VOTE Kev’s midseason mark

Rate Kev as a coach so far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went 4. If we go off what he did at Catalans, next year is when the honeymoon will be over. But he didn't have V'landys changing the way the game is played every 6 months then either.

He needs to think of something Bellamy and Robinson haven't thought of though. Even if it's blindly obvious, something like kicking field goals instead of kicking for touch to get the team a breather. Bonus is they would get a point or two, and get the ball back instead of a defensive set.

I went 4. If we go off what he did at Catalans, next year is when the honeymoon will be over. But he didn't have V'landys changing the way the game is played every 6 months then either.

He needs to think of something Bellamy and Robinson haven't thought of though. Even if it's blindly obvious, something like kicking field goals instead of kicking for touch to get the team a breather. Bonus is they would get a point or two, and get the ball back instead of a defensive set.

I would say, look at when to give away an intentional penalty to give your team a breather too. Like right after a 6 again, just give away a penalty.

Giving away some field position seems like a better option early in the game, then tiring yourselves out.

much higher score than i thought you'd give considering you want him sack at season's end
It would be lower if I expected anything more from him, I knew coming into it he wasn't a good coach.

He got bumped up because we have shown glimpses, mostly off the back off our better players, but still glimpses.

The worst thing with his decisions is the lack of logic behind a lot of it.

2. By my count he has managed to use 33 players in 14 rounds.

It really is a mystery why they haven’t been able to click...🙄

When is he going to start coaching?
FTR, 32 was the most used by any club for the entire season last year.

1 for each win, 1 each for dropping Milford and Isaako when needed (being generous there with Milford when it should’ve been a month earlier)

-1 for continuing to pick Glenn and Coates, -1 for dropping Gamble and Mead seemingly without reason. -1 for dogshit defence and messy bench usage. Seriously how hard is it to use a bench? You have 8 changes in 80 mins

Honestly, I am not marking based on results, I'm grading him based on the changes he is bringing and my perception of the team attitude. I honestly don't think Walters ever had any beliefs about being a top 8 upon his arrival, and I don't think he realised just how broken these guys are. I think he's using this year to assess the team individually and identify leadership and flaws.

Were it me, I would be wary of the factions within the playing group. For example, Glenn is very well respected, but I think he's starting to be seen by many as not providing when compared to Riki or Robati. You bring them in slowly (because you can't just oust the captain and a senior guy) and show the whole team that there is an issue (and you can't do that just because he is injured, that would look slack). Simultaneously, you show the team that a big paycheck does not me a guaranteed spot (Milf). You use this year to see who wants it and who has anything to offer. Obviously poaching happens, but **** that, let anyone who wants to go, go. Otherwise, buy in and work for it. If I were Kevvie behind the scenes I would be talking to each player individually and building a relationship this year. Getting them to buy in, getting them all to follow me and weeding out these cliques. I think that is happening, but it isn't an easy job. You bring in your own selected leader (Reynolds) and you tap the old guys on the shoulder.

Mead was doing well, but why not just use this time to see if Cobbo is going to be able to replace Coates. You can't not include an Origin rep, but you can give them rope to hang themselves.

I dunno, maybe I'm just hopeful, but honestly, there is a core building and weeding happening. It just takes time.

Honestly, I am not marking based on results, I'm grading him based on the changes he is bringing and my perception of the team attitude. I honestly don't think Walters ever had any beliefs about being a top 8 upon his arrival, and I don't think he realised just how broken these guys are. I think he's using this year to assess the team individually and identify leadership and flaws.

Were it me, I would be wary of the factions within the playing group. For example, Glenn is very well respected, but I think he's starting to be seen by many as not providing when compared to Riki or Robati. You bring them in slowly (because you can't just oust the captain and a senior guy) and show the whole team that there is an issue (and you can't do that just because he is injured, that would look slack). Simultaneously, you show the team that a big paycheck does not me a guaranteed spot (Milf). You use this year to see who wants it and who has anything to offer. Obviously poaching happens, but **** that, let anyone who wants to go, go. Otherwise, buy in and work for it. If I were Kevvie behind the scenes I would be talking to each player individually and building a relationship this year. Getting them to buy in, getting them all to follow me and weeding out these cliques. I think that is happening, but it isn't an easy job. You bring in your own selected leader (Reynolds) and you tap the old guys on the shoulder.

Mead was doing well, but why not just use this time to see if Cobbo is going to be able to replace Coates. You can't not include an Origin rep, but you can give them rope to hang themselves.

I dunno, maybe I'm just hopeful, but honestly, there is a core building and weeding happening. It just takes time.
Souths have not included an origin rep… What has origin got to do with the Broncs? Just because Paul Green thinks Coates is up to it, doesn’t mean Kevvie automatically has to.

