THE COACH Kevin Walters

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Most teams would struggle having their best two players out in a origin period where to be fair our lot haven't had any rest in that time.

Still not panic stations but I wouldn't expect a season like last year, we just haven't had the injury luck like we did then.

and yes our recruitment hasn't been the best compared to our outs but we look worse atm then where we really are.

it's going to be tough till after the origin period at this stage.
How do the panthers look? Have a look who’s been out, nothings changed for them. Kev can’t coach, he’s an off the cuff brilliant player…not a coach.

The players play like they know it too.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
How do the panthers look? Have a look who’s been out, nothings changed for them. Kev can’t coach, he’s an off the cuff brilliant player…not a coach.

Panthers as a whole have been above us even last year they have had us beat on depth and to compare us to them just on last year is delulu.

We were in the game at the GF based on individual efforts, Panthers had our number as a team.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This is a very immature team we have right now. Depth is poor and confidence has taken a beating. Kevvie has his work cut out for him that’s for sure. Not sure what the answer is but not many options with what we’ve got in our 30 man squad. Maybe we’ve just gotta cop our medicine and make sure we’re right for the future seasons.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

Look at Melbourne's depth. For years, they've been fine to lose a couple of cogs. Surely he took some hints from their system.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Panthers as a whole have been above us even last year they have had us beat on depth and to compare us to them just on last year is delulu.

We were in the game at the GF based on individual efforts, Panthers had our number as a team.
Yes and No. Cleary took the GF by the neck.....and won it for the Panthers.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think Kevvie can coach players, but i'm not convinced he can coach structure.

I think our basic system is the problem. We dont have a strong one. Our foundations arent strong despite us having some very high level players. We need to start doing the little things and the one percenters and build off that. Right now, we want to score off every play. TBF, we were frantic last year and it was spectacular and it came off. This year, its not working.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Our systems seem to work ok last year. Everything has fallen apart this year. Not enough players are working hard and are improving. It’s not a good look for the club who talked a lot of late but isn’t backing it up.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I think the players need to stand up here. It’s the ridiculous amount of dropped ball that’s killing us.

Individual errors. Once that game starts, not a lot Kev can do.

Agree.....he can't run out there and play for them.
He's missing half his spine, including his onfield game manager.

and Ezra just doesn't seem to be cutting it without someone there holding his hand. He tried hard last night but it was all individual effort. No game management whatsover.

I'll agree with KW somewhat last night that, when we held the ball we did some good things. We were making some easy metres. Dropped balls killed us. Anytime we gained some kinda momentum......we fucked it.

The greatest coach in the world isn't going to get you across the line
if you simply can't hang onto the ball.

Even tougher few weeks ahead of us......

He's going to have to keep playing Sailor. I think he has to stick with Madden for now.
Lots of fringe players in the run on side. Playing a mistake free game for them, is at the top of their ceiling.
Its unrealistic to expect it every game.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It's easy to look good when everything is going your way.

The real test is how you handle adversity and so far his track record isn't that good. We'll see if he can turn it around.
I started this thread but come on fellas. Imagine saying Kev has a bad track record with adversity. The guy came into the biggest shit show potentially in league history, under the most scrutiny of any coach, and made a GF in 2 seasons.

Let’s be fair

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Our systems seem to work ok last year. Everything has fallen apart this year. Not enough players are working hard and are improving. It’s not a good look for the club who talked a lot of late but isn’t backing it up.
At the minute....we are having to rely on fringe players stepping up. They don't seem to be able to do it on even a semi consistent level.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think Kevvie can coach players, but i'm not convinced he can coach structure.

I think our basic system is the problem. We dont have a strong one. Our foundations arent strong despite us having some very high level players. We need to start doing the little things and the one percenters and build off that. Right now, we want to score off every play. TBF, we were frantic last year and it was spectacular and it came off. This year, it’s not working.
I agree with this, what I think we’ve also done is gone away from what was working.

Seibold tanked the team because he pushed out all the experienced mid range players and spent the money on the flashy young guys who lack education and fundamentals. Kev pushed out TPJs and the Lodges and brought in Jensen. When there were injuries he’d bring in guys like Arthurs, Periera, Hoeter.

I obviously don’t know all the ins and outs, but Capewell being allowed to leave without much resistance was a cultural statement

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
At the minute....we are having to rely on fringe players stepping up. They don't seem to be able to do it on even a semi consistent level.
Our depth is pretty ordinary and we’re still a young side. Piakura has been poor and injured. It’s a season where everything that could go wrong has really.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

They got beaten by Flanno`s Dragons not that long ago .
Ivan can`t coach . LOL .

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I obviously don’t know all the ins and outs, but Capewell being allowed to leave without much resistance was a cultural statement
It's not that deep.

Brisbane were prepared to offer an extension, but didn't view him as the long term option. The Warriors came in with the longer deal and were offering it right away - the club chose to do right by the player and take the deal.

The issue was not having a suitable replacement lined up. Hosking would have solved that, but Canberra once again blew Brisbane out of the water.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Justwin
  • Aldo
  • Rough and Ready
  • Wolfie
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Swordfish
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Seibs
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.