Kangaroos Origin Merit Team

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2017' started by Tom, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom NRL Captain

http://www.nrl.com/2017-kangaroos-origin-merit-team-named/tabid/10874/newsid/110013/default.aspx

Didn't think Dugan was anything special. But I suppose there wasn't really anybody else.

Tags:
  2. Sproj

Sproj

Yeah Dugan is there by default but Tedesco on the wing?

They should have just named the other wing spot as Qld #2 (a hybrid of Holmes and Oates - Oames)

Tom likes this.
  3. Sproj

Sproj

Oh and my personal favourite, Josh Jackson makes the team because all he needs to do these days is be in a team to win MOTM and be picked in best of sides.

4. Astro

Astro QCup Player

The Jackson and Frizell selections are head scratchers. Both very underwhelming in all 3 games.

Klemmer cordner and Trbojevic are the only 3 NSW forwards that should have been looked at.

Sproj likes this.
  5. Sproj

Sproj

Pretty funny that Fifita went from being the new Artie to left right out.

Astro likes this.
  6. Alec

Alec International Rep

Pretty good team, except for Dugan and Jackson. Though I guess Dugan is there because QLD had 3 different centres in 3 games. Same as Baloney, he wasn't particularly great, but we had 3 different 5/8ths.

Actually, yeah Tedesco is a weird one too. Has he ever played on the wing? Holmes scored 4 tries, I believe, including 3 pretty special ones.

7. BroncsFan

BroncsFan NRL Player

I like the concept although I wouldn't limit it to players who played 2 out of 3, as the list of eligible players could become very restrictive. Players like Munster and JT were very important to the games they played in.

Re Jackson and Frizzell I think Gavin Cooper deserved a spot over one of them. He probably played more minutes than both of them, put up decent numbers in both games and his defence on the left was pretty important to the team overall. I thought Frizzell was particularly underwhelming given the hype they had on him coming into game 1

Selection of Teddy out of position is a bit BS. How was he considered the second best winger of the series when he didn't even play there. I don't think he has ever played there in his career so how do they even know he's a good winger???

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  8. JayPee

JayPee QCup Player

Josh Jackson is the biggest myth going around. Bloke is a fraud and somehow cons people into thinking he is above a regular first grader.

9. Big Del

Big Del QCup Player

Interesting front row ? Napa and Klemmer . As much as I love to hate Klemmer he is looking to be a real good player long term .
    No Hayne plane ? lol . His jumping on the fence in Origin 1 should be replayed to every child at school as an example of delusion .

10. Broncs_Fan

Broncs_Fan NRL Player

This merit team is utterly pointless. Mal trying to keep busy as Roos coach.

broncospwn likes this.
  11. This is meant to be a side picked based on the best in Origin and Munster doesn't make the side...

And Tedesco over Holmes..

Good one Mal. Did he watch it this year?

12. Tedesco hasn't played on the wing since Round 6, 2013.

Even when he did, it was only for 3 games.

13. Big Del

Big Del QCup Player

Gotta play at least 2 games to qualify .
    Heard Mal on the ABC earlier . Acknowledgement to the SOO . No rep teams picked till October To give some hype with World Cup 100 days away .

14. Munster didn't meet the criteria.

Tedesco's selection is controversial, but it seemed like the stipulation was made purely so he could have Slater and Tedesco in the same side.

Tedesco was better in Game I & II than Holmes was in Game II & III.

They also made a very specific point about character, which is why Fifita isn't there.

15. What kind of bullshit criteria is that?

Munster came into the side in a decider on the biggest stage of all in an understrength QLD side and absolutely killed it. Played better in that one game than what Maloney did in the whole series.

16. To win a series, you've got to win 2 of 3 games.

It seems like a silly team put together merely for publicity, but it will be interesting to see how many players make it into the World Cup squad.

If all 17 players make it there, this could have positive ramifications.

17. I can't disagree too much, except for Tedesco and Jackson. Would have Holmes and Cooper in their place.

Although I'd have any of Qld's 5/8's ahead of Baloney individually, each only played 1 game, so I can live with him there... but Munster/Milf should take the actual spot in the WC team imo.

18. Broncs_Fan

Broncs_Fan NRL Player

Lol that is so ridiculous. Mal's merit team is the dumbest thing I have heard of.