NEWS Lockyer: last year was a unique experience

And yet my mind returns to either White or Morris saying we wouldn’t pay above $850k for Fifita...

So we’re not in the market for a marquee player apparently due to a lack of cap space, but somehow had $850k lying around for Fifita?

What? This does not compute Darren...
I can only assume it would’ve resulted in a mad scramble to move on any players they could.

I can only assume it would’ve resulted in a mad scramble to move on any players they could.
They also didn't expect to pay the full freight for McCullough.

Don't forget the day after Fifita signed his Gold Coast deal, McCullough suffered his season ending injury.

It was a horror season, but that round in particular maybe the worst the Broncos have ever been through. They have a rare victory snuffed out in the dying minutes against Cronulla, they lose their best prospect to their local rivals and then they're stuck with a player they wanted to move on.

Preparing for the worst, clearly isn’t their speciality then... Let’s say for argument sake Fifita did sign... McCullough still exercises his contractual rights, and we are in breach to the tune of $850k (or more a season)?

This is how a club should be run? Personally I can’t believe even Lockyer, Morris and White’s arithmetic is that bad.

Even under their reign we’ve never breached the main cap, only 2nd tier due to issues beyond our control (injuries etc).

Last edited:
Preparing for the worst, clearly isn’t their speciality then... Let’s say for argument sake Fifita did sign... McCullough still exercises his contractual rights, and we are in breach to the tune of $850k (or more a season)?

This is how a club should be run? Personally I can’t believe even Lockyer, Morris and White’s arithmetic is that bad.

Even under their reign we’ve never breached the main cap, only 2nd tier due to issues beyond our control (injuries etc).
They may have frontloaded contracts for this year to increase the war chest for 2022 and beyond. All of that goes to shit though unless they have specific targets in mind and actually get off their butts and get their signatures. As I have moaned in the past, we suck at succession planning and have done since about 2006.

And yet my mind returns to either White or Morris saying we wouldn’t pay above $850k for Fifita...

So we’re not in the market for a marquee player apparently due to a lack of cap space, but somehow had $850k lying around for Fifita?

What? This does not compute Darren...

it is the usual crying poor (salary cap wise) that all clubs do when talking to the media. (especially when you have 2 highly rated players to sign)

the alternative is that the NRL allowed us to register contracts for 2021 that would have put us around $1.5 million to $2 million. it's not something the NRL do

it is the usual crying poor (salary cap wise) that all clubs do when talking to the media. (especially when you have 2 highly rated players to sign)

the alternative is that the NRL allowed us to register contracts for 2021 that would have put us around $1.5 million to $2 million. it's not something the NRL do
Well, nothing stops the broncos from making Fifita a poorly thought out $850k offer. It’s once he signs it and they try to register the contract that the NRL would block it. We won’t know though because things never got that far.

If we were to have resigned fifita, in all likelihood to stay under the cap, i think we would have had to lose flegler, herbie (who would have had to be replaced by minimum wage players) and would not have signed asiata.

Last edited:
Yeah look I'm happy to give locky another go , only because it's been mentioned that white and Nolan are the main culprits.
And having locky involved in the club is better than him not imo , if in fact he isn't doing his job then I'd rather move him into a different role than punt him altogether.
5/8 might be nice?

If we were to have resigned fifita, in all likelihood to stay under the cap, i think we would have had to lose flegler, herbie (who would have had to be replaced by minimum wage players) and would not have signed asiata.
I think there is a reasonable argument to say you'd take that trade TBH. The other guys are likely to be fairly replaceable but Fifita looks to be a bit of a generational talent and they certainly don't come along every day.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Robboi_321
  • Jedhead
  • Locky24
  • Griffo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Hurrijo
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Kev_Guz
  • scobie
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Financeguy
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.