Locky and Corey: The Players We Respect The Most

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Players we most respect

They are not the all-time greats of the game or the club.

They are the guys that two of the Broncos' favourite sons - Darren Lockyer and Corey Parker - say are the 'unsung heroes' of the club.

The pair of greats were asked at a recent function to name the players they respected the most.

And while the obvious names crop up as the best ever, when asked who they respected the most, some interesting players popped up.

Parker nominated two 2006 NRL Grand Final teammates - utility player David Stagg and Shaun Berrigan.

Generally a lock, Stagg played a mix of hooker in defence and centre in attack in the 2006 triumph, underlining his ability to do whatever the team needed.

That role helped the lightning-fast Berrigan float in and out of dummy half, a position where he caused the Storm trouble all night.

Berrigan went on to be named the Clive Churchill medallist as man of the match.

"I have played with some of the greats - none more than Darren Lockyer the guy beside me, or Allan Langer," said Parker.

"The thing that makes any organisation great is the collective - I have played with some wonderful players that haven't had all the accolades.

"The David Staggs and the Shaun Berrigans.

"When you go out to play you don't have to look sideways at them to know that they would do their job."

Lockyer said it was a real tradesman-like player that he admired.

Mick de Vere was a sharp-shooting goal kicker who did not possess supreme talents, but never gave in.

His solid play in the centres or on the wing were eventually rewarded with representative selection, and he won three grand finals with the Broncos.

De Vere still works for the Broncos today in a game development role.

"For me the best was 'Alf’ (Langer) - when the Broncos needed to win a game, he wanted the ball and more times than not he would deliver," said Lockyer.

"So it is pretty clear cut for me he was the best.

"In terms of those unsung heroes, people always ask me who I respect the most and you would think it would be someone you played against, like an Andrew Johns.

"But I think Michael de Vere was someone who was so dedicated to the cause and was such a great team player.

"He played for his country and for NSW - remember he got his head stapled back together.

"He typified the culture of the organisation.

"He did whatever he needed to do to get the job done and would go over and above."

For me it was the greatly underrated Gaven Allen. He got virtually no raps at all but he was tough as nails and was the best silent assasin we've had to date. He was the guy who was willing to bleed for the club. Young Flegler reminds me a bit of Jed with the uncomprimising style he hits the ball up. I think he's shaping up to be our toughest prop out of the current bunch.

For me it was the greatly underrated Gaven Allen. He got virtually no raps at all but he was tough as nails and was the best silent assasin we've had to date. He was the guy who was willing to bleed for the club. Young Flegler reminds me a bit of Jed with the uncomprimising style he hits the ball up. I think he's shaping up to be our toughest prop out of the current bunch.
Jed was one of my favorites also along side Peter Ryan

In origin Jed gave Harragon about 13 Kgs advantage but still managed to come out on top. There was one game when Harragon hit Jed with a cheap shot and he stood up to him. On this ocassion Jed copped a few from the bigger and longer reaching Harragon, but I remember the next series (or maybe the one after in 1995) Jed tackled Harragon and I swear it was the biggest hit I have ever seen to this day. I vaguely recall Spud Gillespie hitting Jed with an elbow and nothing was said that night or next day by the MRC. Nothing has changed since the super league wars, getting a fair go from the southerners is just not gonna happen.

Loved Berro. When you think about it, he was a bigger Nikorima. Tried as a half, punted because he couldn't do it consistently, got moved around the place but always put in 100%. Finally found his niche as a hooker at the back end of 2006 onwards. Always put the team first. Champion.

Always had time for John Plath, great attitude and a team player who during his career played every position one time or another, including filling in at prop during a match. You could consider him a less explosive Berrigan but you could always count on him.

A common thread I've noticed in the above are great examples of players where the losses really hurt them ...attitude is another meantioned...no wonder they connected with life long supporters. That being the case, I'd even include Jack Reed. Not the greatest players but really put in. Some of the diamond stud wearing, tattooed brigade of today could learn from all these players listed in this thread.

A common thread I've noticed in the above are great examples of players where the losses really hurt them ...attitude is another meantioned...no wonder they connected with life long supporters. That being the case, I'd even include Jack Reed. Not the greatest players but really put in. Some of the diamond stud wearing, tattooed brigade of today could learn from all these players listed in this thread.

