NEWS Lockyer: last year was a unique experience

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
First board meeting of the season this week. Darren Lockyer, being the only one on the entire board who knows his arse from a football will be there, unlike the most recent Old Boys pissup. Hopefully, with Kevvie at the helm, his bros Tallis, Johns and co won't be up his arsecrack about letting the team go to shit under his watch. He's also manning the recruitment and retention committee, which decides the roster. It could do with a shakeup:

“I am committed. I’ve always been about what’s best for the team. That’s always been the motto at the club. I am there as part of an overall team, I’m there to play my part. I do enjoy it. Last year was a difficult year for everyone at the club. It was really disappointing to watch it happen and where we ended up, finishing last, is totally foreign to the club. It was a unique experience you don’t want to go through again. From a board perspective we want to do what we can and provide the support for the executive team, coaching staff and players. We want to put as many support mechanisms as we can around them so they’re set up for success.”

F7eab1c357805bfffb47b32da841de75

The future starts today

“There is a young group there that needs to be led in a training environment. Those experienced guys that have come back, character and attitude is what the club was built on and that’s been important with the older guys coming back. The Broncos don’t have a lot of cap-space so we’re not in the market for (marquee players).”

And here's Petero on this year's crop of veteran signatures:

“It’s been fantastic to have their experience, especially for our younger players. Xavier Coates can see the way David Mead applies himself to training and the professionalism he brings to the club. You can’t undervalue that. The same with John Asiata. He is a wonderful rugby league player. The toughness and ball-playing ability he adds to the pack is something we will really benefit from. It’s been noticeable at training the way he guides our young forwards in and around the ruck. It helps lessen the load on our halves. We haven’t had a ball-playing forward that can direct our forward pack. They are a couple of guys who have come to the club and made a big difference.”

McHunt

Last edited:
The Broncos don’t have a lot of cap-space so we’re not in the market for (marquee players)

How the heck can this be the case? The club keeps saying it and it is just so hard to fathom.

Lose Boyd, Joffa, Bird, Kahu and Fifita and bring in Mead, Copley and Asiata, plus upgrade Herbs and Flegs and somehow have no money left? How much is Macca's final year of his contract??

In fact, I am going to guess at it (and yes, this is a total guess):
Boyd (400k) + Joffa (400k) + Bird (200k) + Kahu (400k) + Fifita (700k was the supposed offer on the lower end) = 2.1 million

I'm going to go with overs here:
Mead (200k) + Copley (200k) + Asiata (300k) + Herbs (300k) + Flegs (600k) = 1.6 million (again overs)

So if Macca is on the reported $600k, from all of this it seems we have possibly (pure conjecture) turned the loss of elite talent in Bird, Fifita and former rep players in Joffa, Kahu and Boyd into a 100k deficit. What the heck??

Last edited:
First board meeting of the season this week. Darren Lockyer, being the only one on the entire board who knows his arse from a football will be there, unlike the most recent Old Boys pissup. Hopefully, with Kevvie at the helm, his bros Tallis, Johns and co won't be up his arsecrack about letting the team go to shit under his watch. He's also manning the recruitment and retention committee, which decides the roster. It could do with a shakeup:

“I am committed. I’ve always been about what’s best for the team. That’s always been the motto at the club. I am there as part of an overall team, I’m there to play my part. I do enjoy it. Last year was a difficult year for everyone at the club. It was really disappointing to watch it happen and where we ended up, finishing last, is totally foreign to the club. It was a unique experience you don’t want to go through again. From a board perspective we want to do what we can and provide the support for the executive team, coaching staff and players. We want to put as many support mechanisms as we can around them so they’re set up for success.”

View attachment 11306
The future starts today

“There is a young group there that needs to be led in a training environment. Those experienced guys that have come back, character and attitude is what the club was built on and that’s been important with the older guys coming back. The Broncos don’t have a lot of cap-space so we’re not in the market for (marquee players).”

And here's Petero on this year's crop of veteran signatures:

“It’s been fantastic to have their experience, especially for our younger players. Xavier Coates can see the way David Mead applies himself to training and the professionalism he brings to the club. You can’t undervalue that. The same with John Asiata. He is a wonderful rugby league player. The toughness and ball-playing ability he adds to the pack is something we will really benefit from. It’s been noticeable at training the way he guides our young forwards in and around the ruck. It helps lessen the load on our halves. We haven’t had a ball-playing forward that can direct our forward pack. They are a couple of guys who have come to the club and made a big difference.”

McHunt
If he wanted to really do what's best for the team he'd throw a set of boots on and steer our football team around the paddock for the next 26 Rounds.

Last edited:
How the heck can this be the case? The club keeps saying it and it is just so hard to fathom.

Lose Boyd, Joffa, Bird, Kahu and Fifita and bring in Mead, Copley and Asiata, plus upgrade Herbs and Flegs and somehow have no money left? How much is Macca's final year of his contract??
If you don't like it mate your only hope at this point is to go and support the Titans or Roosters where 'cap space' is only used in conversations about headware.

