Knee reconstructions

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Just had a look at the Injury Update site, and there's apparently 12 players out with ruptured ACLs requiring a knee reconstruction.

I wonder how that number compares with previous years?

Melbourne Storm have the most with 3 players out with ACL ruptures.

I once read that such knee problems more often than not result from training which is based simply on running up sand hills which, in fact, does very little for one's knee, and that a much better way of strengthening knees is balance work on those large "physio" balls.

What do you reckon?

Poor Nick I think he had 2 per knee. 4 in total.

Isn't Coxy the best qualified to answer this question?

don't the Raiders have a lot of people out with knee injuries as well?

Withers, Zillman and Phil Graham all out with ACL injuries.

Not many injuries worse. Ive never experienced it and hopefully never will!

rnabokov said:

Why? Because I'm injury prone? [icon_lol1.

Coxy said:
rnabokov said:

Why? Because I'm injury prone? [icon_lol1.

Actually, it was because I thought you knew all about, ah, "physio balls" ... :P

I've done minor knee injuries and associated rehab, but never had an ACL rupture and recon *touch wood*

So isn't 1 question what sort of training, strengthening and conditioning NRL clubs use to focus on reducing knee injuries?

My limited research shows 2 things:

1. Hamstrings muscles resist the forces that strain the ACL, while the quadriceps muscle has the opposite effect. Hamstrings-to-quads ratio should be about 65% in the trained knee. Ratios below 60% predispose the ACL to injury.

2. Proprioceptive (joint balancing) work, like on those SwissBalls also seems important.

I wonder what knee injury prevention training the Broncos use?

A physio mate of mine was telling me that the clubs with excessive amounts of ACL injuries (the ones you do when no-one is around you and your knee just goes) do to heavy weights training and don't focus enough on the supporting muscles around the knee.

bfoord said:
A physio mate of mine was telling me that the clubs with excessive amounts of ACL injuries (the ones you do when no-one is around you and your knee just goes) do to heavy weights training and don't focus enough on the supporting muscles around the knee.

From what I've read, and what you post, and judging by the enormous quads muscles so many players have, I do wonder about the amount of work that goes into hamstring development.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but damaged hamstring muscles seem a fairly common injury too, whereas you don't hear too much about quadriceps injuries?

Quads are harder to tear generally. Hamstrings go much easier. Doesn't mean they're weaker.

Usually with muscle tears, tightness is the bigger issue, and keeping flexibility in muscles is harder as you develop more bulk.

I'd say most players have very strong hamstrings as well as quads, but it's the ratio/balance that matters more.
And even then, no guarantee you won't snap your ACL.

Problem is, most bodies have the 'suspension' they require for the normal range of activities. When 20-40 kilos of extra/surplus muscle is added the knee and associated 'suspension is duly overloaded. It is not unlike a car(box) trailer...when required to carry an overload it generally does the job but if used commercially for that purpose it will quickly breakdown.

Strengthening the muscles around the knee ( balance/ball work ) is by far the best preventitive measure and should be in place before undertaking muscle mass gain. No matter how much work is done though, knee injuries will always be top of the pops for the players.

Although I've had a knee injury i was plain unlucky...My knees generally, well they've worked hard even with a few surgeries to one of them. I've been 100 kilo plus for the last 30 years and they've stood up to moderate,reasonable use pretty well.

Running over sustained periods is only practiced in nature by the lithe not by heavily muscled thickset beasts. The knees can sustain long use but not heavy overload, runners are always lightly muscled. Considering the injuries received in the modern game, most players will have a career and still have usable knees after. I reckon the old knee joint is pretty tough.

COMPOUND FRACTURE said:
Although I've had a knee injury i was plain unlucky...My knees generally, well they've worked hard even with a few surgeries to one of them. I've been 100 kilo plus for the last 30 years and they've stood up to moderate,reasonable use pretty well.

Running over sustained periods is only practiced in nature by the lithe not by heavily muscled thickset beasts. The knees can sustain long use but not heavy overload, runners are always lightly muscled. Considering the injuries received in the modern game, most players will have a career and still have usable knees after. I reckon the old knee joint is pretty tough.

You make a good point. Yet it is also not just running, it's coming to sudden stops, side-steps, jumps, twisting...

And League is indeed not knee-friendly when much of the game involves "heavily muscled thickset beasts" doing their level best to smash each other, the worst scenario for the knee being when someone is twisted and bent back in a tackle.

rnabokov said:
I once read that such knee problems more often than not result from training which is based simply on running up sand hills which, in fact, does very little for one's knee, and that a much better way of strengthening knees is balance work on those large "physio" balls.

What do you reckon?

i agree, my oldman was a Boxer back in the day, fit as ever, now hes had both knees reconstructed and thats what the doc told him, all that hard training in his younger days slapped him in the legs now...well that and too much booze... hehe

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • FACTHUNT
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.