OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

I'm also a fan of the approach we have taken; there has never been a coach that is given the first X weeks to turn the club around that has been successful. It only delays the inevitable after the season has gone to shit; we are better off causing drama at this point of the year than we are doing the same mid-season and burning another year.

Just confirms why the old boys should shut the **** up. They're in it for their mates not the broncos. Does he forget the best front rower ever at the club was from nsw or old boys Chris john's and terry materson was as well. Or does it only matter if you're replacing your buddy Kev with a coach from not Queensland even though he's the obvious best option. This is club footy.. not origin..I could give 2 ***** where any one is from..I just want the best available for the broncs to be the best again. So if by a miracle Bellamy wants to come back here is he ruled out because he's not a queenslander. Gtfo and grow up.
Agreed 100% brother. Hopefully the board and Dave ignore the old boys from now on. Enough of that garbage.

It's such a shitty argument talking about where people are from and acting like it should dictate anything for club football. The majority of our high profile players are from NSW ffs.

Pure trash arguments in an attempt to defend their mates.

Was just researching some coaches, fucking hell Madge's last 6 seasons of NRL are rough reading.

2016 - 9 wins, 15 losses (37.5% win rate)
2017 - 9 wins, 15 losses (37.5% win rate)
2019 - 11 wins, 13 losses (45.8% win rate)
2020 - 7 wins, 13 losses (35.0% win rate)
2021 - 8 wins, 16 losses (33.3% win rate)
2022 - 3 wins, 9 losses (25.0% win rate)

I'm also a fan of the approach we have taken; there has never been a coach that is given the first X weeks to turn the club around that has been successful. It only delays the inevitable after the season has gone to shit; we are better off causing drama at this point of the year than we are doing the same mid-season and burning another year.
But it also gives us more time for a replacement, and the replacement has more time to make changes going into their first season in charge.

If it’s Maguire it will be the other way round, some short term gain and then more massive long term pain.

Souths did bounce back quickly after they departed with Michael Maguire. I don't think its fair to suggest he left the club as a basket case when he left. But a new voice was needed to change things up after sustain period of success including winning a grand final under him. There were major problems before he took over with the Tigers which I've already outlined in a previous post. In fact if anything he inherited a mess with the Tigers after Ivan Cleary left.

I wonder what happens with Teo & Barrett now? Will they still start the preseason or the new coach brings in his preferred assistants?
It was reported in the Courier Mail there expected to be kept on with a new coach.

I may be reading into this too much but from what i could see in media coverage this morning, Kev seemed to thank an awful lot of people at the broncos, but he did not mention the players......

I do wonder what's the future for Kevin Walters as a coach. A grand final appearance is nothing to sneeze at. The first two seasons at the club he had to get the roster in order. Although it's viewed we should have made the finals in the second season. I know it was reported a couple years ago Titans were keen on Walters coaching them when they departed with Garth Brennan. Walters was considered hot property after his success coaching Queensland at that point.

Obviously he is damaged goods at the moment after the season we had. But because of other coaches that have been given a second chance he's not necessary in coaching no man's land forever either.

It was reported in the Courier Mail there expected to be kept on with a new coach.
Yes , I thought that was imteresting. How does he know the new coach will be keeping them on unless he ahs asked the new coach already. Seems odd he would speak for the incoming coach otherwise.

Was just researching some coaches, fucking hell Madge's last 6 seasons of NRL are rough reading.

Nah, it's good news for us, he's got all that losing out of his system.

Yes , I thought that was imteresting. How does he know the new coach will be keeping them on unless he ahs asked the new coach already. Seems odd he would speak for the incoming coach otherwise.
Go back and listen to DD again. There was a few answers he gave which to me suggested he’s already got the next coach on board. He’ll be announced within a fortnight I reckon. That’s long enough to show Kev a bit of respect.

I’m not putting much stock in the latter half of that list - covid year + 6 again introduction all at that basket case called Wests Tigers

Active Now

• RodF
  • BroncsNBundy
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Big Del
  • eggstar10
  • Waynesaurus
  • Swordfish
  • Maroon4life
  • jarro65
  • bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • RolledOates
  • Brotherdu
  • Reds2011
  • Nightwatchman
  • mitch222
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Fitzy
... and 37 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.