NEWS Kevvie: Lodge was our best

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Matt Lodge has spent the summer recovering from two knee injuries and getting into shape to face the six-again rule that punishes hulking 118kg frames like his. He has spurned the Warriors to remain at the Broncos, where he is contracted until the end of 2022 with a further two-year option in his favour.

Matt said:

"There‘s been a lot of talk but I want to stay here. Kevvie has come in as coach and he didn’t know too much about what went on with me last year. As coach, I guess he has every right to want to move me, but we seem to have sorted things out and I‘m happy. Kevvie wants me here now and I‘m happy here playing with my mates, so I will put in every day that I am here.”

R0 0 800 600 w1200 h678 fmax

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

“There wasn’t much said between us. Kevvie left me alone, but there is mutual respect between us and he knows I know how to play the game. The biggest issue for me is getting my body right and condition again and get some minutes back in. My knees are feeling a lot better now. I have put in a good pre-season, I’ve really put the work in so I feel good with my body. I am trying to rebuild my game by going back to basics."

“Last year I was really disappointed, I probably shouldn’t have kept playing with my knee injuries but I have moved on and decided to focus on basic stuff this year. I’m not going to set myself any big goals. After last year, I just want to stay fit and learn to play the way Kevvie wants me to. I need to build the fundamentals of a front-rower‘s game and see how I go from there.”

Walters is happy to honour Lodge’s contract:

“Matt is staying here. He has a Broncos contract and that‘s what is happening. He was our best player in the trial (against Wynnum) so he‘s had a good start. He was injured for a lot of last year and he copped a lot of criticism, but the trial was just the start of what should be a great season from him. He showed his class against the Wynnum side, he’s a genuinely good NRL player. I just want to see Matt be consistent this year. I want him to cart the ball forward strongly, he has a nice pass in him and defensively he has some presence, so there‘s no issues for me.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I cringe everytime i see a last minute offload.....I hope Kev cleans that part of his game up.

Last minute offload is ok, as long as there's support. Hopefully Isaako or Herbie are always sniffing around our forwards this year.

I'm glad he's staying, he'll have a cracker year and probably move on after this season for some good coin, which is fine too. He has the potential to be a Dally M prop imo.

Last minute offload is ok, as long as there's support. Hopefully Isaako or Herbie are always sniffing around our forwards this year.

I'm glad he's staying, he'll have a cracker year and probably move on after this season for some good coin, which is fine too. He has the potential to be a Dally M prop imo.
Good coin?? He’s on 800k for the next 3 years.

So $600 - $650k would be about right
I'm guessing that's maximum... and my guesses have more evidence (zero) then a rugby league "journalist" uses...

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • MrMoore
  • Fozz
  • Lurker
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manifesto
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • thenry
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.