Cobbo has shown more than enough to hold his spot. Coates has shown he wants out at the first opportunity. I’d be granting that opportunity.

Gave Kevvie a 3. His team selections are diabolical, his bench rotation awful, his choice of assistants and overall coaching strategy has not appeared to make any significant difference to last year and the way forward, seems every bit as difficult as it was at the end of 2020. Our defence is every bit as shit as it was last year.

I gave him 3 for the positives he has done:

1 point for dropping Milford.
1 point for signing Reynolds.
1 point for being a better bloke than Seibold.

That’s it. So far. Want to revisit at the end of the season.

I gave him 1 because he’s one of us. Only positive I could find and in reality the reason he got the job.

Souths have not included an origin rep… What has origin got to do with the Broncs? Just because Paul Green thinks Coates is up to it, doesn’t mean Kevvie automatically has to.

Cobbo has shown more than enough to hold his spot. Coates has shown he wants out at the first opportunity. I’d be granting that opportunity.

Gave Kevvie a 3. His team selections are diabolical, his bench rotation awful, his choice of assistants and overall coaching strategy has not appeared to make any significant difference to last year and the way forward, seems every bit as difficult as it was at the end of 2020. Our defence is every bit as shit as it was last year.

I gave him 3 for the positives he has done:

1 point for dropping Milford.
1 point for signing Reynolds.
1 point for being a better bloke than Seibold.

That’s it. So far. Want to revisit at the end of the season.
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the Broncos, not a team with a world-renowned, multiple-GF-winning coach coming off the back of a top 8 finish, capable of holding players to account.

Coates hasn't really done anything to deserve being dropped and there would be way too much bla-bla from the media if he were dropped, especially after being picked last week and pulling out merely due to injury. Success, such as an Origin call up, needs to be seen as a goal for our players. As if being called up by a panel of Origin selectors only to be then dropped by a n00b coach says "trust me, I know what I'm doing", regardless of the circumstances.

This team is mentally shot. Anyway you cut it, they need to come together under a coach they trust, and respect. I hope Kev is doing that, and I will assume that it in my own way, which I chose to share.

edit: sorry for any typos, btw, my phone is playing up lately and this website on mobile is not ideal.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the Broncos, not a team with a world-renowned, multiple-GF-winning coach coming off the back of a top 8 finish, capable of holding players to account.

Coates hasn't really done anything to deserve being dropped and there would be way too much bla-bla from the media if he were dropped, especially after being picked last week and pulling out merely due to injury. Success, such as an Origin call up, needs to be seen as a goal for our players. As if being called up by a panel of Origin selectors only to be then dropped by a n00b coach says "trust me, I know what I'm doing", regardless of the circumstances.

This team is mentally shot. Anyway you cut it, they need to come together under a coach they trust, and respect. I hope Kev is doing that, and I will assume that it in my own way, which I chose to share.

edit: sorry for any typos, btw, my phone is playing up lately and this website on mobile is not ideal.
I disagree about Coates, I was calling for him to be considered for dropping before he even signed for Storm. He has had some really poor performances. I also don’t think origin should impact our team list, especially when they lose by the greatest margin in their history.

I’d argue that Mead, an experienced head who has done nothing to deserve being dropped, has re-signed with us for next year, who quietly shows up and does his job whenever called upon being dropped for a flashy inconsistent 20 year old who has jumped ship sets a far worse example if anything.

I went 4/10. For context, Seibold put in what could only be described as a 1/10 season given it was historically about as bad as any side has played in the NRL era, so for Kevvie coming in after that it was always going to be a tough slog.

I was tempted to rate it 3/10 as we've obviously been quite poor, but I think there has been some incremental improvements in some of our performances and I think it needs to be weighted against the opening Draw which probably makes our results look worse than some of the sides around us who've had an easier time of it in the first half of the season.

If Kevvie can lift this bone headed roster out of the bottom 4 by seasons end I'll probably consider that a 6/10 year and a solid pass in my books, but I'd be expecting a better effort next year for sure.

I disagree about Coates, I was calling for him to be considered for dropping before he even signed for Storm. He has had some really poor performances. I also don’t think origin should impact our team list, especially when they lose by the greatest margin in their history.

I’d argue that Mead, an experienced head who has done nothing to deserve being dropped, has re-signed with us for next year, who quietly shows up and does his job whenever called upon being dropped for a flashy inconsistent 20 year old who has jumped ship sets a far worse example if anything.