Last edited:
If you don't like it mate your only hope at this point is to go and support the Titans or Roosters where 'cap space' is only used in conversations about headware.

I'll never support another team but I can sure as heck be upset with the incompetence of my own club.

Boyd (400k) + Joffa (400k) + Bird (200k) + Kahu (400k) + Fifita (700k was the supposed offer on the lower end) = 2.1 million

Mead (200k) + Copley (200k) + Asiata (300k) + Herbs (300k) + Flegs (600k) = 1.6 million (again overs)

So if Macca is on the reported $600k, from all of this it seems we have possibly (pure conjecture) turned the loss of elite talent in Bird, Fifita and former rep players in Joffa, Kahu and Boyd into a 100k deficit. What the heck??

I'm guessing that the new MO across the board is not to advertise a whole lot of cap space. Playerse will come in knocking wanting upgrades, new players will want over market value.

Basically we need to avoid being 'PaulWhited' in the future, and pretending we don't have cap space might one way to do it.

I'd say he's talking this year and being rather coy about it.
Kevvie has mentioned that they're keeping things close to their chest , maybe we should just wait and see. I mean most have stated that we don't want things playing out in the media.

I'm guessing that the new MO across the board is not to advertise a whole lot of cap space. Playerse will come in knocking wanting upgrades, new players will want over market value.

Basically we need to avoid being 'PaulWhited' in the future, and pretending we don't have cap space might one way to do it.

But if you look at the figures above, it may well not actually be pretending. Again, I have guessed at wages but remember, we are apparently paying most of Bird's wage (which still ticks me off no end) and a chunk of Bird's wage as well. We also apparently re-signed Flegler on massive overs too.

I am also not necessarily blaming any one person for this, though it certainly has White's fingerprints all over it. That said, this mess occurred under Lockyer's watch, he deserves as much blame as the next person and he is horrible at answering questions as a board member should. Like in this interview, he constantly reveals too much information without meaning to and is just another form of incompetence from people at the top. He was a great player but unfortunately seems totally out of his depth in a management role.

I'd say he's talking this year and being rather coy about it.
Kevvie has mentioned that they're keeping things close to their chest , maybe we should just wait and see. I mean most have stated that we don't want things playing out in the media.

Totally agree with you and I hope like crazy this is just being coy but Lockyer repeatedly looked like a deer in the headlights last year when asked questions about Siebold's contract, Siebold's taking of leave and other things that I can't recall off the top of my head right now. I don't think he actually knows how to be coy.

it isn't the case...

all clubs cry poor ... hell, we've seen clubs say they have no cap space, 10 seconds before they sign an 800k player

But if you look at the figures above, it may well not actually be pretending. Again, I have guessed at wages but remember, we are apparently paying most of Bird's wage (which still ticks me off no end) and a chunk of Bird's wage as well. We also apparently re-signed Flegler on massive overs too.

I am also not necessarily blaming any one person for this, though it certainly has White's fingerprints all over it. That said, this mess occurred under Lockyer's watch, he deserves as much blame as the next person and he is horrible at answering questions as a board member should. Like in this interview, he constantly reveals too much information without meaning to and is just another form of incompetence from people at the top. He was a great player but unfortunately seems totally out of his depth in a management role.

They also might have a bunch of stuff earmarked for 22, so virtually having spent the money already.

Totally agree with you and I hope like crazy this is just being coy but Lockyer repeatedly looked like a deer in the headlights last year when asked questions about Siebold's contract, Siebold's taking of leave and other things that I can't recall off the top of my head right now. I don't think he actually knows how to be coy.
Yeah look I'm happy to give locky another go , only because it's been mentioned that white and Nolan are the main culprits.
And having locky involved in the club is better than him not imo , if in fact he isn't doing his job then I'd rather move him into a different role than punt him altogether.

We keep hearing about no cap space. Either it’s a genius ploy to play hardball with Staggs, Coates, and Dearden or the club is as big of a mess as the more pessimistic members have been saying.

Absolutely baffling.

We keep hearing about no cap space. Either it’s a genius ploy to play hardball with Staggs, Coates, and Dearden or the club is as big of a mess as the more pessimistic members have been saying.

Absolutely baffling.

Like all fans, I hope like crazy it is the former but legitimately fear, based on the mess of the last few years, it is the latter.

Again, I have guessed at wages but remember, we are apparently paying most of Bird's wage (which still ticks me off no end) and a chunk of Bird's wage as well.
I was going to point out the error in this bit but knowing White's superb negotiation skills I wouldn't too surprised to find out it's accurate.

And yet my mind returns to either White or Morris saying we wouldn’t pay above $850k for Fifita...

So we’re not in the market for a marquee player apparently due to a lack of cap space, but somehow had $850k lying around for Fifita?

What? This does not compute Darren...

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Astro
  • Cavalo
  • cento
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • Robboi_321
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Locky24
  • Griffo
  • Allo
  • Hurrijo
  • Kev_Guz
  • scobie
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.