline on fox was like "something Broncos fans won't be happy with"

I was like **** off we better not be buying Maloney.

Our defence is horrendous so let's waste the cap space on a fucking turnstile

Maloney is crap so very likely the Broncos will try to sign him.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Strop
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • Jedhead
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Shane Tronc
  • BroncosAlways
  • winslow_wong
  • Culhwch
  • Porthoz
  • Wolfie
  • Dazza 92
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Financeguy
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • sooticus
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.