Kurt Capewell is overrated

There isn’t a second rower alive who got tackled by more opposition halves than Alex Glenn did. Capewell wasn’t even our worst second rower last year. This thread sucks.
More shows how poor riki was

He wasn’t brought in to be an game breaker like Inglis or a damaging hole runner.

He’s the bloke who sets the standards at training and on field to do the 1% things and add to the football IQ of the club.

Him playing busted towards the end of the year while gutsy was a bad call from him and the coach

He wasn’t brought in to be an game breaker like Inglis or a damaging hole runner.

He’s the bloke who sets the standards at training and on field to do the 1% things and add to the football IQ of the club.

Him playing busted towards the end of the year while gutsy was a bad call from him and the coach

The only stat he was in the top 20 for last season was missed tackles, I'm not exactly sure what standards people think he's setting. Darius Boyd was allegedly one of the best trainers ever and he was still complete shit on the field over his last couple of seasons. Using that as a means to justify his salary or counter-act his performances on the field is crap, he needs to be significantly better in 2023 or he'll find himself very quickly over in England.

Jordan Riki might not be far off either, but at least he's significantly younger and on significantly less coin ($200K less than Capewell, according to that Daily Telegraph article a few months back)

The only stat he was in the top 20 for last season was missed tackles, I'm not exactly sure what standards people think he's setting. Darius Boyd was allegedly one of the best trainers ever and he was still complete shit on the field over his last couple of seasons. Using that as a means to justify his salary or counter-act his performances on the field is crap, he needs to be significantly better in 2023 or he'll find himself very quickly over in England.

Jordan Riki might not be far off either, but at least he's significantly younger and on significantly less coin
($200K less than Capewell, according to that Daily Telegraph article a few months back)
How much are they both on?

How much are they both on?

According to that Daily Telegraph article that revealed all of the player salaries -

Capewell - $525K
Riki - $340K

Capewell is not a problem. He is a solid and well rounded player who actually plays above his ability at times. The guy isn't in the team to be some type of game breaking beast. He is here because he has a reasonable asking price and brings a good work ethic and culture. He suffered a few injuries and continued on. He is exactly the type of player you need peppered in amongst the stars.

Our problem is the stars with giant egos who had more games below 7/10 this year. Or caused club commotion throughout the year. Not the decent club guys who meet or exceed that level each week.

I think Capes signing was needed for the balance of our team. Both on and off the field. He’s an older head who does the little things well. I actually think we are still short 1 or 2 of these guys because at the moment it is just Adam, Capes, Billy, Corey and a bunch of kids. Billy shouldn’t be a leader in an NRL team and Corey is a man child.

That being said, it’s hard to argue anything other than Capewell had a fairly poor season.

I think Capes signing was needed for the balance of our team. Both on and off the field. He’s an older head who does the little things well. I actually think we are still short 1 or 2 of these guys because at the moment it is just Adam, Capes, Billy, Corey and a bunch of kids. Billy shouldn’t be a leader in an NRL team and Corey is a man child.

That being said, it’s hard to argue anything other than Capewell had a fairly poor season.
I think you need to include Jensen in there and Herbie is just about there too.

To me, Kurt is a ‘footy’ player than a game breaker whose mission is just to tackle opposing half’s & barging through opposition defense. Though at times he chooses silly plays, he’s mostly a smart player. He does the 1%’ers which most of our younger players won’t do prior to him coming here. Not that they’ve done the 1%ers in 2022 but that will change now.
During his 1st year with us, he got to know the players, system & now that he has done that in addition to getting his busted body in order, I reckon he’ll have a great season next year along with Adam.

I rarely ever take this claims seriously and I will apply the same here

"Overrated" compared to who? We as a collective group are quick to overrate someone and it's easy to when we've had so many great players go through the club, Capewell wasn't recruited to be the match winner (although he can be, he's proven that multiple times)

What he brought to the club was the work ethic that has passed us by in recent years, he came from the best team in the NRL and I reckon that's why Kevvie went out to bring him to the club

If we can remember that field goal he slotted, the fact he was even in a position to take that kick says all you need to know about why he was brought to the club, he's a hard working/high effort footy player, we haven't had too many of those in the past few years, at least not consistently

I dont think Capes was poor or brilliant, but he wasnt as big an issue for us as some of our biggest earners and best players were. Staggs for example was bang average for one of our supposed best players.

There isn’t a second rower alive who got tackled by more opposition halves than Alex Glenn did. Capewell wasn’t even our worst second rower last year. This thread sucks.
Being over-rated doesn't mean he isn't quality. I think people had higher expectations, and assumed he was something that he isn't just because he came from Penrith.

Capewell is an above average edge player. I think he would be better at 13, but he is still our best edge player.

This man is by far one of the most overrated players in the game, he had one good origin game where he did one lucky ass kick and line break against the worst NSW backline I have ever seen, was an interchange reserve for most of his career and if you look at his entire Penrith career he was constantly overshadowed by Kikau and holding Liam Martin back from a starting spot which didn’t matter cause Capewell is injury prone as hell, not to mention every broncos player whether it would be a staff member, coach or player saying he’s an experienced leader, wtf? This guy just misses tackles, knocks the ball on and can’t defend to save his life plus he is slow and offers literally nothing in attack and Looks gassed af after he makes his first tackle, how can you call this bloke experienced when 4 years ago no one knew who he was nor did anyone care, David Fifita played origin before him. So did Payne and bloody Corey Allan at the same time as him, how is he experienced, I’ve only noticed him the last 4 years and that’s a stretch, Corey Oates is more of a leader and more experienced but doesn’t get anywhere near the same praise, don’t get me wrong capewell seems like a good guy and I respect the staff talking about him in such a high regard but I don’t see it
Penrith saw it. Qld saw it. Broncos have belatedly seen it.

That’s probably enough for me…

He has played from the bench a bit?

Wow. Then I guess he is the first player in history who has improved as his career has gone on, eh?

Jordan Riki might not be far off either, but at least he's significantly younger and on significantly less coin ($200K less than Capewell, according to that Daily Telegraph article a few months back)
Purely on stats, Riki shat all over Kurt and Riki is openly slandered around these parts with zero pushback. Capewell offered more in attack than Riki.

There isn’t a second rower alive who got tackled by more opposition halves than Alex Glenn did.

That would seem to be just what he needed to do ?
Back rower running at the half is pretty rudimentary . Big body on small . Tire out the half so he has less energy to attack with .

I fail to see the point of your comment ?

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.