Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Robertsj 170818702

James Roberts ready for NSW Origin crack: Kahu

February 12, 2018

James Roberts is ready to be unleashed for NSW in State of Origin where he can be a game breaker in the big arena, insists his Brisbane Broncos teammate Jordan Kahu.

NSW coach Brad Fittler said recently Roberts was in the frame for the Blues and the 24-year-old flyer's progress would be monitored.

Last year the Brisbane centre scored 18 tries for the Broncos and Kahu got a bird's eye view of his talents playing outside him at right wing.

"The last couple of years he has been up there. Origin is another level and Jimmy probably deserves a shot, at least once," Kahu said.

"He is just a game breaker and the person you need in big games. He can just flick a switch, and you give him the ball and he will create something.

"I just think that Origin is so back and forth and you need someone like Jimmy to get ahead."

Roberts has appeared in great shape at Broncos training where he has been more vocal and taken on a leadership role.

"Jimmy has sorted things off the field and coming to training is always keen," Kahu said.

"He's been around for a while now and has been leading a lot of the young boys at training and helping them. He's been awesome."

Kahu, who grew up playing in the custodian's position in rugby union, said he had "made it no secret that I want to play fullback" and may get his chance in the trials with captain Darius Boyd on the injured list.

He was quick to say he did not expect Boyd to be moving into the halves and added the Maroons star would be the club's fullback in 2018.

"If I'm not playing fullback, I'm not really bothered [where I play]... if Darbs is no good I'll definitely put my hand up," he said.

The imminent positional change of Corey Oates from wing to second row is one that Kahu said he could see working.

"He grew up in the second row and has that natural ability there, and although he has been playing really good for us and at Origin level on the wing I am sure he'll fit into that role nicely if he does," Kahu said.

Kahu, who has groin surgery after the season finished, earlier told NRL.com that he felt like a new man after his operation with the pain that dogged him throughout 2017 now a thing of the past.

He had a minor setback but will soon be back practising his goal kicking in preparation for the season kick-off.

"From about March all the way through the whole season I was struggling to run and my training was modified for pretty much the whole year," Kahu said.

"As soon as I got the surgery I felt a lot better even waking up in the mornings. I didn't have that pain in my tummy I had the whole year and it so much better running now."

Meanwhile, Broncos new recruit Jack Bird left training early on Monday morning after re-injuring his sternum.

Bird had ice on the injury and was off to get some pain-killing injections.

The injury is one he carried last year and is a different issue to the one that led him to having shoulder surgery.

Kahu said he had his "fingers crossed" for English recruit Andre Savelio when he undergoes scans on a suspected serious knee injury he suffered in the Broncos 16-6 win over the CQ Capras on Saturday night.

Source: NRL.com

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I don’t want him to play because he will pick up bad habits. He’s worked on his defence. QLD don’t need to break him like they did to Jennings, Merritt and Morris.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
he was ready 2 years ago, but nsw have a habit of not pucking their best inform players.

they also dont like picking players who can win games or who have genuine speed.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
The NSW media generally picks their team. Will not be surprised if both Bird and Roberts miss out.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This team would win origin for NSW:

1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. TTurbo
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. McLean
9. Peats
10. Campbell-Gillard
11. Cordner
12. Crichton
13. JTurbo

14. JReynolds
15. Klemmer
16. Fifita
17. Vaughn

I've probably forgotten a few in the forwards. Fortunately, in the past NSW would never have picked this side. Unfortunately, with a new coach who actually seems to have an idea about what he is doing, this year they may well might.

