Langer would be an Immortal if he was from NSW: Bennett

Daley, Fittler,......then............Stuart
Fittler, Daley, Stuart. Whenever penrith or the rorters needed a play Freddy would make something happen. He was atough hombre too. That attempted assassination of him in the GF by Villisanta was brutal and the follow up hit. But Alf is still streets ahead of them all in my book followed by Locky. And the King is the King.

Joey was at his peak when I was an absolute footy nerd. He spent a fair bit of his career behind Kimmorley and a few others in rep teams, won a premiership in a half assed comp, dominated for about two years and then was the 2nd best player in the comp (Behind Lockyer) for the rest of his career. His highlights are in Origin when they had a pretty dominant team.

Alfie was better, Lockyer was much better over a longer period and won much more.

Johns, at his best, was totally incredible

But he wasn't at his best consistently

This gets overlooked and the NSW media focus on his incredible games/moments, and think that's how he played permanently

It's Hayne syndrome, though Hayne eventually got caught out

This gets overlooked and the NSW media focus on his incredible games/moments, and think that's how he played permanently

A reasonably sound observation to make. It was extremely rare when Locky had an off game never mind a shocker and th eonly one I can recall was his first game against the Kiwis. that was a an absolute howler. Yet he bounced back the following game for the Broncs and had an absolute blinder to erase his memory of it, what a champ.

He's one of the best I've seen at club football for sure but the thing that shits me the most is when they talk about his Blues career. Apart from 05, what did he do at that level? When it comes to who was better out of Johns and Alf, I don't know. IMO though, Alf dominated for longer and in an era with stiffer competition. If Alf had been named an Immortal when Johns was and Johns was named tomorrow(?) I would have no real issue with it.

I still think Fittler was better than Johns for club and certainty rep football. Alf was a better halfback Raudonikis thought so too. Early 90s Halfbacks were an exceptional era Toovey/Hasler, Alexander, Stuart, Coleman, Freeman, Sterling, Taylor, Simon, etc Then they all retired and Johns came through.

Last edited:
I still think Fittler was better than Johns for club and certainty rep football. Alf was a better halfback Raudonikis thought so too. Early 90s Halfbacks were an exceptional era Toovey/Hasler, Alexander, Stuart, Coleman, Freeman, Sterling, Taylor, Simon, etc Then they all retired and Johns came through.

Good post and well said.

I honestlty think Alf is the most deserving but your comment may well explain to us best how Andrew Johns was awarded imortalty. Johns seemed to be the icing on the cake of a golden era.

But... Alf was easly better over the duration of his carreer IMHO. I consideted him the best player in the world for a time there. Unstopable from 10m out from the try line in one way or an other. Pure geniusus he was. I will never forget.

Last edited:
It was crystal clear at the time why Johns was made an immortal, people's memories just seem to fade. NSW were in the midst of their losingest ever Origin period. The jerks down south needed something to perk up their fans.

He's one of the best I've seen at club football for sure but the thing that shits me the most is when they talk about his Blues career. Apart from 05, what did he do at that level? When it comes to who was better out of Johns and Alf, I don't know. IMO though, Alf dominated for longer and in an era with stiffer competition. If Alf had been named an Immortal when Johns was and Johns was named tomorrow(?) I would have no real issue with it.

Johns had a few other highlights ('00, '03) but Alf had classic wins in three different decades, three different eras of the game entirely ('88-'89, '98, '01) - classic origin wins that he was instrumental in.

Alf definitely deserves to be an Immortal, more than Mal, and equal with Locky imo.

It was crystal clear at the time why Johns was made an immortal, people's memories just seem to fade. NSW were in the midst of their losingest ever Origin period. The jerks down south needed something to perk up their fans.

Agreed, it's more of a when than a why though. John's talent and influence is undeniable.

John's needed drugs to help him with his career people seem to overlook. Technically, they weren't performance enhancing, but I'm pretty sure he said he used the to cope with the pressure, so without them who knows how he would have gone.

Fading memories are a common thing in RL. Johns being a case in point. Craig Bellamy and the Melbourne Storm is another. But the sport wouldn't function properly if all it's past sins weren't accepted and forgotten about.

Last edited:
I would think most people would have been more than happy with Johns as a league immortal if it had been done 20 years from now and after some other far more deserving players. The problem is not that the selection occurred, it was when it occurred. I also agree with @cakeGG's suggestion of waiting a couple of decades.

Hopefully the NRL gets this one right and chooses older legends of the game. That said, it is the NRL, so they won't get it right.

I would think most people would have been more than happy with Johns as a league immortal if it had been done 20 years from now and after some other far more deserving players. The problem is not that the selection occurred, it was when it occurred. I also agree with @cakeGG's suggestion of waiting a couple of decades.

Hopefully the NRL gets this one right and chooses older legends of the game. That said, it is the NRL, so they won't get it right.

Well in that case I hope they get it wrong and pick Locky. **** em.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • heartly87
  • NSW stables
  • Gaz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • spanky
  • Hoof Hearted
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • marw
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.