Kodi Nikorima Joins the Warriors

Anyone know how much is Kodi on?
Surely we wouldn’t let him go now as it will only weaken our squad and impact our chances in 2019.
There is absolutely no upside for us apart from this creating an opportunity to blood Dearden. Even so we can do this with Knik in reserve grade and we still keep our depth for injuries / form / suspension.
Surely the club aren’t considering this...
The benefit of releasing him is he is also signed for next year. If we don't Intend to use him next year, getting him off the books would free up space for next year. There's a chance the warriors are happy to take him now if they can get him now, but if they need to wait until next year they might not be interested, leaving us stuck paying his contract.

Although, I agree. Seems a bit silly, I'd keep him and make him a bench utility / challenge him to push Macca out. But yeah, that's the benefit.

Anyone know how much is Kodi on?
Surely we wouldn’t let him go now as it will only weaken our squad and impact our chances in 2019.
There is absolutely no upside for us apart from this creating an opportunity to blood Dearden. Even so we can do this with Knik in reserve grade and we still keep our depth for injuries / form / suspension.
Surely the club aren’t considering this...

The upside would be that if released early a $100k or so would be free to front load a contract this season. Which could be the difference in re-signing Oates for example.

Regardless of whether it’s the right thing long term or not, I will always like Kodi. He’s been a great clubman.

Let the games begin.. knik is managed by the guy who has 19 players at the club. Be interesting to see how this plays out and who is really running the joint and calling the shots.

Upload 2019 4 29 6 40 52

Those that are pushing for the change may well get their wish.

Last edited:
Let the games begin.. knik is managed by the guy who has 19 players at the club. Be interesting to see how this plays out and who is really running the joint and calling the shots.
Mmmm 19? Vast exaggeration methinks. Probably 10-11 but still, that's a lot too.

If they decide to release him and go with Dearden it says to me the club sees our premiership window as 2021, 2022.

We will be looking for a 9 and 1 .
There is plenty of fat in our cap with Bird, Boyd Macca and Glenn to buy the positions we need.
Securing our young pack has to come first though.
Plenty of churn still to come in the bext 18 months.

If they decide to release him and go with Dearden it says to me the club sees our premiership window as 2021, 2022.

We will be looking for a 9 and 1 .
There is plenty of fat in our cap with Bird, Boyd Macca and Glenn to buy the positions we need.
Securing our young pack has to come first though.
Plenty of churn still to come in the bext 18 months.
I think they'll simply turn Milford into a halfback and find a 5/8. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bird go there but either Stagg or Isaako could ask to have a go! I'm not saying either could do it but I'm an optimist and think we may yet stumble into a combination that sticks.

How about that headline but, "Poaching raid."
Kodi is under contract, the Broncos would have to release him early..it is hardly a poaching raid.
Most probably being pushed from the Broncos end, so that we can secure the likes of TPJ, Oates, Fifita & Lodge (long term etc..)

As it sits, I am sure the club is well aware Kodi is not the controlling half we need, they feel Dearden is the future - who they don't want to loose.
Probably the best outcome for all parties (both clubs and Kodi.)
I would love to have seen him be in the 17 as a super sub/hooker and I am sure they would have discussed with him however, if he is that set on playing 7, I am sure Brisbane won't stop him from seeking that elsewhere.

I do however hope we don't pay a cent of his contract. We will need all available funds to secure the up and comers.