Last edited:
T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
We'll see if fittler does indeed know what he is about. With Qld losing key players this year there's never been a better one for them to strike back.
Having said that, fittler as coach of the roosters, got himself wasted enough to fall asleep in the lobby of the team hotel.
From memory he had to issue himself a $10,000 fine.
Roberts is a fairly fragile character, trying to rebuild his life from that exact kind of chaos. I can't help but feel if Roberts is selected he'll need a lot of support, and I don't know if fittler has learnt the maturity to offer it. I hope someone there has.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
This team would win origin for NSW:

1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Roberts
4. Bird
5. TTurbo
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Vaughn
9. Peats
10. James
11. Cordner
12. Crichton
13. JTurbo

14. JReynolds
15. Klemmer
16. Fifita
17. Woods

I've probably forgotten a few in the forwards. Fortunately, in the past NSW would never have picked this side. Unfortunately, with a new coach who actually seems to have an idea about what he is doing, this year they may well might.

I’d have RCG over James and anyone in the NRL over Woods.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Goodness me, I forgot McLean as well. Yep, no place for Woods at all, but we all know NSW will pick him. If they had a more ready number 9 than Peats, that side would be deadly. They really should beat the Qlders this year comfortably if they pick that side, save for the legend at 9 in maroon.

I think the Maroons needs something other than Boyd at 1 but with Slater retired (he has hasn't he?), Ponga this won't be ready.

1. Boyd
2. Holmes
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Milford
7. Morgan
8. Napa
9. Smith (c)
10. Scott
11. Cooper
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Munster
15. Kaufusi
16. Wallace
17. Hess

I think the bench spots are all really up in the air this year and the halves are massive question marks but that backline is still stunningly good.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
I’d have RCG over James and anyone in the NRL over Woods.

be fucked if i know why there is such a love affair with woods.
his defense is seriously softer than a pensioners turd.
with rcg, if i were in charge of a club or recruitment he would be top of my list. you could build a club around him

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
And now pearl is onto it.
Maroons great Steve Renouf urges Brad Fittler to pick James Roberts for NSW Origin team in 2018

QUEENSLAND great Steve Renouf has defied the code of the Maroons by revealing how the Blues can turn the lopsided table in the Origin arena their way in 2018: Pick James Roberts.

The electrifying centre travelled to the remote Queensland community of Theodore last weekend to see a young Broncos side play their first trial of 2018, young players he is helping to transition into the top grade.

For a talent who has had enough trouble helping himself for much of his career, that Roberts is showing an interest in the development of youngsters coming into the Broncos squad should also reflect positively in the way he plays.

First mentioned as an Origin prospect by Brad Fittler when he was a NSW assistant coach in 2015, Roberts has scored 27 tries in 51 games since joining the Broncos two years ago and is one of a number of Queensland-based New South Welshman Fittler intends to visit in the coming weeks.

The Broncos’ all-time leading tryscorer, Renouf revealed recently how he thinks Roberts can one day make that particular record his own and says if the Blues hope to end Queensland’s Origin dominance they need more strikepower.

NSW have scored 20 points or more just six times in their past 36 clashes with the Maroons dating back to 2006 — three of which were losses — and with Fittler now in charge there should be a shift to a more adventurous style of play.

“If he has a start to the season and carries on his form I’d be very, very surprised if they don’t give him a spot in that team,” Renouf said of Roberts’ Origin claims.

“To me, if there’s only one criticism, and I’ve heard plenty of people say this, it’s become a little bit robotic in the fact that we are going for size (in the centres). You lose the impact of a player like Jimmy Roberts and Tyrone Peachey.

“They excite me every time they touch the ball and they’re not just belting it up.

“They’re using their feet, they’re thinking a bit more and they’re looking for that hole.

“We need more hole-runners.”

Since his arrival at Red Hill the 24-year-old has been responsible for a host of long-range tries that have lit up highlight reels and Brisbane teammate Jordan Kahu also believes he is the type of player the Blues could use in the Origin arena.

“The last couple of years he’s had here he’s been up there,” Kahu said of Roberts’ Origin prospects.

“Origin level is another level and I guess Jimmy probably deserves a shot.

“He’s just a game-breaker, a person you need in big games.

“He can just flick a switch. You give him the ball and he’ll create something.

