NEWS Karmichael to the rescue

For young Broncos like Jesse Arthars, the opportunity to play outside returning multicode marvel Karmichael Hunt isn't just another day at the office, it's a childhood dream come true:

“Personally, playing outside him, it’s going to be massive for me. K was massive for this club back in the day and I’m sure he’s really looking forward to it. For myself and all the boys in the team, everyone’s looking forward to him playing. Growing up, I watched a lot of K. He was one of those players I idolised as an outside back so to put on the jumper with him this week is going to be massive.”

And it's not something Karmichael Hunt is taking it lightly either:

“To hear that makes you feel like you’ve got a huge responsibility playing alongside these guys. For me to run out there at the age I am and the stage they are in their career, it’s a huge privilege. It’s something I’ve cherished the opportunity to come back and give my knowledge to these guys.”

“It’s been a long time since I pulled on this jersey. To be told by Kevvie over the weekend that I might be playing again, I was definitely excited. I tried to manifest it in my imagination earlier in the year, but I wasn’t so sure it would actually happen with the stage I was at in my career and been out of the game for so long."

“There’s definitely a light at the end of the tunnel. This is a super talented group. Obviously it’s an inexperienced group and there’s no secret about that but everyone turns up here every day wanting to get better. The boys are putting the effort in and in due time the rewards are going to come, I have every bit of confidence in that.”

“2004 was a nervous time but an exciting time for me. I remember coming into the shed as a 17-year-old with the likes of Locky, Webby, Petero, Gorden Tallis, who was captain then. I had looked up to all of them having grown up in Brisbane and watching them all play. I don’t actually remember too much of my first game, but it was a memorable year. For a kid to be in that shed with Wayne Bennett as a coach, it was definitely a nerve-racking experience but one that set me up for my career.”

“As a fan, the overpolicing of the head high tackles in the first couple of rounds was probably hard to watch, but I understand why the NRL did it. They set up RBTs on Easter Weekend just to make sure people don’t drink and drive and it’s the same as the head contact ruling. They came out hard because they wanted everyone to take note. I haven’t watched every game but there’s been less sin bins and less high shots in recent weeks, so they’ve had the impact they wanted to have. The players are safer for it.

“I’m happy the rule is brought in because I have a son who might play footy one day and we only get one brain and one head so the more we look after it, the better.”

"It’s probably a social discussion now which is more prevalent, I probably understand my mental space a lot more. As I said, I was 17-years-old in a shed with grown men and there was no time to lick your wounds. It helped me in good stead for many parts of my career, but when it came to my personal choices and how I was feeling, it probably worked against me."

“The journey from going away from league and all of my off-field issues, I’ve got a greater appreciation for mental health and looking after my mental health. I’m a bit more understanding of it and I’m a bit more resilient because I know life has its ups and downs naturally. We’re all human. We all feel things."

“The understanding for me now is that it’s OK to ride the wave of emotions and be open about the way you’re feeling. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

“There’s always pressure when you put on a Broncos jersey and I’ve been in pressure situations before, but internally I’m just looking forward to helping contribute to the club that gave me a start as a 17-year-old.”

McHunt

Still can’t believe the club is in a position where we are 4 from 31 and have used 6 halves in 13 games - culminating in recalling a 34 year old Karmichael who has barely kept up in reserve grade.

if someone mentioned letting Hunt back into the club a few years ago you’d be boo-urns’d off of the forum. Now we are calling for it.

What a plummet.

What happens if by some miracle he is good?

Still can’t believe the club is in a position where we are 4 from 31 and have used 6 halves in 13 games - culminating in recalling a 34 year old Karmichael who has barely kept up in reserve grade.

if someone mentioned letting Hunt back into the club a few years ago you’d be boo-urns’d off of the forum. Now we are calling for it.

What a plummet.

Are we calling for it? I think most people are pretty worried that he's going to crash and burn.

It's probably not going to help us much, but the nostalgic side of me is pretty damn keen to see how he goes.
Not sure how your nostalgia is going to help us at all…

Thank you, I’m here all day.

Nah surely it’s netballs turn to make a splash
Or basketball
I remember hearing he could have been a pretty successful basketballer back in the day. I also think of Karmichael every time I nearly put my fingers in the fan when I put a shirt on

I remember hearing he could have been a pretty successful basketballer back in the day. I also think of Karmichael every time I nearly put my fingers in the fan when I put a shirt on
Baseball unless he was gun at basketball too

Broncos fans always looking for the next ray of hope. Hunt is 34! He's been ordinary in the QRL!

The only ray of hope is for the entire board to be sacked and the front office of the NRL for undermining the club for over two years.

We met K at my son's training a few weeks back, he was really good with all the kids and gave my son in particular some really good advice that helped him play better. I don't know how he'll go but I hope Karmichael does well for his own sake as well as the team's.

We met K at my son's training a few weeks back, he was really good with all the kids and gave my son in particular some really good advice that helped him play better. I don't know how he'll go but I hope Karmichael does well for his own sake as well as the team's.

Was his advice about making sure you use up all your speed?

*I'll show myself out*

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.