VOTE Kev’s midseason mark

Rate Kev as a coach so far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Rate Kev’s coaching so far this season. 0 being the worst, 10 being perfect.

Interesting to see how this changes over time if we do it again at the end of the season.

3/10.

He gets credit for the Reynolds signing which was very astute, and making the most of the trash fire that Seibold left behind, but when it comes to how the team is playing, he has left a LOT to be desired. The severe lack of line speed in particular is a big concern. Also our front row is easily the best feature of the side yet they're utilized so poorly. The first three tackles coming out of our own end are always backline players, even straight off the kick off when the team is still "fresh". Our props are lucky to get their hands on the ball before the team is just about on halfway, if we make it that far at all.

You can blame our dire salary cap situation all you want, there is NO excuse for a playing group of any quality being so incapable of basic fundamentals of Rugby League. Newcastle, Wests and the Titans all have far worse squads overall than we do yet they are still doing better at the basics. The entire football department is just no good.

Where have you noticed the improvement?
This isn’t a loaded question, I’d like to hear your perspective.

There was no fight in them at all last season. This season we have beaten Sydney and Gold Coast, while being one of the only teams that came close to beating Penrith.

We have only been good on rare occasions, but last year we weren't good at all (after COVID). While it isn't an amazing improvement, it is an improvement.

Kevvy has had to come in and turn around this team with a losing attitude, missing our two best players to start the season and below par players at key positions. This rebuild is not going to happen overnight, but any improvement is good IMO.

Before the last 2 rounds I would of gave him a 5/10 now I would give him a 3/10 and it's close to a 2/10.

His changing of selections and use of the bench are alarming, we did have a shockingly bad draw though but we seem to be regressing, showing the same sort of terrible line speed we had last year that allowed massive holes in our line to be exposed and huge score lines.

I'm not expecting miracles but we have a good enough squad to not be on the spoon fight.

For me the only thing keeping Kev above Seibold is that he seems far more likeable. Seibold made endless poor decisions but he also seemed quite disliked. Kev, at least for now, seems liked by the players. though I’m not sure how long that will last if he keeps chopping and changing them seemingly without reason.

On performance alone Im not really impressed - especially team selections, which he proved terrible at during his reign for QLD too. I actually think Seibold made better line up choices when you consider the injury toll and lack of q cup he had to contend with.

2 for me and thats being generous. He should still be allowed to see out his contract in the hope that any improvement in our roster going in to next season gets us back into the 8.

We tend to look better when players return from being coached in the ISC. I couldn't detect coaching in the last two games. It's obviously not just Kevvie. All the coaching staff are failing. We can't defend. We can't attack. There is no leadership, no communication, no teamwork.

Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Not us. We just get punched in the mouth.

There's no doubt there's been improvement but I mean, what's the best we could have hoped for?

Keeping in mind that going from cellar dweller's to genuine contenders is a bit unrealistic, I would even say making the 8 is unrealistic, we could barely win a game last year

There's no doubt there's been improvement but I mean, what's the best we could have hoped for?

Keeping in mind that going from cellar dweller's to genuine contenders is a bit unrealistic, I would even say making the 8 is unrealistic, we could barely win a game last year
I'd be happy with a 12th place finish. If we get another wooden spoon, it's a 0/10 for Kev.

3 for underwhelming. He was brought in to improve our results but we’ve only seen glimpses. Some team selections have been contentious if not incompetent.

That said, I’m not writing him off yet. He has the second half of the season to turn around our predicament and he better do it fast because the grace period is wearing off. Minimum pass mark would be to move up several positions.

I know we went 3/17 last year but realistically it was 1/18 In vlandys ball only beating the dogs. We’re doing better but not by much

Voted 3/10

5/10, He still has some spuds that don't deserve to be in ISC let alone NRL, some players who don't have the heart to keep playing, and some guns who are our future. Let him get his preferred team on the field without R&R, or the board getting in the way.

3 for underwhelming. He was brought in to improve our results but we’ve only seen glimpses. Some team selections have been contentious if not incompetent.

That said, I’m not writing him off yet. He has the second half of the season to turn around our predicament and he better do it fast because the grace period is wearing off. Minimum pass mark would be to move up several positions.
I can’t see it being several positions. Maybe 2-3 tops.

Unread

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Old Mate
  • Culhwch
  • maddo
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • theshed
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.