“Origin is so back and forth and you probably need someone like Jimmy to get ahead.”

Plagued by off-field issues and disciplinary problems that threatened to derail a promising career, Roberts visited a rehabilitation in clinic in late 2016 and missed just one game as the Broncos got to within one game of the 2017 grand final.

Wayne Bennett’s faith in Roberts’ future was on full display when the Brocnos coach signed him to a new four-year deal in July last year and Kahu believes he has made considerable strides off the field in the past 12 months.

“Jimmy’s been good. He’s really sorted things off the field and coming to training he’s always keen,” said Kahu.

“He’s been around for a while now and been leading a lot of the young boys and help

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I'd leave out many current NSW players. They have lost for so long they just need to blood the players that will win eventually. Need to drop the bad boy tough guy thing too (Gallen, Klemmer, Dugan, Ferguson ect)You just know those guys are compensating for being losers. They don't need the biggest forwards in the NRL (Fifita, Klemmer). We won and our forwards were fairly small but they were committed. Have good character. They have so much depth. Just choose the wrong guys.

1. James Tedesco / Matthew Moylan
2. Josh Addo Carr / Josh Mansour
3. Tom Trbojevic / Jarrod Croker
4. Jack Bird / Latrell Mitchell
5. James Roberts / David Nofoaluma
6. Clint Gutherson / Luke Keary
7. Nathan Cleary / Adam Reynolds
8. Paul Vaughan / Reagan Campbell
9. Cameron McInnes / Nathan Peats
10. Jake Trbojevic / Dale Finucane
11. Wade Graham / Ryan James
12. Boyd Cordner / Joel Thompson
13. Nathan Brown / Trent Merrin
------------------------
14. Tyrone Peachey / Bryce Cartwright
15. Angus Crichton / Tyson Frizzell
16. Jordan McLean / Junior Paulo
17. Jack De Belin / Tariq Sims

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Frizzell! Yes the other one I forgot, put him in instead of Fifita for sure.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I'd leave out many current NSW players. They have lost for so long they just need to blood the players that will win eventually. Need to drop the bad boy tough guy thing too (Gallen, Klemmer, Dugan, Ferguson ect)You just know those guys are compensating for being losers. They don't need the biggest forwards in the NRL (Fifita, Klemmer). We won and our forwards were fairly small but they were committed. Have good character. They have so much depth. Just choose the wrong guys.

1. James Tedesco / Matthew Moylan
2. Josh Addo Carr / Josh Mansour
3. Tom Trbojevic / Jarrod Croker
4. Jack Bird / Latrell Mitchell
5. James Roberts / David Nofoaluma
6. Clint Gutherson / Luke Keary
7. Nathan Cleary / Adam Reynolds
8. Paul Vaughan / Reagan Campbell
9. Cameron McInnes / Nathan Peats
10. Jake Trbojevic / Dale Finucane
11. Wade Graham / Ryan James
12. Boyd Cordner / Joel Thompson
13. Nathan Brown / Trent Merrin
------------------------
14. Tyrone Peachey / Bryce Cartwright
15. Angus Crichton / Tyson Frizzell
16. Jordan McLean / Junior Paulo
17. Jack De Belin / Tariq Sims
I'd honestly look at Moses for 6

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
How long do NSW’s props maintain a high level? RCG could be the next Tim Grant. Their depth works against them - the moment another one as a good 6 months the incumbents get the boot and, as expected, put in a decent performance then taper off. No different to young club players. Wrecks their careers when they should be held on to and allowed to learn consistency at rep level.

If I were NSW’s coach I’d have a squad of 25 every year in addition to the Emerging camp. Bring one or two rookies in but also the seasoned fringe players. Keep them involved so they don’t feel like spent rejects and get to keep working inside the elite rep-level squad. They already do it with 18th and 19th man, it’s just an extension of that.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Morkel
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Midean
  • I bleed Maroon
  • marw
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.