McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It all comes back to Wayne......
Bellyache is great but,
he doesn't walk in the same light as WB
I can only think of late great Jack Gibson
who could walk with WB in the same stature.
Lot of sour grapes in this thread.

Bennett hasn't won a premiership in 14 years. Bellamy has won 3 since then. Bellamy's record against Brisbane is embarrassingly bad for us.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Bennett hasn't won a premiership in 14 years. Bellamy has won 3 since then. Bellamy's record against Brisbane is embarrassingly bad for us.

Bellyache is coach first and friend second, while Bennett has always been the opposite, and it simply does not work as well as the former. If you want players that are ruthless and uncompromising, you need a coach that is ruthless and uncompromising.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

This is ridiculous.

If Locky doesn't get whacked by Beale we win that year in the early 10's...that's not on Bennett.
Bennett didn't let Thurston run around like a headless chook with 5 seconds on the clock in 2015, either.

Give Bennett the teams and stability that Craig's had over the past 14 years and vice versa and I daresay the stats would be reversed as well.

"Bennett holds the Australian rugby league coaching record for the most grand final wins, winning seven premierships from ten grand final appearances in the NRL and its predecessors the Super League and New South Wales Rugby League,[4] plus one premiership in the Brisbane Rugby League with Southern Suburbs in 1985."

No-one is saying Bellyache can't coach, of course he can. It's disingenuous to compare part of a coach's history to another's, they are at different stages. Your opinion is that Craig is a better coach, more power to you but not everyone will agree.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I think Mal has changed Origin coaching and it’s become its own niche. Bellamy has said he didn’t know how to coach origin and ran it like a club team with analytics and data. All accurate but not Origin coaching. Last night at the Blues jumper presentation again he told them forget information it’s all physical and effort.

Traditionally the origin coach was the best coach, Sheens, Gus, Gibson, Morris.

Mal moved the posts and made it the best suited to Origin coach.

Even Gibson only won 2/6 games and no one says he can’t coach.

I think the fact he can reflect and learn and I would bet improve means Bellamy is a good coach.
1910, I was not saying he is not a good coach, the OP I responded to said he was the best of all time, that was what I was disagreeing with. I think Bellamy is better than a good coach, he is a great coach. For the reasons I cited, I think Bennett is better.

I also agree Gibson was a fantastic coach, but the further you go back, the harder it is to compare eras because the game has changed so much. I would think Ken Kearney would have a fair claim as well, but the game during the 50's was radically different to the game today.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I think Mal has changed Origin coaching and it’s become its own niche. Bellamy has said he didn’t know how to coach origin and ran it like a club team with analytics and data. All accurate but not Origin coaching. Last night at the Blues jumper presentation again he told them forget information it’s all physical and effort.

Traditionally the origin coach was the best coach, Sheens, Gus, Gibson, Morris.

Mal moved the posts and made it the best suited to Origin coach.

Even Gibson only won 2/6 games and no one says he can’t coach.

I think the fact he can reflect and learn and I would bet improve means Bellamy is a good coach.
call me revisionist but I don't rate mal, I think he more lucked into having the golden spine than him being any kind of standard.

QLD would have won with basically any coach while we had the undisputed best spine for that entire period, we won with clear player ability in that period and it's hard to argue.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
1910, I was not saying he is not a good coach, the OP I responded to said he was the best of all time, that was what I was disagreeing with. I think Bellamy is better than a good coach, he is a great coach. For the reasons I cited, I think Bennett is better.

I also agree Gibson was a fantastic coach, but the further you go back, the harder it is to compare eras because the game has changed so much. I would think Ken Kearney would have a fair claim as well, but the game during the 50's was radically different to the game today.

I don't agree with the common held mantra that Bellamy failed at Origin and that diminsishes his coaching ability. Like I said Gibson won 2/6 as an Origin coach yet won five Grand Finals and is coach of the Century. No one ever reflects on his Origin coaching yet Bellamy gets it all the time.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
call me revisionist but I don't rate mal, I think he more lucked into having the golden spine than him being any kind of standard.

QLD would have won with basically any coach while we had the undisputed best spine for that entire period, we won with clear player ability in that period and it's hard to argue.

You should have spent time in camp in the eight in a row, he was brilliant.

Origin has had great spines, and no one came close to eight in a row.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
It's a pattern with you, when you finally realise you have lost an argument you'll say something off topic or completely disingenuous.

You mean like that time Selwyn copped an accidental hip from Patty? This was his vindication for claiming Selwyn wasn't ready for Origin.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
You mean like that time Selwyn copped an accidental hip from Patty? This was his vindication for claiming Selwyn wasn't ready for Origin.
Selwyn's brain fades and lapses in confidence (or whatever it is) are an ongoing issue. Suggest you listen to that podcast again to refresh your memory of where his head was at that year. Do we even know why he wasn't selected for Origin 2?

The kid has ample talent - generational even - but he's not someone we can bank on, even now. I don't have the answer, but if you don't have concern, you're a bit lacking in empathy.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Do we even know why he wasn't selected for Origin 2?

From Lockyer
Cobbo has privately been battling an injury and playing with painkilling injections.
“The decision in the end was pretty easy for Bill,” Lockyer said.
“I congratulate Selwyn for being open and honest about it.
“He is carrying a few niggles at the moment and it’s affecting him mentally.
“He was pretty open and honest with Bill about whether he was capable of performing in that arena. There is nowhere to hide in Origin.
“I think he is young, and I think his time (in the Origin arena), it’s not like it’s over.
“He will be back in the Maroons jersey at some point, but now is not the right time to push him physically and mentally given that we are one-up in the series. That’s a luxury Bill has got.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Yes, I've read the press releases. It's the "mental" part that concerns me. I'm not trying to make anything up outside the lines, but we've been here before.

Yes we have.......
what can I say? Its a card regularly in use in this day and age.

Selwyn seems prone to mental fatigue. I guess that he's addressing his issues now, should put him in good stead as he matures and hardens.
Couple more seasons and he might be much better equipped to handle the rigours of earning ~$1M / year.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Selwyn's brain fades and lapses in confidence (or whatever it is) are an ongoing issue. Suggest you listen to that podcast again to refresh your memory of where his head was at that year. Do we even know why he wasn't selected for Origin 2?

The kid has ample talent - generational even - but he's not someone we can bank on, even now. I don't have the answer, but if you don't have concern, you're a bit lacking in empathy.

You'll have to slip down to the local newsagent and get the scoop from Badel to find out why.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Bellamy with this NSW squad would be down right scary. I think they'd be looking at threepeats.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • Lostboy
  • KickHaas
  • lynx000
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncos4life
  • Swordfish
  • Xzei
  • peter09
  • Shane Tronc
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncs30
  • Justwin
  • Dash
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.