Kalyn Ponga

Sign him up here is a bloody gun chuck him on the wing give him bit of roaming privilege kahu Roberts centers ponga oats wingers chuck ponga at fb over origin and cover for Boyd

Who do we have as fullback depth? I dont mean as in Kahu dropping back or one of our starters switching position, but who do we have in our junior system? If it happens (which, lets be honest probably wont, but would be a little slice of justice after losing the GF) ponga would be a brilliant buy.

Who do we have as fullback depth? I dont mean as in Kahu dropping back or one of our starters switching position, but who do we have in our junior system? If it happens (which, lets be honest probably wont, but would be a little slice of justice after losing the GF) ponga would be a brilliant buy.
Kahu is the current New Zealand fullback, I don't see how that doesn't suffice. As somebody mentioned, mead (current png fullback for what it's worth), Niko and Milford are more than able fill in. And working off your criteria, Corey Allan is a great junior prospect

Ponga will be great, but I don't think he's the right investment for us at this point in time unless it's in lieu of one of our current contracted players.

A cheaper potential prospect I'd target is Gideon gela mosby, who seems on the outer. Holds the highest try tally in an NYC season by a ridiculous margin, and would give us the two fastest players in the competition by a long shot.

A young bloke by the name of Corey Allen goes really well and there are a few others in the other 20s coming through. Fullback is not a position we are not covered in. Just because you may not rate the back up options in other positions in the starting side as back up options doesn't mean they aren't. If Boyd goes down, moving the NZ fullback from wing/centre to the back is not much of a downgrade to be fair.

A young bloke by the name of Corey Allen goes really well and there are a few others in the other 20s coming through. Fullback is not a position we are not covered in. Just because you may not rate the back up options in other positions in the starting side as back up options doesn't mean they aren't. If Boyd goes down, moving the NZ fullback from wing/centre to the back is not much of a downgrade to be fair.

Pardon my ignorance, but what sort of player is Corey Allen?

Never said I didnt rate our boys. My main point was to know if we have any quality fullbacks coming through the system.

Will be interesting to see how his body develops. He is quite small at the moment as an 18 yr old, but looks somewhat lanky as well. I remember teddy was quite small when he debuted and then all of a sudden blew up when he finally returned.

Would be a great signing and could jump on the wing for us and then FB when Darius retires

Boyd
Ponga (assuming Oates to 2nd row)
Kahu/Opa
Roberts
Mead/Kahu/Pearson

If Oates stayed in the backs then Ponga could claim right wing but I'm thinking Mead is a big chance to lock that spot down

If he's even half as good as everyone says he is then in a few years time one of the stupider clubs will make an offer he can't refuse like Warriors did with RTS.

I reckon most likely he's going to be a good player. But the hype about him has got to a ridiculous level now.

A lot of the hype for a long time now has been driven and fuelled by his Dad from when Kalyn was very young.

Last edited:
If we had to lose one of our spine players I would choose McCullough.

Kahu and Mead are great back up options for fullback but neither of them are a long term prospect of being a Broncos fullback. We need someone who is going to form a combination with Milford and push for rep honours in the spine together for the next decade ( eg. Storm spine for QLD/AUS )

There is nothing wrong with Boyd at the back right now but we should put in place a succession plan. Someone like Valentine Holmes or Kalyn Ponga who are both Queenslander's and future superstars would be ideal.

We should deff sign ponga and move oats off the wing to accommodate him

If we had to lose one of our spine players I would choose McCullough.

Kahu and Mead are great back up options for fullback but neither of them are a long term prospect of being a Broncos fullback. We need someone who is going to form a combination with Milford and push for rep honours in the spine together for the next decade ( eg. Storm spine for QLD/AUS )

There is nothing wrong with Boyd at the back right now but we should put in place a succession plan. Someone like Valentine Holmes or Kalyn Ponga who are both Queenslander's and future superstars would be ideal.

I don't really understand the want for Val Holmes to move to fullback. I'd say he's up there as one of the best wingers in the comp with his strong running and finishing but I don't really see how that translates to modern fullback play where defence (positioning, bomb defusion, etc.) and ball playing seems to be a necessity

dcc912707e93915cc0633522bb043bdc.jpg

Quotes from his Dad

Dat Bennett effect tho. As alive today as it was in the '90s

I don't really understand the want for Val Holmes to move to fullback. I'd say he's up there as one of the best wingers in the comp with his strong running and finishing but I don't really see how that translates to modern fullback play where defence (positioning, bomb defusion, etc.) and ball playing seems to be a necessity

If you think he's one of the best wingers in the comp at 21 years of age then try to imagine what kind of fullback he could be when he's no longer a kid. He's got all the skills and ability.

Surely if Broncos offer ponga a decent enough salary and a certainty to play and start in first grade we got him

Surely if Broncos offer ponga a decent enough salary and a certainty to play and start in first grade we got him

I'd say that's what we'll do, but a club like the Dragons will offer him some ridiculous amount and he'll chase the money. Hopefully he's smart and will realise that big money brings big expectations, and the chance to be coached by Wayne Bennett is now or never.

He was on a scholarship at Brisbane from 13-15 years old- 2012 and 2013 and was offered a four year deal at the end of that period and wanted to go home to North Queensland and signed with the Cowboys for his last year at Churchie.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Skathen
  • ell.d33
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.