Locky has two Immortals to thank for his possible inclusion

Does Norm Provan really deserve to be an Immortal? He was what, the 5th best player (at best) on his own team? On NRL 360, amongst all of the superlatives they were using for the other candidates, Provan was described with "you knew what you were going to get each week". Sounds a bit underwhelming considering the company.

His record is obviously outstanding, but if we're going to induct him because he happened to play on a team with 4 other Immortals, we may as well induct Ryan Hoffman while we're there.

He was captain/coach with all those guys in the team.

He was captain/coach with all those guys in the team.
Sure, but being captain doesn't mean you're the best player, it means you're the best leader. The historian discussing the nominations (forget his name) and Middleton had very little to say about his playing ability, which I think says a lot.

Sure, but being captain doesn't mean you're the best player, it means you're the best leader. The historian discussing the nominations (forget his name) and Middleton had very little to say about his playing ability, which I think says a lot.

Yes but it says something when you're captain of those guys and leading them. Wally wasn't even Wynnum captain and he's an immortal. So the opposite can be argued too- surely to be an Immortal you'd be a captain.

To keep your place in a side for 10 premierships and captain coach four of them says a bit. It's hard to comment on style because footage is so rare it's normally the same tries etc being shown.

He's on the trophy too which is a pretty big endorsement that he went all right!

Lockyer and Mal are the only ones I can say I saw their career so i can't comment on his playing but the stories and records of those other guys are all pretty spectacular. Mal, Irvine, Bevan, Coote, Hall, Burge, Messenger and Proven were all in the team of the Century. So they're rated the best in their position from 1908-2008.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Xarr
  • Santa
  • Dazza 92
  • Broncs1459
  • Astro
  • Financeguy
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.