As coach I'm not sure whether I'd pick Coates either. You might need to be training them to see their potential. At this point in the season, Walters has tried nearly everyone with Staggs, Piakura and maybe a couple of other combos and position shifts yet to come. The priority should be to win enough games to differentiate himself from the last atrocity. He needs to do that. The spoon again is not acceptable.

Coates is a prime example of a player who has not progressed under his watch. Just by his age and growing experience he should've improved the little complaints, like being out of position and spilling the odd high ball. The potential is there, more than any other winger in the competition (arguably, and certainly in the Storm's mind, who are good judges). He's big, quick and can leap like Cazaly, yet every complaint we had about him under Seibold's questionable tutelage has only galvanized under Walters. But he was a raw rookie then. That no longer stands.

Coates, himself, has openly rejected Walters coaching and turned to Bellamy to further his career. Next to undervaluing Walsh, that's Walter's biggest fail mark yet. Admittedly, the guy's judgement is no benchmark but it's one to put on the unfavourable side of the register.

Would I select Coates at this point in the season? I would if I thought he was the best chance of scoring tries and I thought I was making progress with his defence. But I would not drop him out of bitterness for leaving, nor would I drop him to learn in the ISC. I would want to milk the last drops out of him before he leaves. I would use him for what he's worth to me, not caring if it's good for his long term progression. Were he staying, my decision might be different.

As coach I'm not sure whether I'd pick Coates either. You might need to be training them to see their potential. At this point in the season, Walters has tried nearly everyone with Staggs, Piakura and maybe a couple of other combos and position shifts yet to come. The priority should be to win enough games to differentiate himself from the last atrocity. He needs to do that. The spoon again is not acceptable.

Coates is a prime example of a player who has not progressed under his watch. Just by his age and growing experience he should've improved the little complaints, like being out of position and spilling the odd high ball. The potential is there, more than any other winger in the competition (arguably, and certainly in the Storm's mind, who are good judges). He's big, quick and can leap like Cazaly, yet every complaint we had about him under Seibold's questionable tutelage has only galvanized under Walters. But he was a raw rookie then. That no longer stands.

Coates, himself, has openly rejected Walters coaching and turned to Bellamy to further his career. Next to undervaluing Walsh, that's Walter's biggest fail mark yet. Admittedly, the guy's judgement is no benchmark but it's one to put on the unfavourable side of the register.

Would I select Coates at this point in the season? I would if I thought he was the best chance of scoring tries and I thought I was making progress with his defence. But I would not drop him out of bitterness for leaving, nor would I drop him to learn in the ISC. I would want to milk the last drops out of him before he leaves. I would use him for what he's worth to me, not caring if it's good for his long term progression. Were he staying, my decision might be different.
To be entirely fair, is there any Coach in the game that an aspiring player would choose to play under over Bellamy? I'm sure some might say Bennett, but he's likely about to move away from Coaching, and a handful might well say Robinson, but outside those two I can't imagine any player not jumping at the chance to go and play under Bellamy.

If Bellamy and Melbourne want you, it MEANS something and there is no escaping that. It used to be that way when Bennett and the Broncos wanted you but I think there is no question now that the mantle has moved to the Storm and to be pursued by them must be incredibly difficult to turn down.

I voted 2/10 bit better than Seibs, bit more in attack but I think we are a worse team defensively and we have no game plan, set plays or structures. If I could see an kind of glimmer of hope things were getting better even if we were losing I'd rate him higher, but I just think he is out of his depth.

I voted 3, I saw positves early on but now the chopping and changing of players left right and centre seemingly without logic in some cases has really undone a lot of that early improvement.

Any continuity has been lost and I don't think the players really know where they stand with Kevvie anymore.

I voted 2/10 bit better than Seibs, bit more in attack but I think we are a worse team defensively and we have no game plan, set plays or structures. If I could see an kind of glimmer of hope things were getting better even if we were losing I'd rate him higher, but I just think he is out of his depth.
I feel like earlier in the year we had more set plays but since we’ve had to include gamble in the halves his limited play making ability has hampered that.

I’m hoping the chopping and changing is now over and Kevvie sticks with a group of players for the most part now and gives them clearly defined roles that result in improvements in structure, roles, accountability and competitiveness leading into ‘22.

If it stays as it currently is or ends the year worse, I’ll be very very very concerned, even more than now.

I gave him a 5
We have the same amount of wins as we did last year with a much tougher draw
He has signed Adam Reynolds which is a massive boost to us next year and locked down a few younger players (sure we lost Coates and Walsh which hurt)
A lot of people seem to forget we are finally starting to move a lot of over paid players on and as a result of this the squad we are running out every week is significantly under the cap. The next part is very crucial for Kev in who he signs for next year to help bolster the squad

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Midean
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
  • LittleDavey
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • mieko
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Bish
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.