Great point there Rico. As much as I loved watching the big name players like Lewis, Langer, Lockyer, Renouf, Sailor, Webcke and Tallis in action. I also got equal kicks watching the likes of Matterson, Johns, Plath, Ryan, De Vere, Lee and Stagg because I loved seeing those players play with heart and commitment and doing their best to help the team even if they didn't have the abilities or skills to match those big name players.

Remember the effort the boys made against the Wests Tigers back in 2002 when we were missing so much of our first grade side? How could one not sit back and be proud of that? It's up there with the fightback against the Dogs in the 2006 finals series.

If we were losing right now but the boys were demonstrating the sort of heart and effort when we were even struggling back in 1999, I could handle that, but what I'm seeing right now is unacceptable. It comes back to what you expect from your side, your going to go through the highs and the lows, but you should still expect in the majority of situations they will come out and have a serious dig.

Funny how a trait the people being mentioned share, a real a team first attitude. Not the "i want to play this position" attitude. Tunza-played lock, 2nd row and centre, berrigan and plath-everywhere, stagg- lock, 2nd row, centre and devere-centre, wing and utility.

In terms of respect, i think i have to add civo. Gentle giant off the field, speaks well and played hard but fair on the field.

Funny how a trait the people being mentioned share, a real a team first attitude. Not the "i want to play this position" attitude. Tunza-played lock, 2nd row and centre, berrigan and plath-everywhere, stagg- lock, 2nd row, centre and devere-centre, wing and utility.

In terms of respect, i think i have to add civo. Gentle giant off the field, speaks well and played hard but fair on the field.
Tunza even had to pay 5/8 a few times. From memory he was when he knocked the ref out against the tigers. A wild old night ha ha

Darren Smith for me. You won't find anyone who more closely fits the definition of a solid rugby league player.

Having said that , Mick De Vere's origin staple match pretty much sums up the type of players we are missing at present.

Berrigan to centre!! Absolutely loved watching him out there with the ball tucked under his wing running at a hundred miles an hour. Absolute epitome of courage. What a superstar he was. I hope Bird can become half the player he was.
[automerge]1560950511[/automerge]
I remember Sterlo saying Berrigan was the touggest bloke in the comp at one point.

Last edited:
Depends on the criteria exactly.. but Jack Reed was unsung. Always copped more criticism than deserved. Had matches where he got outgunned by a quicker opponent, but generally took the right option with the ball. Could set up his outside man.

Darren Smith and Tonie Carroll.. but that's just listing personal faves.

On a similar vein, watched the 2001 Origin series the other day (forever the greatest narrative with Alife's return) and I'd forgotten just how good Shane Webcke was. Busted a gut in the middle. Made it personal with the other props. Had so many early-set carries as well. Like, getting back for a hit-up on the second tackle after an opposition kick.

Always had time for John Plath, great attitude and a team player who during his career played every position one time or another, including filling in at prop during a match. You could consider him a less explosive Berrigan but you could always count on him.

Plathy has long been one of my favourite players, and I loved Berrigan for the same reason. That's one (of the many) things we're missing right now. Dedicated utilities who are happy to just have a jersey and want to do what needs to be done.

All of our current 'utilities' have eyes on something 'better' and that typifies what's wrong with the Broncos. Seems we have a team of players who are in it for themselves, instead of in it for the team.

Flashy players are fun to watch, but it's the hard workers who get shit done.

Odd thing for me is that l feel Kahu falls into this category. Take away his fragility he always did what was asked of him and never complained. He got moved wherever we needed a hole plugged and did a job without a fuss. Whenever he was getting comfortable in a position he would get injured or moved.

Darren Smith for me. You won't find anyone who more closely fits the definition of a solid rugby league player.

Having said that , Mick De Vere's origin staple match pretty much sums up the type of players we are missing at present.

I was over the moon when we signed Darren Smith, underrated centre/backrower who knew exactly what his job was and made sure to support those big name players when they needed someone to be there. He also equalled Steve Renouf's club record for most tries in a season in 1998, he did that with hard work and a great attitude, not speed, agility or explosive skill.

Last edited:

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.