The Warriors have dropped an NRL "bombshell" by making an immediate bid to sign Bronco Kodi Nikorima to solve their halves crisis, according to a media report.
The Brisbane Courier-Mail says the Warriors will table on offer for the 25-year-old, who has played 13 tests for the Kiwis, within the next 48 hours.
The claim was countered by one from 7News who stated the Broncos had not heard from the Warriors about Nikorima since the off season.
The Warriors are certainly facing major challenges in the halves.
The loss of Shaun Johnson to Cronulla and an injury to Blake Green left them fielding forward Tohu Harris in the halves alongside rookie Chanel Harris-Tavita in their latest NRL game. They have also used centre/fullback Peta Hiku in the halves.
The Warriors also lost 2018 regular Mason Lino to Newcastle while off season recruit Adam Keighran has struggled to impress despite a promising opening performance against the Bulldogs.
The Courier Mail said the Broncos were considering an immediate release for the livewire Nikorima, who may play his final game for them against South Sydney on Thursday night. It was described as "bombshell development".
The newspaper said: "Nikorima has been made aware of the Warriors' poaching bid and would be devastated at the thought of leaving a Broncos club that has groomed him for the NRL since his teen years in Brisbane's under-20s ranks.
"Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is developing young halfbacks Sean O'Sullivan, Tom Dearden, Cory Paix and Tanah Boyd, raising the possibility Brisbane could send Nikorima back to the bench as a No.14 super-sub next season."
Nikorima has a Brisbane contract until the end of next year, but will be tempted by a big three year deal from the Warriors.
He has struggled to form a good combination with Anthony Milford at Brisbane, who have started the season poorly although they crushed an under-strength Cronulla in the last round.
Brisbane fans were split on the potential Nikorima departure.
One called him a "dud" and another said he lacked organisational skills.
But he had plenty of support.
"Fine player, humble and quiet though which some lounge chair commentators find frustrating. If you understand the game though you would see how truly good a player Kodi is," said one.
"Will kind of miss Nikorima if he leaves the Broncos as he seems a good man and he can do special things onfield," said another.
The 7News report said: "If anything does happen...it's a while away."

Source: NZ Herald

Harry Grant has unbelievable potential. Has been a standout for the Falcons. Would be perfect 14 if Staggs gets Roberts position, however, the Bronocs May be looking at Paix.

I actually think Kodi needs to stay...but not in the 7 but at 9. If I were AS, I would tell Kodi to study EVERYTHING that Cook does at Souths and emulate. Think about the potency for a minute of having a half with some game management skills ( hopefully one of the young bucks can tick that box) Milford with some more freedom at 6 and a speedy 9 that can get some go forward in attack.

Yes, I know he won't be the tackling monster that Andrew is but I think that would lead to a way better offensive side. Now, if we can only move our slow moving dumbass captain out of the number one jersey.

I actually think Kodi needs to stay...but not in the 7 but at 9. If I were AS, I would tell Kodi to study EVERYTHING that Cook does at Souths and emulate. Think about the potency for a minute of having a half with some game management skills ( hopefully one of the young bucks can tick that box) Milford with some more freedom at 6 and a speedy 9 that can get some go forward in attack.

Yes, I know he won't be the tackling monster that Andrew is but I think that would lead to a way better offensive side. Now, if we can only move our slow moving dumbass captain out of the number one jersey.
There's no way Kodi defends in the middle for anything longer than 15 minutes a game. He's not a 9 either

Last edited:
Noticed Dearden didnt play for Wynnum this Sunday / weekend just gone.

Might be playing this Thursday instead.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/29...orima-if-he-exercises-player-contract-option/

The Warriors have targeted Brisbane halfback Kodi Nikorima as a long-term playmaker and would be willing to accommodate the Kiwis halfback immediately if gains an early release.
Despite most believing that Nikorima is signed to the Broncos for 2020, he has an option in his favour for the final year of his contract and is effectively a free agent at the end of the season.
The New Zealand international had a similar clause in his previous contract with the Broncos and extended the deal for 2018 and 2019, with an option for 2020.
Nikorima was first linked to the Warriors after the club released his New Zealand halves partner Shaun Johnson to Cronulla last December but Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold told him he was part of the club’s plans for 2019.
However, the Warriors are again interested in Nikorima and are expected to table an offer that could result in the 24-year-old returning home to New Zealand within weeks.
Both the Broncos and Warriors are yet to make an official statement regarding Nikorima and it is understood the Broncos are yet to receive a formal offer.
Under NRL rules, the Warriors cannot approach Nikorima about an immediate move but he may seek a release from Brisbane if he signs a long-term deal with the Auckland-based club.

Compassionate release inbound.

So after just wasting all that time on having him try to mimic halfbacks, waste a few more years for him to not mimic another player?

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.