THE COACH Kevin Walters

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The issue is they develop a lot of marquee talent.

Just about every player you've named is a rep. player who eat up a huge chunk of the salary cap.

For a development club, they don't develop enough solid first graders to help balance the cap so they're either getting fleeced by managers to pay top dollar or they're letting those players walk out the door.

If you look at Penrith, they lose a lot of marquee players but they can easily plug and play somebody else. The Broncos don't have that luxury and they're relying too heavily on their affiliates to bail them out.
Very interesting concept. How do you develop talent and predict it will be mediocre enough to not demand a competitive contract?

A lot of broncos players are actually just solid first graders but get hyped so much that Tesi Niu is seen as the next Lockyer. Jarred Wallace’s want a pay bump, Fleglers become marque signings. Staggs get 800k a year offers.

Who are some of examples at other clubs to help me understand? Mark Nichols?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Very interesting concept. How do you develop talent and predict it will be mediocre to not demand a competitive contract?

A lot of broncos players are actually just solid first graders but get hyped so much that Tesi Niu is seen as the next Lockyer. Jarred Wallace’s want a pay bump, Fleglers become marque signings. Staggs get 800k a year offers.

Who are some of examples at other clubs to help me understand? Mark Nichols?
You don't, you develop a squad of players from U/17s - U/21s so when one player goes it isn't the end of the world.

Liam Henry was the example I used. The Panthers have lost Spencer Leniu, J'maine Hopgood, Hohepa Puru, Eddie Blacker, Ativalu Lisati, Ryley Smith, Mason Teague etc. etc. and it's not the end of the world for their forward pack because they had somebody else to call on.

Crichton gets offered captaincy to leave, the Panthers roll on. Staggs gets offered 800,000K and Brisbane start justifying the price tag.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
You don't, you develop a squad of players from U/17s - U/21s so when one player goes it isn't the end of the world.

Liam Henry was the example I used. The Panthers have lost Spencer Leniu, J'maine Hopgood, Hohepa Puru, Eddie Blacker, Ativalu Lisati, Ryley Smith, Mason Teague etc. etc. and it's not the end of the world for their forward pack because they had somebody else to call on.

Crichton gets offered captaincy to leave, the Panthers roll on. Staggs gets offered 800,000K and Brisbane start justifying the price tag.
Would you say part of the challenge for us is the Q Cup system rather than a specific streamlined broncos pathway?

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Kevies press conference was not a great start - "It's not happening for us at the moment.. and yeah it's dissapointing but what do you do?"

My confidence in the team is leaving me faster than a space travelling flat earther.
lol what exactly do you want him to say?

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Its an issue i've always had, we dont sign enough hard working, low maintenance players, and i think we panic and sign young guys who have proved nothing on big contracts because we are scared of losing them. Our squad balance is wrong.
Yea kind of like jensen, smoothy, arthars etc. Nobody can seem to answer me whe
i say, what players that were available last season should we have signed?

I mean, we could have let haas go and keep flelger and maybe palasia? That's a $300k player and an $800k player which makes up Paynes salary. Or maybe we could have let payne and flegler go and kept herbie, capewell and palasia?

Either way i don't think it stops Cobbo dropping 4 balls last night.. the biggest issue i see out there is with our handling and our halves. Many handling.

We have the cattle to do it. They just need to catch the ball

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Its an issue i've always had, we dont sign enough hard working, low maintenance players, and i think we panic and sign young guys who have proved nothing on big contracts because we are scared of losing them. Our squad balance is wrong.

It’s very top heavy and it’s only going to get worse once the Walsh contract is locked in.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Yea kind of like jensen, smoothy, arthars etc. Nobody can seem to answer me whe
i say, what players that were available last season should we have signed?

I mean, we could have let haas go and keep flelger and maybe palasia? That's a $300k player and an $800k player which makes up Paynes salary. Or maybe we could have let payne and flegler go and kept herbie, capewell and palasia?

Either way i don't think it stops Cobbo dropping 4 balls last night.. the biggest issue i see out there is with our handling and our halves. Many handling.

We have the cattle to do it. They just need to catch the ball

Are you talking about players we could have signed for 2024? Thing is though, we dont have to limit ourselves to off contract players. There are always deals to be done both here and from Superleague.

I do think letting Payne walk and investing in his salary would be a smart idea even if it means us losing a top level prop.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Are you talking about players we could have signed for 2024? Thing is though, we dont have to limit ourselves to off contract players. There are always deals to be done both here and from Superleague.

I do think letting Payne walk and investing in his salary would be a smart idea even if it means us losing a top level prop.
OK so who do you buy and who do you let go? I guarantee it won't stop the likes of cobbo dropping the ball 4 times last night

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
OK so who do you buy and who do you let go? I guarantee it won't stop the likes of cobbo dropping the ball 4 times last night

You are too fixated on what went wrong last night. It was an extremely bad night at the office, but there is more to our recent poor form than just players dropping the ball.

I'm sure if i thought about it i could rattle off names of players who we could go and get and who we could let go but until you make the deals you dont know if they are realistic. Our problem is currently any room we have in the cap is earmarked for the Reece Walsh upgrade. Add to that in 2025 we have Willison, Cobbo, Hetherington, Staggs, Smoothy and Jensen, as well as youngsters like Leota and Mozer off contract, as well as possibly replacing Reynolds, our management have a lot of cap juggling to work out.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
You are too fixated on what went wrong last night. It was an extremely bad night at the office, but there is more to our recent poor form than just players dropping the ball.

I'm sure if i thought about it i could rattle off names of players who we could go and get and who we could let go but until you make the deals you dont know if they are realistic. Our problem is currently any room we have in the cap is earmarked for the Reece Walsh upgrade. Add to that in 2025 we have Willison, Cobbo, Hetherington, Staggs, Smoothy and Jensen, as well as youngsters like Leota and Mozer off contract, as well as possibly replacing Reynolds, our management have a lot of cap juggling to work out.
It's very easy to throw out statements like "we have recruited poorly" and "our cap is out if balance". Why don't you substantiate it by saying who we should have signed that was off contract and who we should have let go.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
We would have the likes of
Marty,
Oates,
Pereria,
Hoeter &
Paix(?) all moved on so, 5 top 30 spots to be filled in.

We can also look at a possible scenario where the likes of
Baker,
Hunt &
Goski could well be shown the door by end of 25.

All in all, we will have 5 vacant spots at the start of 25 & 3 more towards the end of 25.

I’m sure R&R team are well aware of all this and working real hard in the background to bring in some hardworking workaholics.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jedhead
  • OzeMike
  • scobie
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • jd87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.